Norwegian Buhunds

Buhund_Mom

Cloudpointe Buhunds
I am here to talk about my absolutely wonderful breed, the Norwegian Buhund.

I got involved with the breed about 6 years ago when I met a breeder at a dog show. I helped her out the next day by showing one of her adults and won Best of Breed with him and was hooked on the breed.

They are beyond loyal and make excellent family pets. They have a tendency to bark but usually that is when they are with other Buhunds. They have a double coat that can be wheaten (with or without a black muzzle and tail tip) or black (with or without some white markings). They are a less than medium sized breed usually ranging from 25-30 pounds for a female and 30-40 pounds for a male (really depends on the lines you go with as some breeders have been breeding larger dogs) and are 16-17 1/2" at the withers for a female and 17-18 1/2" for a male. They have strong erect ears and a tightly curled tail.

The Buhund does require a fair amount of exercise as they are a herding breed. They are not a breed for someone who does not enjoy physical exercise. They excel in dog sports such as agility and flyball and also are very trainable and do well in obedience and rally.

They are not a breed for everyone and before considering one you should take into account the work needed for such a breed. As with any herding breed they need to have something to do or they can become destructive and many are well known escape artists.

They get along well with children and can make excellent pets for a family looking for a fun pet. They are a herding breed so they need to be training early not to try to herd any small children or other animals. They get along well with other dogs but can be a bit standoffish at first and may show some signs of protecting their owner. A slow introduction is best around other dogs. If raised around them they do well with other animals such as cats and rodents. As herding dogs though they may show some signs of attempting to herd other animals.

So now that I have talked your ear off about my heart breed, you guys are welcome to ask me any questions about the breed!

Buhund_Mom

Cloudpointe Buhunds
Awesome! Who do you know who breeds them? There's a good chance I know them :)

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Welcome! I will definitely own a Buhund one day. I have limited experience in the breed so far, but I have helped handle at a a few dog shows and spent an entire day hanging out with a breeder at her place (she had 6 week old puppies on the ground so I had the difficult job of playing with them). I think they will compliment my Finkies nicely :)

Toller_08

Welcome! I know someone who had a Buhund. Unfortunately she's no longer with them, but she lived to be I think something like 15 years old. Super intriguing, wonderful little dog. I just loved her and she was one of my favourite dogs to ever take care of when her owners went away. She sure loved her voice though haha.

PennyD

Hello!

I've never heard of this breed before so I appreciate the post.
My family is from Norway though so I naturally love them :)

Thanks again,

-Penny D

Members online

No members online now.