Rant! Poodle owners

Standard poodle is my pick for next dog, especially if I can find one in rescue.

Interesting pick for me as I have always been drawn to bully breeds and dogs with big fat meatheads.

Doberluv

Awww....Locke. Adorable and expressive faces. Look at those muddy paws. I bet they have the potential to get very messy when in the great outdoors. I love their hair, the feel of that soft, curly stuff. But I am so not used to the grooming. That would be an adaptation for sure. Just looking at your dogs and not being able to run my fingers through their hair is killing me. LOL. You guys have really made my day. Your pictures are great.:)

Sparrow

Standard poodle is my pick for next dog, especially if I can find one in rescue.

Interesting pick for me as I have always been drawn to bully breeds and dogs with big fat meatheads.
Same here! There are actually a few breeds I am still looking at, but I will have a Spoo (or a Klein) some day. I thought I'd never have anything but Pits/mixes of them, and I never cared for Poodles. The big ones kinda freaked me out.

I still don't care for the look of the shaved snouts for the most part, but I'm crazy about their appearance in certain clips (or when left natural.) My brother didn't believe me when I showed him a pic of a Poodle without its face done. He swore it was a Labradoodle. When I first realized they'd be a good match for me, I started a folder on my computer called "Poodles are cute and good," so I would have ammo to back me up when I got brave enough to tell my anti-poodle family about my plans. :D My dad was actually accepting of it, to my astonishment. I guess he has faith in me, given how in love he is with my Zoe.

My brother is less convinced. He's getting a house and a wife, and loves Labs and Goldens, and asked me what breeds there are that he might like that don't shed as much. I don't think he'll ever be won over on Poodles, but I tried explaining to him that they are every bit the hunting dogs that his favorites are.

I had a dream last night about a litter of Poodle puppies after reading this thread. :p

crazedACD

I still don't care for the look of the shaved snouts for the most part, but I'm crazy about their appearance in certain clips (or when left natural.) My brother didn't believe me when I showed him a pic of a Poodle without its face done.
I'm extremely picky on how I would prefer mine clipped, I could never show because I wouldn't want to keep mine in the show clip!

This clip is just about what I like, the dog on the right :D I love a short clip with a clean face, and some nice head and feet poof.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Wesley is shaved down all over, it's nice and easy to maintain (no mats!), and he's not bothered by the cold like that anymore than with long hair. We cut his hair ourselves-if you go to a groomer, it does get expensive. I really won't mind having a dog with fur when I get my border collie-I feel like the shedding will be less of a pain then the hair brushing/cutting.

He's gone through several styles: goldendoodle until he was 8 months old or so, puppy cut, and some others that I don't know the technical names of.

Doberluv

Wesley is shaved down all over, it's nice and easy to maintain (no mats!), and he's not bothered by the cold like that anymore than with long hair. We cut his hair ourselves-if you go to a groomer, it does get expensive. I really won't mind having a dog with fur when I get my border collie-I feel like the shedding will be less of a pain then the hair brushing/cutting.

He's gone through several styles: goldendoodle until he was 8 months old or so, puppy cut, and some others that I don't know the technical names of.
You're not allowed to post without pictures of Wesley. :p

Yeah, I was thinking it would be a good idea to learn how to clip to avoid the cost of a professional groomer. That grooming though, does worry me. I'm lazy that way and have always had short or smooth coated dogs. The GSDs were a little longer hair and needed more brushing than the Doberman and Chihuahuas. My Lab too had a lot of thick hair and needed some heavy duty brushing. But having these smooth coated dogs has spoiled me. It would be an adjustment.

Doberluv

I'm extremely picky on how I would prefer mine clipped, I could never show because I wouldn't want to keep mine in the show clip!

This clip is just about what I like, the dog on the right :D I love a short clip with a clean face, and some nice head and feet poof.
I like that too Crazed. I don't know if the face would have to be shaved, but I would like it clipped close...maybe have a little short, wavy stuff on the muzzle. But yeah....kind of even all over would suit me. Those are really pretty dogs. I am loving the pictures.:)

Doberluv

Same here! There are actually a few breeds I am still looking at, but I will have a Spoo (or a Klein) some day. I thought I'd never have anything but Pits/mixes of them, and I never cared for Poodles. The big ones kinda freaked me out.

I still don't care for the look of the shaved snouts for the most part, but I'm crazy about their appearance in certain clips (or when left natural.) My brother didn't believe me when I showed him a pic of a Poodle without its face done. He swore it was a Labradoodle. When I first realized they'd be a good match for me, I started a folder on my computer called "Poodles are cute and good," so I would have ammo to back me up when I got brave enough to tell my anti-poodle family about my plans. :D My dad was actually accepting of it, to my astonishment. I guess he has faith in me, given how in love he is with my Zoe.

My brother is less convinced. He's getting a house and a wife, and loves Labs and Goldens, and asked me what breeds there are that he might like that don't shed as much. I don't think he'll ever be won over on Poodles, but I tried explaining to him that they are every bit the hunting dogs that his favorites are.

I had a dream last night about a litter of Poodle puppies after reading this thread. :p
It's interesting how our likes and dislikes evolve over time. Years ago, a Poodle would have been the last dog on my dog breed wants. LOL. In fact, so would Chihuahuas have been. It was always GSDs, Labs, Dobermans, Lab mixes. Now I'm just enthralled. I love my Chihuahuas...might simply wind up with another one of those. But Poodles are also intriguing to me and I have had fun trying out different breeds over the years.

So, it should be interesting how it goes for you. You can show your family pictures of Poodles retrieving ducks...being the hunting dogs they are. That ought to appeal to their macho thing. LOL. I just like how versatile they are. They're so athletic and swift, springy and agile. And smarter than a whip. So, that's a lot of what appeals to me. Plus they don't tend toward dog aggression....something I really don't want to deal with again. It's a p.i.t.a.

Red Chrome

I want a white Standard Poodle to do Schutzhund with....I'd keep it in a full continental clip and dye it pretty colors.

I have a secret love for Poodles.

Flyinsbt

It's interesting how our likes and dislikes evolve over time. Years ago, a Poodle would have been the last dog on my dog breed wants. LOL. In fact, so would Chihuahuas have been. It was always GSDs, Labs, Dobermans, Lab mixes. Now I'm just enthralled. I love my Chihuahuas...might simply wind up with another one of those. But Poodles are also intriguing to me and I have had fun trying out different breeds over the years.

So, it should be interesting how it goes for you. You can show your family pictures of Poodles retrieving ducks...being the hunting dogs they are. That ought to appeal to their macho thing. LOL. I just like how versatile they are. They're so athletic and swift, springy and agile. And smarter than a whip. So, that's a lot of what appeals to me. Plus they don't tend toward dog aggression....something I really don't want to deal with again. It's a p.i.t.a.
I know nothing about these people, so can't tell you whether they are responsible breeders or not. But there are lots and lots of photos of hunting Poodles on their site:
http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/index.html

Sparrow

I want a white Standard Poodle to do Schutzhund with....I'd keep it in a full continental clip and dye it pretty colors.

I have a secret love for Poodles.
I read in a Poodle forum that someone was going to do that with their Spoo, only they do SAR. They were going to do a show clip and I think maybe even dye her pink for a test she was doing. :D

I know nothing about these people, so can't tell you whether they are responsible breeders or not. But there are lots and lots of photos of hunting Poodles on their site:
http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/index.html
Here is another: http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/

Doberluv

Awesome looking dogs in those links. I think that's great that they're working them as hunting dogs. Of course, anyone can make a website and I know nothing really, about these breeders. But they look good as far as one can tell. It looks like they do lots of health testing and the second one explains how they breed more in detail. Pretty interesting even though I can't understand all of it. Thanks for sharing the links.

RC...what you describe would take the Schutzhund world by surprise, wouldn't it. LOL.

Locke

For all those with a secret love of poodles, GO FOR IT! It'll be the best decision you'll ever make.

My breed preference is highly influenced by working at a vet clinic. Some of the nicest dogs I know are standard poodles, Brittany spaniels and Tibetan terriers which is how they were added to my list. The fact that I live in Ontario has forcibly pushed me away from pitbulls although they'll always have my heart.

Doberluv

What about miniature Poodles Allison? I love the standards too. If I wanted a larger dog, I'd totally go for one. They are reeeeeeeelly tempting. But I'm sold on smaller sized dogs. I'm getting freakin' old and I have a very small yard. I don't want to have to lift a heavy dog if necessary and I find the small ones so easy to travel with etc, etc, etc. So, I'm thinking IF I get another dog....a miniature Poodle. Apparently, they're a little less likely to get some of those genetic health problems. What do you all think? I could still do agility with a mini and walk and hike like I like to. But yeah...they're not as regal perhaps as the big ones. Oh, and that's on my name list for a male...Regal. Cool, huh.

Doberluv

For all those with a secret love of poodles, GO FOR IT! It'll be the best decision you'll ever make.
OMG! You shouldn't have said that. You're tempting me something fierce and I tell you I just mustn't get another dog right now. It's too much. Two is good. My two old dogs who don't cause me any puppy brand of trouble. I dread all the work involved with a new puppy. But puppies are so cute. My two dogs would not get as much attention because a new puppy would be such a project and I'd spend so much time with that one. I'd feel guilty. I don't have quite the energy I use to. On the other hand....LOL. I'm fighting this Poodle-it is battle and sometimes I feel like my foot hold is slipping.

So, you think it would be the best decision any one of us with Poodle love could make? Hmmm. Tell me again why. :popcorn::D

Members online

No members online now.