Breed(s) you would get except for...

Torch

Do they have less of a chance for DA? Because I LOVE me some Staffies. Every single one I've met has been awesome. And the fact that they are small really appeals to me, too. I don't want a dog park dog, but I do want a dog that is fine with household dogs and is polite enough to not want to eat other strange dogs on first introduction.
Honestly any bull breed has a strong potential for DA. I've known of staffies with BAD DA. Some breeders have had success with more dog friendly lines, but it's still a risk. You have to remember that today's bulldogs (APBT, SBT, AST, Bull terrier, etc) all came from bull and terrier crosses, both of which aren't known for being dog friendly. Hell, I saw Scotties at an AKC show wanting to KILL each other. That's a terrier for you.

I'm pretty much stuck on my German/Belgian Shepherd types :)

I'd definitely like to try a Border Collie at some point. Or an ACD. But not now because too many dogs ;)

BostonBanker

I may decide to go small for my next dog, and papillon is really tempting to me, but I worry about them being able to keep up and not get injured with my lifestyle. I probably won't end up going with anything as small as I'd kind of like because of that.

Irish Wolfhounds are my favorite big dogs, and I would adore one some day, except that I couldn't handle the lifespan.

Kelpies were very high on my list for a while until I met some, and they were just too physical and...I don't know. Something about how they interact I didn't like. Koolies are off my list because of that experience - until I can actually spend time with a breed, I'll never make that leap.

ACD, except possible dog and human aggression.

Mals except the protective drive.

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
I would love a Malinois, but I know unequivocally that I am not suited for one. I admire them from afar. Same with Koolies. I have very bad Mal & Koolie envy from this forum (you know which Chazzers you are).

I'd like a Gt. Schnauzer, but for their short lifespans. I'd love a CKCS but for their health issues overall. They are such happy, sweet little dogs.

I'd love a pittie type dog, but for... well, right now, I just don't have the room.

Golden, gah, I love the picture but every time I spend extensive time with them they drive me insane. Believe it or not they are too loving. LOL The insistent smoothing of their heads into my body drives me batty. (It's not you, goldens, it's me)
I feel the same way about goldens - objectively they'd be a great fit but whenever I'm around them for extended periods of time, I find something about them exhausting. Lovely dogs but just not for me!

I know this has already been stated many times, but I'd love a pit/pit mix except for the DA propensity.

Irish Wolfhound or Scottish Deerhound except for the health problems and short lifespan.

Koolie except for the lack of breeders in the US (I also am definitely not set up for a high-energy herding dog at this point in my life)

Icelandic Sheepdog or Sheltie except for the barking

Toller except for health reasons and temperament weirdness - I've met some lovely Tollers but I've also met lots of strange, nervy dogs, which puts me off a little. Also, not such a big fan of the scream

Magyar Agar except for the lack of breeders in the US

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Goldendoodles.
I love the mop like looks, I love the doodledoo personality, I love how happy they are...
but finding a breeder that A) Is responsible and B) isn't using bad examples (health or temperament wise) of each breed to create this mix... is a problem.

Not to mention the total inaccuracies when it comes to "type" there is a specific type I like. More poodle-than golden and with the right face/snout lol and I can't expect to know that from a young pup!

Members online

No members online now.