Is she a foxhound or a treeing walker coonhound?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
This is Cassidy, she has been with FOHA for a while because she is crazyhyper and likes to bay a lot at other dogs because she wants to play. She's very sweet and likes to receive pets, but needs some training in her manners. She likes to jump on you and mouth you. What kind of hound do you think she is?

I'd say walker, for a couple reasons.

First, most hunts I know of are responsible- if they lose a dog, they're out there looking for it and blanketing the area with flyers until they get him or her home.

Second, while I know responsible coonhunters? I know more that aren't.

If you're really not sure? Why not see about local hunts and get someone to come take a look at her? If she IS a foxhound, I imagine they'd be willing to help out. Her head also looks a little more like a Walker to me, but I'm not a hound expert and type isn't the top priority for foxhound OR walker hound people- ability is.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Is it weird that I look at her and instantly think: "OMG! A giant beagle!"

Sorry, I'm no help. I'm not familiar with either foxhounds or coonhounds. But it is possible that she's beagle mixed with a larger breed? Dunno, just throwing out guesses.

I have no idea.

But I agree with romy, why do you have to be so far. she would be a great play mate for Blaze, he likes the loud mouths. lol She is so cute. I have been falling for hounds latley

Miakoda

It's hard. I'm leaning more towards Walker, but the fact is that hunting Foxhounds can closely resemble tricolor Walkers.

That dog looks very similar to our 2 Foxhounds..........and also eerily similar to our Running Walkers.

Now you have me wondering......and confused.......... :p

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
That boxy square skull says English Foxhound to me. A Beagle is a Foxhound in minature...that's our standard...and I definitely do not see the more tapered thinner head shape common in Coondogs. Add that upright shoulder and that's say to me...English Foxhound.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
That boxy square skull says English Foxhound to me. A Beagle is a Foxhound in minature...that's our standard...and I definitely do not see the more tapered thinner head shape common in Coondogs. Add that upright shoulder and that's say to me...English Foxhound.
I just looked at the website, she is on there as an American Foxhound, so I guess we were close! I will ask what they think of her being an English Foxhound.

Thanks guys for all your input! I am going to attempt to get some better pictures next weekend, but it is difficult because Cassidy doesn't stay still!

That laying down pic was out of character for Cassidy, we were walking on a back trail and for some reason she refused to go any farther. I turned around to go back and she was fine with that.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
She is a very pretty girl...very nicely put together actually...nice expression and good bone for being a bitch and she seems a young one?

Might contact some Foxhound rescues see what they think...and they might have homes waiting too...you never know.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
She is a very pretty girl...very nicely put together actually...nice expression and good bone for being a bitch and she seems a young one?

Might contact some Foxhound rescues see what they think...and they might have homes waiting too...you never know.
If you know of one to contact, let me know. As far as I know we don't have any foxhound rescues. Even the club websites I've looked at don't have anything on them about rescue. In fact, I think the only hound rescues we have are for beagles, basset hounds and bloodhounds, but I could be wrong.

I think Cassidy is 2 or 3 yr old.

Pops2

treeing walkers were created simply by breeding running walker foxhounds that treed to each other until treeing became a consistant trait, so their conformation should fall within the parameters of the running walker, which brings me to the next point.
running walkers are american foxhounds, so are julys, goodmans, triggs, pennmarydels, croghans and many others i'm not familiar with. there is enough variation between the lines that they are defacto breeds. all three croghan blooded dogs i've seen had the blocky head of the english foxhound. it's also common among the julys. and since the lines are crossed and then bred back to the line the traits can popup among ANY line. further american foxhounds were developed from english & continental hounds so the traits of all the contributor breeds exist somewhere within the dogs.
most fox & coonhounds of value, for say competition hunting are tatooed or freeze branded. most fox & coonhounds used for running deer are not, nor are most meat/pleasure hunting coonhounds. also valued hounds are run w/ tracking collars to aid in recovery.
sooo unless you have the pedigree only serious foxhunters can tell a dogs bloodline just by looking.
if i HAD to guess i'd say croghan or english.

I agree it is a cat hound

From what I have gathered foxhounds and treeing walker coonhound are physically very similar and the difference mostly comes to behavior ie what does it hunt. Foxes or raccoons, it sounds like you have rescued are wonderful family dog that hunts cats. Now what would be really usefull would be a Jehovah's Witness hound. Those pesky things are always interrupting dinner time and something really needs to tree them.

Members online

No members online now.