We're starting 2013 off with...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
a trip to the vet.

I'm like 99.5% sure that Frodo has kennel cough. He goes to the vet at 2:30 today. Ryan is taking him since I have my promotion interview today (great timing, right?!) and it'll be the first time Frodo is going to the vet without me there.

We could use some vibes.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Oh nooo. Crossing my fingers. Hope he didn't catch anything while you were in FL and he was boarded. Get better Fro Man!!!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Poor guy. =< (((((VIBES))))) the vet visit goes well and he'll recover quickly. Also good luck at your interview!!!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks guys!

I'm not that worried, maybe I should be? But he just started coughing last night, and I looked up YouTube videos of dogs with kennel cough and it's like, the EXACT same thing.

It definitely could be from the boarding place as they don't require the vacc, but it could also be from another dog in the apartment, or even if a dog at work had it and I brought it home on my clothes. Who knows.

I'm going to be super careful about changing and not touching Frodo right before I leave for work, I don't want to get anybody else's dog sick! What really sucks is last night before he started coughing I took him upstairs to a friends apartment with her dog. Arg, I REALLY hope her pup doesn't catch it.

Frodo seems to be doing less coughing this morning than he was last night. He was up pretty much all night hacking until he gagged. At least he's sleeping now.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
KC is like the doggy version of a cold. We just ride it out here, sometimes you can give a cough suppressant if the dog is uncomfortable but it's not that big of a deal.

Also, dogs need to share snot so don't fret touching him unless you're picking his nose before work.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Vibes for Froman!

Luckily, kennel cough is usually not too severe. Kinda like a bad cold we get. Finn's had it, and other than the gross hacking and mucus and trying to keep a force field around us on our walks (ALL the neighbourhood dogs usually greet us on walks, we all know each other), he was fine within a few days.

Still, good to get it checked out. We got some meds from the vet that I'm sure helped the process along!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
KC is like the doggy version of a cold. We just ride it out here, sometimes you can give a cough suppressant if the dog is uncomfortable but it's not that big of a deal.

Also, dogs need to share snot so don't fret touching him unless you're picking his nose before work.
You don't wipe your dogs noses before you leave for work? Wow, I expected so much more from you.

(True story: at one of my old work locations we had a woman who wiped her dogs butt every time it took a dump o_O)

I need some kind of cough suppressant for him. As it is we are going to need to rent a carpet cleaner with how many piles of dried watery hacked up stuff is on the floor. Plus I got NO SLEEP. I was up until like 5am this morning because he was so loud.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
You don't wipe your dogs noses before you leave for work? Wow, I expected so much more from you.

(True story: at one of my old work locations we had a woman who wiped her dogs butt every time it took a dump o_O)

I need some kind of cough suppressant for him. As it is we are going to need to rent a carpet cleaner with how many piles of dried watery hacked up stuff is on the floor. Plus I got NO SLEEP. I was up until like 5am this morning because he was so loud.
I knew a trainer who did this. LOL

Poor Frodo, he's such a drama queen.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I knew a trainer who did this. LOL

Poor Frodo, he's such a drama queen.
He is. He is also very much full of woe because I didn't give him breakfast because I refuse to clean raw meat off my carpets and I ran out of kibble (first time in my life I have no kibble).

He still can't resist barking at the guy with 3 small dogs that BARKBARKBARK when outside. So he barks, which sends him into a coughing fit. Duh, dog.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Somebody I know shaves her dogs butt after it takes a dump.

Lots of vibes! They probably won't have him go into the building.. just look in the car

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Somebody I know shaves her dogs butt after it takes a dump.

Lots of vibes! They probably won't have him go into the building.. just look in the car
I doubt it. There is a couple other small maintenance things they want to do while he is there, and I don't think Frodo would be a happy camper if his vet crawled in the car with him :p

SpringerLover

It is spread by respiratory secretions... it doesn't just have to be his nose. Saliva on clothing can carry it and it can be transmitted between dogs through a human host's clothing. We learned all about prevention at work when we had that horrible outbreak everywhere in the twin cities last year!

I'm sure Frodo will be fine with Ryan, and I told him to call me if he has any questions! :)

Poor Frodo! :(

Right now I'm hoping I didn't carry anything home to Buzz since a friend terrified me yesterday when her interpretation of Buzz's lick-swallow thing was the start of kennel cough! SANITIZATION FOR EVERYONE! :)

SpringerLover

We still saw dogs with kennel cough, and sanitized the room after they left. And we all changed our clothing... it's still necessary to do an exam and make sure it's not something more (or less) serious!

Members online

No members online now.