Moving from small town to big city (or vice versa)

PennyD

I would have to agree with Fran as she reiterated a very true concept.
Regardless of situation, you have to find the mix that works for you.
Cities are great but they do not offer the same liberties that are enjoyed in the country.

xpaeanx

I've moved around a lot and have lived in a nice mix of everything.

I like being in an area where there are farms and state parks and hiking and space and cute little towns speckling the landscape.... But hop in a car and find yourself in a big city after an hour or so of driving. I'm kind of a hermit so that might be why, people who are more social are prob the opposite.

The best part is that there are all different setups and we are allowed to pick where we want to live. :)

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I moved away from a living in the country, but I was still 20 minutes away from the largest mall in the world, and 10 minutes outside of a smaller city.

NOW.

We moved to a smallish town with a population of about 4000, We LOVE it like times a million, but we moved to the mountains. There is nothing to hate about the mountains. The only downside is shopping. Shopping here sucks. The closest good shopping is 2 1/2 hours away, which is not the end of the world, but when your trying to plan a wedding and do DIY stuff. I sucks majorly lol

Moving to a small town with the limitless out door adventure of possibilities was the middle ground between city living and country living. We can drive 5 minutes and we out of the town into the wilderness. Its wonderful

noludoru

Bored Now.
Now we're out in the country, the closest small town (with a grocery and hardware store) is 30 min, bigger town (more shops and our vet) is 45-55 min. (depending on whether one gets stuck behind an ambling pickup truck going 10 or more miles slower than the speed limit) and the big city is a little over an hour on the highway (70 mph).
Drive one of these and pass anyway? I arrive places 5-10 minutes faster while driving the Miata without actually trying. . .

I live in the suburbs now (moving from rural VA - my closest neighbors were donkeys and such) and there's nothing I miss about the VA countryside. I am a 10 min walk from the YMCA, grocery store, liquor store, drugstores, etc etc. I am a 15 minute drive from everything, including a mall. EVERYTHING. I love living here! So does Moo. . . more cars to bark at.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
COUNTRY hands down. I have lived in the city and in apartment buildings in close proximity to people and I HATE IT. Just watching a movie or a TV show set in a place like NY makes me nervous and anxious, let alone trying to live in a place like that.

Where my parents ranch is there has been a lot of oil development and, in turn a lot of people. We have gone from being able to leave our gate open all the time, even at night, to having to close it at night, then having to buy not one but TWO locks with bolt cutter resistant chains, one for each side of the gate because someone has tried to take it off the hinges and come in twice!

Now, when I am by myself (like when I stay and watch the place if my folks go on a trip) I load the shotgun and keep it by the bed, with extra shells on the nightstand. I miss the way it was, where everyone knew everyone and no one had to worry about crime or any of that ****.

Locke

I've always lived in a huge city. Everything is within walking distance, I walk or take public transit. We currently live in the east end of the city, a 20 minute walk from the beach. I like our neighbourhood a lot. Very diverse, mostly friendly, and it is constantly improving, which is nice. But I would love more privacy.
Ideally, I would love to move a bit more east, just off the beach. But I would need a few million dollars for that!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Privacy isnt a given in the country, it all depends. Our place used to be private until this oil related business moved in about 1/4 mile from our house, past the back pasture. In winter, when the trees are bare, we can see each other :/ I hate it. Of all the places they could have build that god forsaken place, they had to build it right behind my property. :wall:

Red.Apricot

I live in the suburbs right now and I hate it. I want to move somewhere with a lot more open space. I'm already 20-40 minutes from basically everything, so I wouldn't mind if that distance was empty instead of filled with people.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Cities.
Forever and always.

Went to College in Connecticut and while it was a lovely postcard with all the forrest and green...what a bore. Need something? Get in the car, drive 20 minutes, and EVERYTHING IS CLOSED.
and unless I had kids I don't really get the suburbs.

Dekka

Just try me..
HA drive 20 minutes, thats cute. driving 20 minutes is nothing to someone who lives in the second largest state in the USA.
I live in a huge province (not quite twice the size of TX-not that most of it is populated lol), but even when living out in the country I could drive 20 min or so to get groceries. It might be a 2 hour drive to the nearest Ikea, but most places around here have small communities for basics within easy distance of each other.

Does your state not have corner stores for groceries and gas in little communities? (I have never been to TXs though my parents are staying there this winter again. I would love to go!)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I live in a huge province (not quite twice the size of TX-not that most of it is populated lol), but even when living out in the country I could drive 20 min or so to get groceries. It might be a 2 hour drive to the nearest Ikea, but most places around here have small communities for basics within easy distance of each other.

Does your state not have corner stores for groceries and gas in little communities? (I have never been to TXs though my parents are staying there this winter again. I would love to go!)
that all depends where your folks are in texas. Where my family ranch is, its VERY remote, sure there is a small town with a very nice, new gas station (we call them "ice houses" so if you hear someone say that, they mean gas station LOL) that has everything from milk to toliet paper and even laundry detergent, so in case you dont want to go all the way into town (which is about 40 minutes without traffic to the nearest town with a bigger grocery store and a walmart) or just need a few things, you can get them there.

Here at the ranch my OH works at, its also VERY rural, but OTOH, very convenient. About 20 minutes down the road is the city of Lewisville, which has everything from a Walmart to a mall (a really nice mall!) Petco, and various other small strip style shopping centers.

So in short, it all depends on where you are LOL.

milos_mommy

and unless I had kids I don't really get the suburbs.
Now keep in mind I agree with you on the city over everything, but even before kids:

suburbs: a yard for your dogs, especially if you want multiples, but even with one the ease of not having to walk the dog
swimming pools. Even if you don't have one, someone you know probably does. You don't have to pay to use an ultra-chlorinated nasty hotel or gym pool.
fire pit/barbecue. You can do it in the city but not as well/easily.
Entertaining is a lot easier in the suburbs, especially if you're not wealthy enough to afford a huge apartment.

I definitely see the appeal of the suburbs, even if it's not my thing. It's close to big cities and amenities like airports, nightlife, shopping, while still offering slightly more privacy and way more space and green space than the city.

Members online

No members online now.