Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Why do people expect 6 week old puppies to be housebroken???? Crate trained? Potty pad trained? They are *babies*. The fact that they keep their kennel clean and poop and pee in their litter is a good enough foundation. If you want a trained dog, get a *dog*, not a puppy. You are going to, you know. Crate train and house break a puppy when you bring it home at 7 weeks. They don't come with bladder control and an understanding of being alone.
Ugh the worst. I feel for you. "Um, you told me he was good when left alone. He chewed my TV cord and peed on my bed. I think he was acting out."

I said he was good alone when CRATED.
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM

Leo got to experience his first ever thunderstorm today (we just don't get them in California, practically ever).

He was completely unfazed.
Until it started pouring. And then he was slightly unhappy, because he hates the rain. But yay for no noise phobia.

Leo: 1.5 year old border collie/cattle dog mix
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Bat Ears Only

I was worried we were going to get rained out at Bark at the Park in Lancaster, but after a brief shower it's back to sunny as usual. We don't really get prolonged rain. Or thunderstorms. Or much rain at all.

Brisbane CGC: ACD/devil
Ru: just like a dog only smaller
Brisbane's Bark Blog
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Fiona and two crazy poops

I became frustrated about being possibly blown off too early- the nose work trainer replied to my email last night and told us that we could come in to test out the class this morning! SO WE WENT.

Lancer was his shy/stiff self at first, but abruptly loved it by the 2nd round! It was an indoor location, one room, and many boxes. The class had only three other people at various levels of NW. I also learned a lot about nose work handling and both what to do and what not to do from the mistakes/successes of the other handlers. And Lancer very quickly got the gist of it and enjoyed it all very much + lots of high-pitched sounds while working.

Lancer's still using treats obviously, but Nicole (the trainer) thinks he can move into odors very soon... hopefully the next class in two weeks.

The class was indeed very conscious of reactive dogs. All the dogs waited in their cars as each dog took turns entering the room. A+++ environment for Lancer. I shouldn't start talking about NW trials this early, but Lancer is sharp at this game!

Nicole was very knowledgeable, and explained a lot of useful info and answered questions between each round of dogs. Her malinois is her search and rescue dog, and then she has a shar pei.

Lancer & Rara
Lancer - Aussie
Rara - MAS
Fiona - human

Old Today, 08:09 AM
Top Dog

Training a bouncing, hopping, bitey face dog to walk nicely on a leash...well, bites, frankly. I am getting fed up. I am going to give it one more week, and then I will give up and let her be her and just do nosework with her. Breaks my heart but she just does not want to listen to me. She listens in the house, outside in the yard mostly, but apparently walking on a leash is just one giant game. It's like she becomes deaf. We can't praise her because then she gets super bouncy and happy and wants to tug.

I read that I should exercise her before a walk, but she had the energy of the energizer bunny. For as smart as she is, she can NOT understand walking nicely.
Addie - Bi-Black Sheltie. 11/26/14.

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. - Chinese Proverb

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler

Last edited by SoCrafty; Today at 08:27 AM.