Yet another "what breed?" thread

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I feel like I post one of these threads every few months. I'm pretty sure I know what my next dog will be, but I like getting ideas on here in case I've overlooked any breeds!

I want NextDog to be 25-65 lbs, preferably in the 30-50 range. I strongly prefer soft, silky coats, feathery but not hugely dense. The only types of coat I for sure don't want are super short (think Vizslas) or wiry.

I like active but not insane, good off switch (trained or natural - as long as it's there eventually), relatively easy to train but also intelligent/thinking. I like a bit of naughtiness and sassiness. I want a dog that learns things fairly easily but don't need or want robotic obedience. I do want a dog that is very handler oriented.

Affectionate is a big one for me. I don't do aloof, independent dogs. Cuddly is also important. I'm a very touchy feely and spend a lot of time with the dogs giving scratches, belly rubs and snuggling.

Behavior around other dogs is very important. I need polite. Those dogs that are super physical, barreling into other dogs, body slamming and pawing - that's not going to work. Rowan would be *miserable*. I put him through enough bringing Riff home, and Riff eventually learned not to be pushy with him. The dogs that Rowan actually likes tend to be the ones not interested in him. If he meets a dog and the dog isn't rushing to greet him, he's far more inclined to make friends. His play style tends toward chasing games rather than rough housing. I think that's a big part of why he likes herders so much.

It's not that I don't care how Riff feels about the next dog - he's just much easier to please. He thinks that all dogs are pretty cool. A dog that would play with him occasionally is really all he wants.

I like to dabble in sports but I'm not looking to be really competitive yet so that's not a big factor. I like a good medium ground between soft and hard.

Dog will probably come from a breeder, but I'm tentatively open to the right rescue.

Any ideas?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
**** you had aussie right up until the rude playing part :rofl1: Says Merlin who thinks full body checks and barking in faces is completely normal play behavior

I have met a few standard poodles that are right on the money though!

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I LOVE Aussies but yeah, Riff says like one and it drives me nuts, lol. I haven't completely ruled them out because I feel like they can learn when it is or isn't appropriate (like, with a grumpy housemate) but still.

crazedACD

What about setters? Irish or English? I think they check all your boxes, are gentle-ish but still active. They aren't always the sharpest in the shed but they are overall good dogs and do fine in sports.

the right English Shepherd could work for you. Hudson is much more of a full-body contact type dog. But I know his one sister is much more....normal. I know of a few sheppies that really have minimal interest in playing. They'd rather supervise.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I'm not a big fan of Irish Setters (for myself) - they're a little too independent and ... spacey, for lack of a better term? I don't mean that like the reputation they have for being dumb... more like I've been told by Irish Setter people that they're very into their own thing and easily distracted from what you might want them to do.

I do like English Setters. The only personal experience I have is with a field type, and I loved her. I like what I've read about bench bred dogs, too, although I find them less appealing aesthetically... not the end of the world though. I'm not sure what kind of work ethic they have, though. That's some something I'd need to look more into.

I love English Shepherds! They're definitely on my someday list.

I've considered an adult BC too, probably a rescue, where I could really get a feel for temperament/activity. I think the right one would be a good fit.

Members online

No members online now.