The dog musing/vent thread

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I hate prednisone and I am sincerely glad that we are in the "weaning off" stage. My dog has been a freaking crack addict the whole time she's been on it. She's been a pooping, garbage digging (because APPARENTLY it's made her starving) constantly panting, anxious, always underfoot nuisance and I will be SO GLAD when this weekend is over and we're DONE with it! HATE, HATE, HATE!!!

Also hate allergies that caused the dog to need said prednisone to begin with. WHY?!
YES. Lucy is on pred right now, and my dog who normally doesn't get that excited about food is now digging through the trash in the middle of the night and constantly jumping around and begging for food. Thankfully no other side effects but ugh so annoying. I'm hoping we can start weaning her off.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I was on a ten-day course of prednisone at the beginning of the year and felt AMAZING and also starving. I gained ten pounds and a new appreciation for what my pets go through when they're on it.

I have noticed smelling a pee smell the last few days on my blanket on my bed, and a blanket that is typically left on the couch, which is very unusual. Tonight Angel was sleeping next to me and I noticed she peed a little or something while she was sleeping. So that explains the pee smell...

Looks like I'm going to have to crate her while we sleep and when I'm gone. And wash the bed that's in the crate on a regular basis. :(

Does anyone have a favorite memory foam/orthopedic type bed for older dogs that may be starting to have bladder problems while they sleep?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
^ I would see if meds help if she's peeing that much. Juno's incontinent but it's just a drip here and there so nothing I feel like fussing with.

There is this girl on one of our local pet groups who I just love to call out. She's always getting animals, then getting rid of them, or she gets them from obvious horrid breeders - including her new St. Bernard puppy. One of those breeders breeding tons of breeds due to supply and demand....they thankfully got out of Bulldogs....didn't know the breed was supposed to be in a U shape - but don't worry, they're getting into Silver Labs & Pomskys due to people wanting them. But anyways, yesterday had this post about the St. Bernard puppy peeing in the house everyday still at 5 months old, even when they let her out every half an hour or whatever, people commented on getting her checked by a vet just in case it's medical, different types of training, etc. Well, all in vain since today the puppy was on Craigslist for sale. So, I made a nice comment on her other post about looking for a horse; since she deleted the post about the St. Bernard peeing issues - even though last week she was saying she couldn't afford to take her animals to the vet - so let's get a horse, even if we also sold one just in the past couple months because didn't want one anymore, to top it off. I am about to leave this group, like I did our other local one, due to the "foster" family getting puppies in of the same breeds and somehow with the parents of their "personal" dogs, and when I bring it up, I'm the bad guy. I need to stick to people who have a clue groups, because this has me all irritated, but I like bringing up points into their ridiculousness. Maybe I'm just as bad, but come on people. :rolleyes:

I've contacted 6 breeders.

4 never responded, despite follow up emails a week later.

1 responded right away but then never got back to me after asking some questions about my living situation.

1 responded eventually telling me there'a no hope of me finding the kind of dog I want in a chihuahua.

discouraged. And also wondering if it's somethiby I've said.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
There is this girl on one of our local pet groups who I just love to call out. She's always getting animals, then getting rid of them, or she gets them from obvious horrid breeders - including her new St. Bernard puppy. One of those breeders breeding tons of breeds due to supply and demand....they thankfully got out of Bulldogs....didn't know the breed was supposed to be in a U shape - but don't worry, they're getting into Silver Labs & Pomskys due to people wanting them. But anyways, yesterday had this post about the St. Bernard puppy peeing in the house everyday still at 5 months old, even when they let her out every half an hour or whatever, people commented on getting her checked by a vet just in case it's medical, different types of training, etc. Well, all in vain since today the puppy was on Craigslist for sale. So, I made a nice comment on her other post about looking for a horse; since she deleted the post about the St. Bernard peeing issues - even though last week she was saying she couldn't afford to take her animals to the vet - so let's get a horse, even if we also sold one just in the past couple months because didn't want one anymore, to top it off. I am about to leave this group, like I did our other local one, due to the "foster" family getting puppies in of the same breeds and somehow with the parents of their "personal" dogs, and when I bring it up, I'm the bad guy. I need to stick to people who have a clue groups, because this has me all irritated, but I like bringing up points into their ridiculousness. Maybe I'm just as bad, but come on people. :rolleyes:
Is this girl my sister, by chance? Ugh.

amberdyan

Is this girl my sister, by chance? Ugh.
It could also be my sister, unfortunately. Since she has given up 1 dog and three cats in less than a year. Plus the... 6? young rats that have died in her care in less than a year.

What I actually came her to vent up is the fact that Hugo just decided to be a total **** and scared me to death. He has never been a door bolter, but we trained for it any way and he politely waits until I let him go out the door. Today, I opened the sliding glass door and reached out to close the screen door since it's nice out, and he BOLTED. Ran as fast as he could all around our complex, which is surrounded on 3 sides by busy roads, one of which is the main road in town. Tons of traffic. I call him twice and he doesn't even LOOK at me. There are no rabbits, no squirrels that I can see (but he did seem to take off on a mission, so it's possible I just missed whatever small animal it was) he is just running like he's frantically looking for something at top speed. I didn't want to keep calling him if he was going to blow me off, so I went and got treats. nada. His favorite toy. nothing but a glance at me. Finally, thinking he was probably after prey, I grabbed a skinnee, squeaked it and ran it on the ground and he came running back. It took everything in my power not to yell at him but I made it a party, put his leash on and then quietly had a heart attack. I wouldn't have panicked so much if it weren't for all the traffic....

teacuptiger

floor dancer
When you see a coyote on your walk not even 15 feet away, and your dog is just like, "meh".

Like, Idk if it's just because she's nightblind and didn't actually see it, or even smell it... or if she was like, "okay, human, you've got this handled, I'm gonna keep sniffing this interesting grass right here".

How very un-Roxie like.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Hank's shelter.... I found some stats.

Averages around 28,000 intakes a year. In 2007 live release (non euth'd animals) was at around 26%. Only 26%. Recently (2012 is the most recent I see) it's over 51%.

Holy crap. Gonna hug Hank forever.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
This month's allergy-friendly (no beef, chicken, turkey, gluten, wheat, corn or soy) BarkBox contained:

1. Chicken treats
2. A turkey chew
3. A hard rubber fetch toy (Briz won't touch and way too big for Ru)
4. A crinkly stuffy (my dogs hate crinkly toys)

Literally an entire box if stuff I will have to give away. Time to cancel that subscription, I guess.

xpaeanx

This month's allergy-friendly (no beef, chicken, turkey, gluten, wheat, corn or soy) BarkBox contained:

1. Chicken treats
2. A turkey chew
3. A hard rubber fetch toy (Briz won't touch and way too big for Ru)
4. A crinkly stuffy (my dogs hate crinkly toys)

Literally an entire box if stuff I will have to give away. Time to cancel that subscription, I guess.
What was the fetch and crinkly toy? Was it the Bumi and flowers? My friend got that box and I wanted it SOOOOOoO bad but didn't get it. I might be willing to take it off your hands.

Maxy24

My dad took Tucker out to potty last night, didn't see someone walking their dog across the street (it was dark), and when Tucker lunged at the end of his leash it popped out of dad's hand. So Tucker ran across the street and attacked some poor dog. Yup, I own that dog we all hate. Dad's had Tucker pull the leash out of his hand AT LEAST five times, he's never done it when he's trying to attack someone before, it's usually just him getting zoomies because it's snowing, going after a squirrel, or something like that, but I just don't get it. He weighs 15 pounds, what are you doing, holding it with your pinky? Everyone was fine, thank god, but I feel so awful about it, so guilty. I know the dog he went after, they walk late at night because the dog is reactive so they try to avoid other dogs. The woman walks him on a head halter (probably why Tucker didn't get hurt) and you can tell she's put a lot of work into keeping his reactivity under control. Of all the dogs he could have gone after he chooses the one whose behavior he's most likely to ruin. I'm so tired of this.

Sparrow

Ugh, Rook's ear problems/allergies continue. Since she can't scratch with her hind feet, she uses her front dews. She rubbed a bald/raw patch by her ear, so I started vetrapping her dews. She then learned how to manipulate the wrap until it was off her dews. Now she mostly just wants me to scratch for her.

There are very few foods her GI tract can handle well, and it has to be canned. The cheap crap actually works better for that, but the ear/itching couldn't take it. Right now I'm trying Canidae Pure (the fish one.) I don't know if this is a decent one to try or not. We've been through so many, but I can't always try them long enough to narrow down the problem because she ends up with GI issues (deformed pelvis = obstipation.)

And here I thought diapers would be my biggest worry.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Just spent ten minutes searching the house for the shy, skittish, semi-blind, non-exactly intelligent foster puppy before determining that she was definitely not stuck in a crate/cabinet/behind the furniture and therefore not in the house. Another ten minutes frantically running around the neighborhood yelling for her before spotting her a block away following a lady with a stroller.

Things we learned: When alone in unfamiliar territory, Xena will approach strangers instead of her usual tactic of running like a spooked wild animal. She apparently likes baby strollers, or babies, or something, even though she is normally terrified of other wheeled devices. Xena will come when called on a crowded and busy street filled with pedestrians. Also, my back door doesn't always latch properly.

Members online

No members online now.