Why did you pick your breed of choice?

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Looked for breeds that could train& complete a full marathon.
Picked the best one out of them then did more research to see if I would actually like Vizsla's. Met with the breeder when there was a puppy for me& then took her home three weeks later :)

milos_mommy

I kind of....didn't, lol.

I really liked and wanted JRTs (and 10 other breeds) from a young age. I like JRTs because of their incredibly intelligence, trainability, and tenacity, but I don't think I was fully aware of the DA/prey drive issues. My parents just bought me a pet store puppy (now I think he's probably a JRT mix). He's had many issues, but I still love the breed.

Pit bulls I just fell in love with working in rescue. And on Chaz, really. Saw some really awesome looking dogs, learned more about them because I became interested in BSL, then we had a lot of great ones in day care, and decided to foster - most dogs at NYC ACC are pits, and I could have requested another breed but I said I was down for whatever.

Breeds that are top list for future are also breeds that I met through daycare and training. My advice to someone who doesn't work professionally with dogs is to go to some dog events, if you have some breeders in mind email local ones and see if you can meet their dogs, dog shows, or go to a shelter and even if you want a breeder dog, you can look around and meet dogs of different types and decide what you're learning towards.

joce

When I got Byron I had really wanted a Rottweiler. My moms friend had dobes and they were trying to sway me. Don't remember what did, likely just going to look at the liter of pups I got Byron from. But he was everything I wanted in a dog all in one and I will always have one.

I'm just going to answer for Toast since he's my only pure bred and is turning me into a "my breed" person. The feature I love the most is his versatility, he would really throw himself into and be able to do just about any activity I would want to try. He's also very intelligent, biddable, and handler focused.

SoCrafty

I spent years researching. I really wanted a Collie but I really liked the idea of a smaller, more portable dog. I dislike dogs that when you look at them they just stare blankly off into the distance. I went back and forth between a Cocker, an Aussie or Sheltie. Hubby wanted a blue merle Aussie but it was too big and I read about how they can be unpredictable. I stopped thinking about Cockers because I couldn't bring myself to get another. I was scared of health issues and hubby did not want a dog with a docked tail.

After talking with several Sheltie people, I met my wonderful breeder and her dogs. I LOVED that they looked enough like a Collie, were small but had energy and had smarts like an Aussie. They seemed devoted and all they wanted was love.

We are not disappointed in our decision at all and it is definitely 'our' breed.

I was looking for a large, friendly, single coated running partner. There was a Redbone breeder just a couple towns over so we went there to meet her dogs. I loved them instantly. They were so sweet and beautiful. I'm happy with my choice :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Just answering for Juno since she's the only one I picked. But there's no real story lol. I had a boxer as a kid, we didn't pick her based on breed - we just adopted her from a shelter and she turned out to be fantastic, so naturally when she passed away we all wanted another boxer. And Juno is a fantastic dog too - intelligent, loyal, energetic with a good off switch, bombproof with all animals and people, affectionate... just all around such a good, easy dog (HA her puppy time was hell though, never thought I'd think so highly of this dog) which is exctly what we loved about Molly too.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Well, I won't say Chessies are my breed as I don't know if I'll forever have one. But, I did pick Abrams for a reason!

I grew up with a Labrador who wasn't your "typical" Lab. He was discerning and protective while also being the perfect family dog. I adored him. After he passed away, I knew I wanted another dog like him.

When I found out Michael was going to be enlisting, I decided a larger dog that could offer protection was more important than a smaller dog that was easier to transport. A Lab, I decided, had too much of a likelihood to be "too friendly" and I wanted a more discerning dog like my Lab growing up. I also needed to stay away from breeds that were likely to be banned on base or in rentals as we weren't sure where we'd end up living. So....Chessie. haha

He's been a very good fit. He's not perfect (dog selective, a bit obsessive, reactive in the car/when first getting out of the car), but I can't imagine not having him around.

Elrohwen

I wanted a happy friendly sweet dog who would be able to dabble in dog sports. I decided to get a sporter because I have more experience with them than herders, and they seemed like easier dogs for a relative newbie (grew up with schnauzers, and never trained a dog beyond sit/down/shake). DH grew up with a brittany and I knew one well so we planned to get a britt. A friend of a friend heard what we were looking for and recommended Welshies as being a better fit for us. I talked to a couple breeders and that was that. They are just what I was looking for.

k9krazee

I chose to get a Rat Terrier now because I was wanting a dog very similar in size and personality to Crossbone---and he's all I hoped he'd be! Around the 20lbs, super smart, athletic, friendly and ridiculously cute.

LMost

Parents had a Saint I loved as a kid.

Mastiff's are majorly less hair, low grooming needs, lower energy, extremely kid friendly, Velcro dogs, guardian breed, and I love giant breeds.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Papillons: My mom liked them. Then I liked the ones we had when I was a teen. So I got my own when I was in an apartment with a 20 lb weight limit.

Hank: He looked kinda like Crossbone on petfinder. Crossbone seemed neat. Met Hank and he seemed pretty nifty. It was not very well thought out.

crazedACD

I had wanted an Australian Shepherd since I was a kid. Went to see a puppy, was told it was a red aussie. It was a cattle dog. I think I kind of shrugged and said close enough and brought Romeo home :p. Got another one because Romeo was awesome. I'm happy with both choices, although I may lean towards more amicable/less DA sporting breeds in the future.

Zoie was a shelter find and Skye fell into my lap. I may continue with Pointers in the future, but preferably puppies so I can start them on the right path of biddability and off leash skills.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I didn't choose the RoxiePoxie life, she grabbed me by the heart and whispered "run". :p

In all seriousness, I've always loved sighthounds. Even though my previous dog was a Beagle mix and about as far from a sighthound as you could get, I developed a love for sighthounds, particularly Whippets and Greyhounds over the years.

Roxie was the only dog at the shelter that was close to what I wanted. Yes, I was pulled in by her instant attachment to me, but aesthetically she was perfect as well. I could never and will never again find such a perfect dog. She has a Whippet-y personality, and her body looks like a Whippet as well.

Honestly, Roxie is what cemented my love for sighthounds. I've always thought that they were beautiful dogs, and sure, Roxie's only half, but she still acts like one. I'm set on getting a retired racing Greyhound because of her. The personality and temperament is perfect for me.

Didn't here either...did EVERYTHING wrong and just turned out to fit. Was over 25 years ago, saw a chow puppy at petstore and begged relentlessly [I was 12 then]. Didn't get the petstore pup [probably about only thing done right], but talked mom into going to 'look' at some puppies in the paper...took one home the next day.

Got home, continued to do everything wrong [no socialization, etc]...despite that, she turned out to be a great family addition. Got my 2nd at 16 and knew then I'd always have one in my life.

I leave the door open for a little variety for getting additional dogs, but I plan to always have at least one Chow until I'm dead or not physically able [or until bsl ruins it the rest of the way].

With our shih tzu, I researched relentlessly. Wanted a dog small enough to fly in cabin with us (we flew a lot then), with a funny and charming personality. Not shedding with a bonus. Considered several small breeds, visited several breeders, and when I met Chloe's breeder it clicked and I knew I would get a puppy from her eventually.

With our Bouvier, I had decided it was time to add another dog to the family now that all my kids would be in school. Wanted a larger breed. Was interested in eventually doing therapy work. Settled on a Leonberger, flew across the country to meet a wonderful breeder, fell more in love with the breed than I thought possible, and also realized there was absolutely no way I could live with that amount of shedding. It was absolutely insane. Like nothing I'd ever seen before (and I grew up with Golden Retrievers).

Went to the dog park and met an awesome Bouvier. Went to visit a friend and met her neighbours two awesome Bouviers. Started reading about the breed some more. Talked to several breeders. I LOVE their personalities, and it turns out I'll probably always have a Bouv now. Love their calm steady personality. Absolute blind devotion to their person (and to a lesser extent, the rest of the family). Brilliant minds. Stubborn streak. Immense physical presence. Love for outdoor adventures, but couch potato tendency in the house. Extremely high threshold for stimulation in terms of sound and touch (I have 3 young kids and a crazy busy home). I could go on and on .....

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I didn't... my ex had only been allowed to have "small hounds" (ie beagles) and wanted a coonhound. He researched the 6 breeds like crazy, and settled on the Plott. He found a female for sale online ~6 months old, we waffled back and forth for a few weeks, and when we went to visit my aunt and uncle in Ohio, we called our last night in town, found out the dog was only about 2.5 hours away in Indiana, and picked her up the next day. I will never be without multiple Plotts again!

JayBear

My eldest I got her from a rescue and she threw herself at me literally, she seemed determined she was coming home with me. Not sure what breed she is I was told lab X collie, but she was much slimmer I thought she may have whippet in her. I did one of those DNA tests and results were GSD x Maltese x Pug!!!

Border Collies have always been a favourite breed of mine so when I was in a position that I could afford a pedigree puppy I decided to get one.

Members online