How do you deal with loud strangers?

oriondw

user not active
I walk my pup in park daily and there are alot of people there usually and thats never a problem. He ignores people and shows no interest in most of them.

sometimes though few people, intentionally or not, try to run up to us, behind, side, front, screaming out of joy. Im sure they dont mean to attack us, but thats exactly what my dog thinks. Should i just get a T shirt giving some warning?

I literally had people sneak up on us and try to pet my dog without asking my permission. If a person asks me and i always let them pet my pup and he loves attention they give him.

How do you deal with people like that?

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
There's no dealing. There are people like that. It's just the way it is. My dogs love ppl and kids, but when a parent doesn't ask me and just lets there kid pet my dog while I'm looking the other way bothers me too. You really can't do anything about it, except make sure you dog would NEVER bite anyone. If he does, there's nothing but trouble to follow.

WHOA! That's a real problem - and I share your concern since I have Filas and they get a lot of attention, plus they have those melancholy faces that make people assume they are innocuous.

I stop people and tell them they must wait and approach my dogs slowly. If they are barrelling toward us, especially if it is a kid or a young child, I tell my dogs to sit, then step partially in front of them so I can put my arm out and stop the kid short if I need to. Children usually stop when they see me do that, plus, I think the sheer size of the girls slows them down when they get closer. That gives me an opportunity to give a short lesson about petting strange dogs! It's amazing to me how many parents have no concept, but it goes back to their parents' never teaching them anything about dogs.

Anytime someone approaches your dog inappropriately take the opportunity to explain to them why they shouldn't do that. Remind them that not every dog owner is responsible and there is no knowing how a dog will react to a sudden approach by a stranger - especially from behind! Your boy is very tolerant not to have snapped at anyone sneaking up behind him!

oriondw

user not active
I try my best to educate people, but my dog looks like a huge cuddly bear ( picture in introduction forum). In my country when people see my dog ( breed) they go in opposite direction simple for the dogs reputation and character but in america non-dog owners seem to think that all dogs will roll on their back for them. :)

When i see someone approaching like that, i grab my pup by collar and hug him ( both hands) so he cant lunge, then i tell them to slow down.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Maybe because Vic is so skinny and pink and new to the world, it is just instinct for me to step one leg over my dog or step between him and the irritant.. for example the dog that rushes up to us when we walk... or drop a hand if it is just noise or loud people. Even if you had a calming word..Somethings you have to fight internally...if you can't change the world, you can teach how to cope. That is what I do.

Last edited:
We've got the same situation, you and I, Orion. People here don't know what a Fila is either. Shiva is very social, which is very un-Fila (show dog lineage - grrrr), so I tell people that she is probably the only Fila they will ever meet that is so friendly. Kharma has more of the Fila temperament and is particular about who she will accept affection from, although she is always more than willing to accept any and all adoration, lol! Both girls are socialized very well and have exemplary manners when they're away from their home territory and have a very good grasp of the range of normal vs. threatening behaviour, but it's a lot to ask of any dog to differentiate between someone who is sneaking up from behind to pet them and someone who is doing so for no good reason! Most people jump when someone touches them from behind, so why on earth would anyone expect a dog not to react strongly!

People never cease to amaze me with some of the idiotic things they will do around animals. :rolleyes:

Members online