Adoption Requirements?

BostonBanker

Eh, I have found my rescues will relax some of the rules if one is willing to work with them. I have no issues with rescues being as particular as they want, its their blood, sweat, and tears going into these dogs. Do I think some may be shooting themselves in the foot, yep.
That's better than I could have phrased it. Honestly, not one of the requirements listed in the original post bothers me other than the random visits after adoption (and I suspect that, as someone mentioned, that's more of an emergency thing than a regular occurrence - but I still wouldn't do that). The lies I've seen from potential adopters blows my mind. My friend had a dog listed as no kids. The person filled out the application with no children listed. Sounded great, showed up to meet the dog...with two young kids in tow. Because the people "were sure the dog would be fine with their kids". Mind you, they had never met the dog. They could have very easily have shown up without the kids for the visit and gone home with the dog to their kids.

As for references - ask people at school? I served as a reference recently for someone at work, who I don't know at all outside of work. I was clear to the rescue about that, but was able to say that I'd worked with the guy a bit, found him responsible, had seen his current dog once at a company picnic and it was in good condition. It doesn't need to be a soulmate to be able to say "yes, this person is who they say they are".

I've seen enough breeder dogs end up in terrible situations that some days I think the breeders are the ones who need to step up their game in terms of placement.

@ BostonBanker: That's just the thing - I don't know anyone at school. I literally do not talk to people. I go to lecture, take my notes, and go home. I don't speak to a single soul in this city whatsoever unless it's a cashier or someone at a store. I did explain this to the rescue mentioned in the original post - that I didn't know anyone other than family who could act as a reference - and I was told references are required and they "found it hard to believe people don't have friends". I'm really not sure what to say to that - I don't have friends and I'm totally fine with it, but these rescues don't seem to be.

I do understand people lie. I do get that. But for me, I just find these procedures incredibly invasive and they just don't sit right with me.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
This is why rescues don't appeal to me.

Happy is from a rescue and the process was a little annoying, although I think they skipped some things just due to really wanting her to get adopted (special needs senior who had been at the rescue a while with 0 interest). I'm pretty sure they normally do a home visit, but we never had one.

I was willing to jump through a couple hoops for her, but at the end of the day I would have been fine walking away from it if they were going to make it too difficult (which almost happened - just because my guys aren't up to date on vaccines!)

I've had much more pleasant experiences talking with breeders and my Craigslist adoption was pretty smooth and worked out well, too.

The contracts for my dogs from breeders were typical references, vet reference, and that the dog would be returned not sold or given away, unless the breeder approved the new home, and that if they found out that the was not being cared for they retained the right to take the dog back. But it was also done more on who I was as a person rather then what boxes I checked on a form. And I do agree that they are the rescues dogs, but it doesn't surprise me to see the same dogs on their pages for several years at a time.

Thankfully there is no shortage of people in my particular city who make poor life choices and rehome animals for every ridicules reason you can imagine. "I didn't know a puppy was so much work" "moving back home can't take dog/cat" "I work long hours". "Just had a baby and it and the 6 month old puppy are just too much", and my very favourite "allergies".

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Yeah, I'm really not ok with those. I mean, they can do whatever they want but I won't ever be adopting from a rescue that thinks they can do random home visits. Nor would I sign a contract from a breeder that said anything similar.

I also get the idea of a scheduled home visit before you adopt but I'm not willing to do it. I don't begrudge them it but it's skeeves me out.

All that being said, I don't even really bother looking at rescues anymore. When we were looking for Fergus I ended up contacting a good number of rescues about their policies about already owned dogs having to be altered and never heard back from any of them except for the one I had contacted when we were looking at getting a cat that told me under no uncertain terms they don't adopt cats out to houses with intact dogs.

I'm pretty set on breeders and/or craigslist rehomes.
This is what I love about small-time breed specific rescues. Yes, we have requirements... but honestly? If you are up front and email us and we get to know you and your situation I highly doubt you will have issues. I would have had no issue adopting to a responsible person with intact dogs.

I adopted Rider from a huge rescue while living in a pop-up and no home visit. It's possible if you reach out to them.

@meepitsmeagan: It may have just been the ones I spoke to then, because all three in the area were inflexible with me. Didn't want to get to know me or my situation regarding the references and frankly one was outright rude with some of the comments. I was highly interested in the one but after experiences like the ones I had I'm just going to end up sticking to the city pound and shelter. Less hassle and I still came out of it with a great dog.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
@meepitsmeagan: It may have just been the ones I spoke to then, because all three in the area were inflexible with me. Didn't want to get to know me or my situation regarding the references and frankly one was outright rude with some of the comments. I was highly interested in the one but after experiences like the ones I had I'm just going to end up sticking to the city pound and shelter. Less hassle and I still came out of it with a great dog.
What a bummer. Those rescues aren't doing themselves or the dogs any favors.

SpringerLover

This is what I love about small-time breed specific rescues. Yes, we have requirements... but honestly? If you are up front and email us and we get to know you and your situation I highly doubt you will have issues. I would have had no issue adopting to a responsible person with intact dogs.
ESRA is far from small-time, but we are breed specific. And each dog and home are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. I seriously love this group as a whole.

amberdyan

That's really unfortunate for those dogs. I have some close friends who tried to adopt from a greyhound rescue and got denied immediately- not phone, not e-mail, they didn't talk to a single person... because their backyard fence isn't tall enough. Even though they specifically stated that they had greyhounds before and the dog would never be outside unsupervised or off-leash in an area that wasn't fenced in. They were pretty offensive when my friends called and just told them "you can't adopt one of our dogs. Period." The whole situation stinks : (

yoko

I really wanted to get a small dog maybe even a certain breed of dog for my next dog but looking at some of the requirements of breed rescues really turn me off.

I'll probably end up just visiting random county shelters until I find the dog that I want. I'd rather do that and adopt from them and know that the dog I adopted is actually mine without allowing strangers over to case my house.

Members online

No members online now.