How to choose a new vet?

I am thinking about going to a different vet because Jack and I have been having some issues with our current one. Any advice on how to choose a vet? Anything to look out for in particular?

BostonBanker

My advice is to know what it is you want in a vet, and ask questions before you even make your first appointment.

I vet-hopped a bit a couple of years ago, when I left the vet's office my family had used since I was in first grade in search of a slightly more affordable vet. I went through three other vets (two bad experiences, one we loved, but she moved) before returning to the first vet and deciding the money wasn't the most important factor.

Each one I called and said that I was looking for a new vet, asked if they were taking new clients, and then asked the two questions that seemed most important to me at the time.

1) "I don't do regular vaccinations for anything other than rabies; I do titer for distemper and parvo every few years. Is that something you are comfortable with?"

2) "I have one dog who is very uncomfortable being taken away from me to go in the back for procedures. Are you okay with doing non-emergency procedures like blood draws in the exam room so she can stay near me?"

After the first bad experience, I added a question about how emergencies are handled if they occur to a regular client during regular office hours.

I would have zero issues with any vet's answer to my questions. I know some have valid reasons for wanting the dogs out of the exam room for procedures, and some firmly believe in regular vaccinations. It is 100% their choice, but I want to be sure the vet I go to is on the same page as me with the stuff that matters most to me.

Now I am back to paying more than just about any other vet clinic in the area, but the vets (mostly) are incredibly receptive, happy to talk about options, don't try to drag Meg out of the room, and have even gone above and beyond in finding ways to handle Gusto that make him more comfortable. And I made sure to send a very appreciative email after that particular appointment.

JacksonsMom

My advice is to know what it is you want in a vet, and ask questions before you even make your first appointment.

I vet-hopped a bit a couple of years ago, when I left the vet's office my family had used since I was in first grade in search of a slightly more affordable vet. I went through three other vets (two bad experiences, one we loved, but she moved) before returning to the first vet and deciding the money wasn't the most important factor.

Each one I called and said that I was looking for a new vet, asked if they were taking new clients, and then asked the two questions that seemed most important to me at the time.

1) "I don't do regular vaccinations for anything other than rabies; I do titer for distemper and parvo every few years. Is that something you are comfortable with?"

2) "I have one dog who is very uncomfortable being taken away from me to go in the back for procedures. Are you okay with doing non-emergency procedures like blood draws in the exam room so she can stay near me?"

After the first bad experience, I added a question about how emergencies are handled if they occur to a regular client during regular office hours.

I would have zero issues with any vet's answer to my questions. I know some have valid reasons for wanting the dogs out of the exam room for procedures, and some firmly believe in regular vaccinations. It is 100% their choice, but I want to be sure the vet I go to is on the same page as me with the stuff that matters most to me.

Now I am back to paying more than just about any other vet clinic in the area, but the vets (mostly) are incredibly receptive, happy to talk about options, don't try to drag Meg out of the room, and have even gone above and beyond in finding ways to handle Gusto that make him more comfortable. And I made sure to send a very appreciative email after that particular appointment.
Yes to all of this. I finally just earlier this year found a vet I am totally 100% confident and happy with for Jackson. And he just turned 7 lol. Our first one was horrible, tried a 2nd one after that, was just ehhh, we went to one for an emergency once that was straight up awful... then our 3rd one I did stay at for a few years and they weren't horrible at all but I love our new vet too much now so even though it's a further drive I am willing to go. They were so accommodating with how nervous and anxious he is there and make a point not to touch him until absolutely necessary and take things slow with him etc. They also follow the things I believe in and are willing to do titers and such.

So just ask a lot of questions, and if something does not work out it is ok to move on?

Members online

No members online now.