What is this called and where can I get one?

A shelter I started volunteering at uses a different style of leash then what I'm used to.

Its a regular looking slip leash, but you can turn it into a harness. I know I'm probably not explaining it clearly.

Miakoda

A shelter I started volunteering at uses a different style of leash then what I'm used to.

Its a regular looking slip leash, but you can turn it into a harness. I know I'm probably not explaining it clearly.
We just always used the standard cheap-o slip-leads (bought in bulk) and improvised.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
LOL those are just Mendota Big Dog Walkers I think - tey aren't technically designed to be made into harnesses.

I'll ask them the next time I volunteer (should be Thursday).

I need something for my collar houdini, Abby. No matter what style or how tight, she will slip it. She has managed to slip a choke collar too. Thick neck, small head. :rolleyes:

Has anyone who has used the "Harness Lead" tell me if it actually stopped the pulling? Both of my dogs are trained not to pull, but my parents dog pulls like a plow horse.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, to me it just looks like they've taken the lead and done a leash wrap with it. You can make even a normal 6ft nylon lead into a leash wrap.

As for pulling, I find that a harness doesn't typically do a lot to stop pulling, and in fact in some dogs it encourages it - it takes the pressure off their neck, which is good, but without that negative they are pretty free to go to town; and also in some dogs they kind of dig that opposition reflex thing and pull harder in a harness because it's fun.

The idea behind a leash wrap, when positioned high up on the dog, is that when it tightens, it tightens right around the armpits and "pinches." As to if this actually does anything to teach the dog pulling = pain and discourages pulling, eh... it doesn't seem to do so for most. Part of that might be the wrap has a tendency to slip down along the dog pretty easily, so it's rarely in the "correct" position to pinch the armpits of the dog, which makes it ineffective. Also, most of these dogs have been straining on their collar for so long, choking themselves, and they have basically decided pulling is more rewarding than not feeling pain or not choking - so trying to pinch their armpits instead isn't going to do much either.

What I have noticed about doing a leash wrap or using a harness is it makes it a lot easier for the handler to control the dog even if the dog IS pulling, and takes a lot of the strain off their arm. With the handler feeling a lot less like they're just being dragged all over the place and their arm is being yanked out of their socket, they're better able to actually train the dog. But it's not a magic bullet or anything in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Staff online

Members online