What do you do "wrong"?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well if you do croak Mia is coming to Canada anyways so you don't have to worry about her ;)
And she's the difficult one! I am pretty sure if I croak there will be an all out war between people wanting to steal Summer. Everyone loves Summer jumping bean and all.

Kootenay

This is a fun thread!

Neither of my dogs are microchipped.

We don't do yearly vaccinations (but this is a well thought through choice on my part).

Jasper never wears a collar.

They ride loose in the car all the time.

I do use corrections for some things, and use ah-ah or no pretty frequently.

I laugh at Yarrow when he's being naughty more than I should...he's just so darn cute while he's doing it!

I let Yarrow (playfully!) maul the cat (a Bengal) because he can totally fend for himself. Sometimes causes problems when Yarrow wants to munch on the head of the other "normal" cat, who can't fend for himself. Thankfully, I think Yarrow is actually "getting" this now and generally only goes for the Bengal.

I do, however, go out for a long offleash walk/hike, or bike ride, or run, or horse ride every single day. Interesting to see how many folks don't. Jasper wouldn't care in the least, but Yarrow absolutely requires it, otherwise I'd have a little hellion on my hands.

Saeleofu

-what the rules say to do: "Always gradually change a dogs food, first 10% of new food, than 25, then 50, .."
- What actually happens
"Aw **** we are almost out of food." *buys new food, pours the 12 kibbles and the dust of old food into bowl, add the rest of new food*
Totally this lol.

I don't walk my dogs every day. Or even most days. Well, Logan usually ends up being "walked" most days, even if it's through a grocery store lol. but Gavroche doesn't usually get walked, and he doesn't seem to mind it.

Gavroche sits on chairs and sometimes tables. He has a fantastic leave-it though, so he never steals.

Logan just whapped me upside the head with a couch cushion. I let him take them off the couch because he liked to get a pillow and blanket and take a nap on the floor.

*stares at humping dogs* I let them hump each other. All the time. Most games consist of humping, bitey face, flying/leaping, and strange noises.

SaraB

I forgot one. I don't do normal, leashed walks. They annoy me. I work my dogs daily or we go on an off-leash hike. Never normal walks.

Oh and I encourage jumping on me... my excuse? I need them to jump on me for disc! Before we did disc, I just didn't have an excuse. :rofl1:

I almost never leash walk my dogs, either. If circumstances prevent the dog park or mushing I "walk" the dogs in harness with my skijor belt. Which I guess is technically canicross although I don't run. I just really don't care about pulling and in harness I don't have to worry about their necks.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia needs to run a few times a week. Other days she's fine with just going to the training place even if we mostly hang out. Or we just do work at the house/play ball. I will admit to occasional days where I jut fill up her treat ball and let her zoom around the house. She's a very busy dog but I just deal with that. She seems happy with that. I too don't like leashed walks.

I used to make really sure that she got 2+ hours at the park every day but she matured and I also realized Mia is going to be busy no matter what. You learn to laugh. ;)

Sara...your dogs are not going to be rehomable. Tsk tsk

Switching kibble slowly, ain't no one got time for that. Heck, I have 3 different bags open right now, because. ...ummmm....variety. I also feed Hudson unidentifiable meat from the freezer.

was sitting in the living room eating lunch and some how ended up with a dog on the back of the chair with a foot on my shoulder.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
-what the rules say to do: "Always gradually change a dogs food, first 10% of new food, than 25, then 50, .."
- What actually happens
"Aw **** we are almost out of food." *buys new food, pours the 12 kibbles and the dust of old food into bowl, add the rest of new food*
Yep, this is totally me!

Hmmm, let's see.

I'll let the chihuahuas sit on my lap at the dining table some times.

We don't do yearly vaccinations, or even yearly vet visits. When they are sick (or acting off), they get the best care they can, though. Chloe's had acupuncture, Emma's been to a neurologist, etc, etc.

All the dogs sleep with us.

Emma is obsessed with the car- she LOVES it! She has a lookout car seat in my car, but my husband has a 2 seat convertible. When we're going on short drives with the top down, I let her come with us. She just LOVES riding with the top down, and I feel the juice is worth the squeeze.

I let Emma jump up and down while she tries to bite my butt while getting her food together. It's too cute and hilarious to correct.

I don't care if my dogs jump on me. I ask Rory for hugs all the time.

Kootenay

Oh, I forgot the kibble thing...I also just switch bags suddenly! Does anyone do it by the book!? this is so fascinating to find out. I thought I was the only one.

JacksonsMom

I find this forum to actually be pretty laid back in terms of dog ownership, in general. My very first dog forum was the Yorkie forum and so I quickly learned (or thought) that things were supposed to be a certain way. I was guilty of that for a while, too, just because I felt like a bad dog owner if I wasn't ... I've gotten so much more laid back, like I see a lot of this kind of stuff over there:

"MUST only wear harness! No collar!" I really think the odds of a yorkie getting collapsed trachea are very slim. I just don't think wearing a collar is going to kill your dog and most likely over 75% of yorkies in this world are walked on a collar with no problems. I prefer harnesses for other reasons, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

"OMG you got your dog at 8 weeks?!?!" I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I know alot of small dog breeders keep until 12 weeks, and sure it might be best, but I hate when a person posts happily about their 8 week old pup coming home and people are like 'that's a bad breeder, they won't let their pups go until 12 weeks. You're going to have issues'. Thousands of people get their dogs at 8 weeks with no issues. It's going to be okay.

Stuff like that.

As for me personally? I used to very "He needs to do something EVERY day!" and while I still very much enjoy taking him out and about and getting him good exercise (so he doesn't start to drive me crazy), I know it's not going to kill him to stay home and do basically nothing for a few days. Ya know, I try to tell myself now that this dog lives a GREAT life and gets to do SO many things, I'm not going to stress if he god forbid has to stay home by himself for 8 hours every now and then, or doesn't get the proper stimulation ALL the time. There may be a week where we DO do things like every day, or spend 3 hours at the park, but there may be another week that we're slacking and he'll just get a 20 min game of fetch in the yard. I won't stress as much about it anymore.

Begging. I'm horribly guilty of sharing my food with him, and I know I always will so there's no reason to try and stop it at this point. Especially living with relatives who feed him as well. It would be horribly inconsistent. And honestly begging is not something that's ever bothered me, with any dog. So long as they're not up in my grill and just sitting close by. The staring doesn't bother me. I think it's funny.

"NEVER walk your dog on a flexi!!!" Guilty of it sometimes. I prefer shorter leashes if we're going to be in a populated place, just for the sheer convenience, but he walks fine on a flexi, and sometimes I like giving him more space, he gets more exercise that way.

I definitely tell him 'no!' all the time, LOL.

Dog forum people would probably get this more, but I've had surprised looks come from some people when I say I will no longer be vaccinating Jackson for anything (minus rabies) and that I don't use flea/tick meds every month, that sort of thing. Dog park people sometimes think I'm nuts because they think they're being 'good dog owners' by doing these things monthly and yearly shots.

His insane alert barking when the door opens or someone knocks. It's really loud and obnoxious and quite annoying but it honestly doesn't really bother me. He stops once the person walks in. Not something I've ever felt important to 'train'. It's too difficult and I really don't wanna put forth the energy. His barking is not ever bad except at my dads house with the other dogs, it's amplified there. But since the other dogs are barking sometimes even more, I can't really stop him from following suit.

Oh and he enjoys humping a pillow pet. I let him. The end. :rofl1:

Saeleofu

Oh, I forgot the kibble thing...I also just switch bags suddenly! Does anyone do it by the book!? this is so fascinating to find out. I thought I was the only one.
I did it when I first got Gavroche. Didn't last long lol.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Oh and he enjoys humping a pillow pet. I let him. The end. :rofl1:
You're lucky.

Rory likes humping our comforter. It's terrible. We have to make sure our bedroom door is shut at all times when we're not in there.

Want to hear something disgusting?

This morning I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and Ian was in the shower. Tucker started doing his Rory's-doing-something-wrong alert bark and I went to see what was up.

Rory was on the bed "finishing" up. Our sheets were soaked.

SO disgusting. Boy dogs are gross- especially when they're not neutered.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Oh and I encourage jumping on me... my excuse? I need them to jump on me for disc! Before we did disc,... :rofl1:
This shall be my new mantra. :D Especially when I get home and go "OMG I"M HOME! WHERE'S MY BOYS! COMMON GUYS UP UP UP UP (two dogs simultaniously try to fling their bodies into my face/arms/chest) OOOO CUDDLES *ouch* OH I LOVE YOU TOO!" in my super high squeeky voice. :rofl1:

As far as rules, I'm bad.

To Talon: "No....NOOO get off of that! NOW! fine...whatever."

I don't mind begging as long as they aren't in my face and are quiet. In fact, I reward them for quiet, laying on the floor begging.

Dogs are loose in the car most of the time.

I don't train as much as I should :eek:

They don't go on any walks ever really. Only time they walk on a leash is if we are at the store or going to the park down the street.

They get let offleash at the park.

I give them lots of food from whatever we are cooking (as long as it's not spicy or hot). "oh look, there's a bit of chicken or rice or beans or whatever, here dogs can have it!" *hangs head in shame*

I'm sure there's many more.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
You're lucky.

Rory likes humping our comforter. It's terrible. We have to make sure our bedroom door is shut at all times when we're not in there.

This morning I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and Ian was in the shower. Tucker started doing his Rory's-doing-something-wrong alert bark and I went to see what was up.

Firstly, MWUAHAHA Rory!!! :rofl1:

Also Strongly agree with boy dogs are nasty, especially when not neutered!

Talon went through a phase where, at bedtime, when he was put into his kennel he'd bunch up his bed and hump it endlessly. I wouldn't really of cared if it wasn't for the noise of him banging around his crate. One night I was fed up with the noise, got up, turned the lights on just as he was finishing on his bed. :yikes: I was like... umm....*lights off* goodnight. LOL

Shakou

We let Charlotte jump up on us. She's not obnoxious about it, she just kind of wraps her paws around our waste. We call it "giving hugs". And then we correct her when she does this to other people...

We allow Ma'ii up on furniture sometimes, despite the fact that he can be a serious A*hole to Charlotte when she tries to climb up.

Come to think of it, I kind of suck lol

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Firstly, MWUAHAHA Rory!!! :rofl1:

Also Strongly agree with boy dogs are nasty, especially when not neutered!

Talon went through a phase where, at bedtime, when he was put into his kennel he'd bunch up his bed and hump it endlessly. I wouldn't really of cared if it wasn't for the noise of him banging around his crate. One night I was fed up with the noise, got up, turned the lights on just as he was finishing on his bed. :yikes: I was like... umm....*lights off* goodnight. LOL
Not only do they look alike, they sound so similar! Yucky boys!

Rory no longer gets a crate pad or blankets. I'm not sure he'd have the room to hump in his crate, but as a puppy he'd bunch up his pad and go to town on it.

JacksonsMom

You're lucky.

LOL, omg!! Yeah my pillow pet is pretty nasty. I don't know what the obsession is. He doesn't hump anything else.

It always amuses me though because when I'm sleeping at my dads house, he gets up early to see what's going on downstairs, so I just let him out the gate (at top of stairs) and go lay back down in bed. Dad or someone will open the door and let him out to potty and then he comes back in, RUNS upstairs, back into my room, and just starts going at it with the pillow pet. It's like his morning ritual.

Members online

No members online now.