Do fans actually cool.. And other favorite cooling items

I know fans cool people down because we sweat, but since dogs don't sweat like us, is using a fan actually effective in cooling dogs down?

What is your favorite cooling gear (vests, mats, fans, etc)?

Any cooling gear you don't like?

I've tried the Ruffwear swamp cooler vest and I didn't like it and noticed it is much hotter on humid days.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I have a Hurtta cooling coat for Briz, I think it's more or less the same thing as the swamp cooler. I think it's amazing, it keeps him incredibly cool even in triple digit weather. When I take it off him I've been known to wear it on my head because it's just so comfortable.

It's worth noting that we live in the desert/blast furnace. Humidity is something that happens to other people.

BostonBanker

I tried the Hurtta coat for Gusto, but didn't get to evaluate it well because he absolutely hated it. Both of my dogs have the Saratoga Horseworks cool coats, and I love them. They are very light weight and don't hold a ton of water like a lot of other cooling coats. What they are is very reflective with good air flow; my dark colored dogs are noticeably cool under them, even in direct sunlight with a dry coat. I love them for waiting to go in the ring at agility trials. I do soak them, and often just keep them tossed in my cooler to keep them cool. But even dry and straight out of my car, they are helpful.

Given how many dogs I know who will deliberately move in front of fans to rest, I think they must be effective. They are extra useful when dogs are in confined spaces like cars or crate because of the need for added airflow. I use the Ryobi fans powered by drill batteries. Much more economical than the ones I've had that use D batteries, and they have plenty of power for such a small fan.

JacksonsMom

I was recently wanting to invest in a battery operated fan for my car as well - anyone have suggestions as to what's the best/cheapest? I don't leave Jackson in the car for more than 5-10 mins in warmer weather and not at all if it's extremely muggy and hot, but as a pet sitter sometimes he's with me and he has to sit in the car for all of 3-5 mins while I get the other dogs out of the house/situated/etc, so I was looking for options for short term. Also maybe a cooling bed.

BostonBanker

The Ryobi fans are a bit of an initial investment (mainly because of the batteries;the fans are about $30). However those nice long lasting, rechargable batteries make the cost worth it. My old cheap fan could eat through about $30 worth of batteries in a weekend, and didn't move nearly as much air.

milos_mommy

A fan will definitely cool a dog down! But I've never used other cooling gear so I have no idea how well it works in comparison.

Fans don't cool us off because we sweat! That might make your body temp lower faster or feel cooler, but even if YOURE not sweating a fan is going to cool you down. As long as colder air is getting on your skin, whether it's wet or dry, it's going to have a cooling effect. In the same way, it will cool a dog down, especially a short/single coated breed or if it's blowing on their face/belly/paws/exposed skin.

The Ryobi fans are a bit of an initial investment (mainly because of the batteries;the fans are about $30). However those nice long lasting, rechargable batteries make the cost worth it. My old cheap fan could eat through about $30 worth of batteries in a weekend, and didn't move nearly as much air.
This!

I adore my Ryobi fan (And all the other things I have like the radio, trimmer, power tools, blower etc).

But, the batteries are an investment. Well worth it to me because of all the other fun stuff I can buy and use them with.

Just wanted to make sure they were effective, but I hear so much about ryobi fans being the best I will likely buy a few of them and the batteries. How long does one battery last?

I also hear a lot of people liking the Saratoga coats and will look into them.

I am interested in getting a cooling mat, but don't hear of many people talking about these... Has anyone ever tried one?

BostonBanker

A fully charged Ryobi battery lasts me a full day at an agility trial. If I start it up at 10 or so when the heat really starts, it will still be going at 5 or 6 when I am done for the day.

Members online

No members online now.