OMG I hate taking him outside at night

JacksonsMom

We live on 3 acres, and have 90 acres of farmland behind us.

I hate our night-time potty break though... ahhh, I live downstairs, mom and stepdad and sister are upstairs.

So usually our last potty break is around 11 or so. It's creepy enough cuz it's sooo dark, and sooo quiet. I put Jackson on the retractable and tell him to go potty quick.

I hear things in the trees, in the bushes, eww it just spooks me.

Tonight I heard a weird sound, almost sounded like an elephant or something (I think it was just deer?) and then this effin flying creature leaps up out of the grass where Jackson was about to go pee, I am guessing it was a bat, but it was so loud and his wings flapped like crazy and I like screamed, so it freaked Jax out, so now he didn't have his last potty and he's under my bed :lol-sign:

It's times like these I kind of wish he would use a potty pad or a patch of grass or something on the porch. hahaha.

Woods and wilderness creep me out at night when I'm all by my lonesome self. The end.

Saeleofu

I totally know how that is! Now, trying doing it with 11 dogs, none of which would likely be able to defend themselves against coyotes, with known coyotes in the area and reports of a wolf sighting. And one dog takes FOREVER to potty on leash, and 9 out of the other 10 just don't potty on leash.

Late-night bedtime potty breaks were my least favorite part of dog sitting in the middle of nowhere! Ugh, soooo creepy!

JacksonsMom

I totally know how that is! Now, trying doing it with 11 dogs, none of which would likely be able to defend themselves against coyotes, with known coyotes in the area and reports of a wolf sighting. And one dog takes FOREVER to potty on leash, and 9 out of the other 10 just don't potty on leash.

Late-night bedtime potty breaks were my least favorite part of dog sitting in the middle of nowhere! Ugh, soooo creepy!
OMG that sounds horrible!

Coyotes freak me out. I haven't personally seen any at my house but I did see one in a very nice neighborhood about 10 minutes away. I've seen foxes and owls around here though and they kinda spook me too!

Oh and yes he can take forever to go on a leash! Ugh...

Snark

Mutts to you
You don't go out with a flashlight? Our place is pretty dark (we declined the offer of a dusk-to-dawn light when we built the house), so we have flashlights all over the house. We keep a powerful high-beam flashlight by the kitchen door.

My dogs are pretty big (no worries about owls) and we have a couple of acres fenced around the house so I don't worry too much about critters... well, except for the skunk Mick and Murph caught night before last under the back porch... sigh...

Barb04

Super Moderator
Can you have a flood light installed outside to light up the yard when you go out? If you can't have that installed, you can buy a flood light that plugs in to light up the yard.

JacksonsMom

You don't go out with a flashlight? Our place is pretty dark (we declined the offer of a dusk-to-dawn light when we built the house), so we have flashlights all over the house. We keep a powerful high-beam flashlight by the kitchen door.

My dogs are pretty big (no worries about owls) and we have a couple of acres fenced around the house so I don't worry too much about critters... well, except for the skunk Mick and Murph caught night before last under the back porch... sigh...
Can you have a flood light installed outside to light up the yard when you go out? If you can't have that installed, you can buy a flood light that plugs in to light up the yard.
We do have a light out there, but it's not very strong. It only lights up a small portion, you still can't really see into the woods which are on the side.

I really should buy a super strong flashlight. Actually, I might do that today, haha.

It's not even really that I'm worried about Jackson getting hurt or attacked or anything, it's more for my own sanity :p I hate the not knowing what's out there which is why I won't go in the ocean :D

joce

Get some stronger lights! I only get bad if I watched a scary movie or something. We have a large light that covers the front yard. It's from the electric company and its ten a month. Back yard we have lights on the back of the house and barn. Lights up a lot if I turn it all on.

The worst is when you hear the coyotes making those awful screams. Be thankful of you don't have them!

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
We regularly see wolves and coyotes on our property. Late night potty breaks really do suck - especially when you can hear howling or yipping in the tree lines. We're surrounded!

Shakou

Last fall, when we were in NV, I was outside at about 3am with the dogs, waiting for my husband to get home. Suddenly my dogs froze, and sat up straight, staring at something. There was a mountain lion about 20 feet away from us across the road, looking right at us. It stopped, gave us a "go to hell" look, then walked off into the desert. I couldn't get inside fast enough.

JacksonsMom

Last fall, when we were in NV, I was outside at about 3am with the dogs, waiting for my husband to get home. Suddenly my dogs froze, and sat up straight, staring at something. There was a mountain lion about 20 feet away from us across the road, looking right at us. It stopped, gave us a "go to hell" look, then walked off into the desert. I couldn't get inside fast enough.
OMG I would've crapped my pants... LOL...

We do have some coyotes around. I've never seen one on our property, but I know they've been spotted close-by. Yikes!

Going to the hardware store today to get a super super flash light for now haha.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I live right in the middle of town, and I still hate night-time potty trips. Cali's last trip is usually at 11, although sometimes if I stay up super late and if she isn't up sleeping with my mom, I will take her out again. I always tell her to make it quick and my eyes nervously dart around everywhere, I used to hide behind a tree until we removed the lower branches. :p

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Ha You guys!

Since growing up on a farm I have become pretty accustomed to wild animals, they really don't bother me anymore. Late night pee breaks don't bother me anymore, probably helps that the dogs tear through the door like hell is on their heels and they scare whatever is out in the trees. ha ha

What I find scarier is hiking up the mountains and there is bears and cougars everywhere, now that is scary lol

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Night time potty breaks never really bothered me - until June bugs come out. Then you're out in the yard hanging out in the light and these giant beetles fly at your face. :yikes: Now that I've moved and I'm by woods, it is mosquitoes attacking me. Itchy and ouchy and gross.

Hearing animals never really bothered me...but it isn't so much fun when you are stalked by a cat and they pop out and attack you, then dart away again. LOL That's scared me a few times.

Kootenay

I don't mind the potty breaks so much but sometimes I do get creeped out when I go to feed the horses at night (on the property but their corral is off in the woods), particularly when I KNOW there are bears or cougars around. We have both come through our property pretty regularly, and in the fall there frequently bears in the fruit trees...and I have to walk right under them to get to the horses!

So I like to bring all the dogs with me. Both my big boys have chased off many many bears and they can always tell if they're around, so I just trust in their senses.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
I'm the same way! I'm happy Nola sounds like she's 40lbs and not 9lbs when she barks, that's for sure! I live next to some dog aggressive dogs and a BYB-er, not to mention it's a busy road with lots of creepy people walking on it. I'm glad I have a fenced yard, but still.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Turn the lights out before you go out. Also sit in a dark room to let your eyes adjust before you go out. That's what helped me get over the night scaries.

Saeleofu

I've seen foxes and owls around here though and they kinda spook me too!
I'm okay with foxes and owls, we have those regularly here. But when I had Tango...good god, every shadow from a bird had my panicking lol. He's small enough he could have easily been taken by even a small raptor or fox. That actually played a large role in me not keeping him.

Members online