People...

Fran27

So on the French forum I go to, there is that guy who has a 5 month old Burmese Mountain Dog. He posts saying that he walks his dog off leash, but he has a problem because the dog will run to people and jump around them when he sees them. He asked for a solution.

Well, I said that if you can't control your dog off leash, he should be leashed, and his reply was that in this case, you should just leave your dog in your yard all the time, and that he's not going to leash his dog just because he meets one person in one hour.

I'm amazed people feel this way... Are we all monsters with our dogs or something because we leash them not to bother other people? I'm sure Boris would do fine offleash, but he would jump on people, so I'm not going to start walking him offleash! And what about other dogs, do they even care?

I'm so tired of irresponsible owners. What is sad is that if you even imply that people should leash their dogs on the forums, you get yelled at or they think you torture your dogs or something :rolleyes: In this case, I call that respect...

Tobysmom

No, we aren't monsters. I never, ever let Toby go off leash outside. You never know when something can happen. I love my dog too much to take that risk. You should tell that guy that jumping on people is a moot(sp?) point if his dog runs into the street or goes chasing after some animal and gets lost from him.

Fran27

Dear god, his next reply was :

'where did you see irresponsible owners?

He's only 5 months, leave him time to learn!

If I keep him on leash everytime we see people, he will get scared of people, because he will think that if I hold him firmly close there is danger, then I won't be able to walk him on leash anymore because he will be scared.'

All I got to say is... wow. So he's going to train his dog to come to him etc when he goes jump on people, thus using people who never asked for it to be his training tools :eek:

Fran27

Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. Sometimes I feel like an alien on those forums.

SandraC

I too am surprised at peoples attitudes. I am sure they think their dogs will love them more if they let them do as they like.
I have 3 GSD's. I love them all but there are ground rules.
If we have visitors they are allowed to greet them but when I tell them to SETTLE
they can go where they want but must lay down and not bother anyone and as soon as soon as food appears they also must lay down and not look while we are eating.
Also if I'm in the kitchen as soon as I say I'm cooking they will get up and move out of the room. This is for their sake as much as mine for safety. People who visit are pleasantly surprised but I expect this of my dogs. They know their place and anyone who knows me and them will know they are well loved and cared for and very happy. They aren't perfect by any means but I try my best & will keep on training.

Fran27

What I don't understand is why some people believe that dogs should be off leash all the time? Especially at 5 months? There was another who had a 2 months puppy and complained that she was following other people... I mean come on, 2 months???

Athe

Having 5 dogs I could not imagine having to put them all on leashes for a hike :)
What this owner could do with his young pup is to teach the pup some manners. Perhaps leave the pup off lead, when they see a new person put the pup on a leash and have the pup sit. If the person wants to come see the puppy fine...if not perhaps he should carry some wonderful treats to walk the pup past the person. Once past and out of site, let the pup back off the leash. I myself have no problems with allowing a dog off lead in the right areas (safe areas). I hike with my dogs through trails and different remote spots. They get more exercise off lead and can enjoy themselves. Plus I enjoy watching my dogs enjoy themselves ;)
I guess we all get our own enjoyment in our dogs. I have always found it beneficial to have a pup off leash to teach follow me. Pups make mistakes, so always carry a leash.
When I was a child we had a Shepherd mix and Border Collie mix...I don't think those dogs ever had a leash on them. They went every where with us, the beach, walk to school then home, to the mall....every where...they learned manners on their own and I can't recall ever teaching them anything. Sometimes letting a dog be a dog can be great, you just need to know how to go about it ;)

The city that I live in has a leash law...we have to keep our dogs on a leash at all times when walking them. Also, if I didn't have my Corgi on a leash, she'd run into the road.

Members online

No members online now.