Breaking Wind.....

Sorry if this seems a little gross, but I'm concerned about shadow.

She farts, ALL THE TIME. And they stink.

I believe this is usually due to the food they eat? Well I just changed shadows food over approx 2 weeks ago, to Eagle Pack small + medium puppy.

I thought by changing her food over this problem would stop, but it seems to be exactly the same. When I first changed her food over she had quite soft stools, which I know was due to the food changeover. But they've now firmed up. Also when she was on her old food, there used to be ALOT of waste, now not so much, I believe again this is due to the better quality food.

Im wondering if maybe this new food is too rich for her? It does feel a lot more moist/greasy to the touch, than her old food. She has this eagle pack dry food, and Naturediet wet puppy food. She's always had the wet puppy food as its good quality, but I cant afford to just feed her wet.

So any suggestions as to why I have such a smelly dog?? :D

Renee750il said:
I'd be more inclined to blame the wet food, unless she's scarfing down her food WAAAAY too fast . . .

Try feeding her in small portions and see if it improves.
She does eat quite fast. She doesnt chew anything, she just gulps.

Her portion sizes have increased, she used to be fed three times a day, but now my office is moving I got her used to eating twice a day, as I'm not going to be able to go home lunch time to feed her.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Try changing her to the adult formula Eagle Pack. It's less rich than the puppy formula. Don't worry, getting off of puppy food won't affect her negatively. I also agree with Renee. My dog seems to get more gassy with canned food too.

I would changer her food, however I just bought 30kgs of the stuff cos it was on offer.

DOH!

Buy one get one free on the 15kg bags. I didnt consider she may not like it, or that it may affect her digestion negatively, I just thought it would be ok cos it was a better food than she was on.......

............any one know anybody who wants 15kgs of eagle pack.......:)

Try breaking her morning meal into two portions - one when you wake up, then the other right before you leave. Then do the same with her evening meal. You might try substituting (or would that be "substi-tooting"??) raw food for part of her evening meal. Something that takes awhile to eat, like chicken leg quarters, turkey necks, or some other meaty, gristly portion with crunchy bones.

Renee750il said:
You might try substituting (or would that be "substi-tooting"??) raw food for part of her evening meal. Something that takes awhile to eat, like chicken leg quarters, turkey necks, or some other meaty, gristly portion with crunchy bones.
Substi-tooting, ROFL!! :D

I keep meaning to got to the butchers, i found out theres one at the end of my street, he said he'd keep a bag of bones for me. Am I correct in thinking I should freeze bones (then defrost them) before I give them to shadow?

Looks are VERY deceiving. She's the smelliest dog I know! :)

She'll "toot" then look around like "who the hell was that?", and lee often will say "is that you?" talking to me!! I am obviously not as innocent looking as she is!

avenlee

LOL, Sadie will do the same thing. She will toot, then jump up looking around. I could swear the face on her reads "Those darn ducks are back again!" Then everyone clears the room and the air freshener comes out.

I've had six years plus of "fart free" dogs, but it's slowly coming to an "end". Both King and Molly are starting to fart, not a lot, but it's noticable now and wasn't before. They will be seven in a couple of months (December 23rd, four of my dogs have had the same birthday! Kind of weird?), and I guess the free ride is over.

My last dog Gus, was a terrible farter from the first day I had him, till the end 14+ years later. Nothing I tried did any good, including Beano and some stuff from the health food stores. Changing to "better" food made it much worse. I ended up going back to Iams, as it was by far the best of the bunch. I guess he did ok on it..

Members online

No members online now.