Fostering Question

Thisjolog

Just wanted to say that this question is directed to people who have fostered or had experience with a foster dog.

I was just wanted to ask what your experience was like with a foster dog. The good the bad? I'm planning to foster a dog soon to get the feel of taking care of a dog and to of also help out the rescue.

Thank you in advance.

Christian

M

Manchesters

Different

Thisjolog said:
Just wanted to say that this question is directed to people who have fostered or had experience with a foster dog.

I was just wanted to ask what your experience was like with a foster dog. The good the bad? I'm planning to foster a dog soon to get the feel of taking care of a dog and to of also help out the rescue.

Thank you in advance.

Christian
Every case is different, depending on the dog, and the baggage it brings with it. The most important things are patience, gentleness, and lots of treats!

Thisjolog

Manchesters said:
Every case is different, depending on the dog, and the baggage it brings with it. The most important things are patience, gentleness, and lots of treats!
Is there a way to get a foster dog that is at least OK with toddlers? Or no?

Thanks for the reply.

M

Manchesters

Should Be!

Thisjolog said:
Is there a way to get a foster dog that is at least OK with toddlers? Or no?

Thanks for the reply.
Most shelters temperament test their dogs to see what kind of environment they can tolerate. They will test them to make sure they are not food aggressive, or jumpy around children or babies.

I personally wouldn't place a dog with anyone who had a toddler unless the kid were obedience trained!!!! Toddlers can be downright mean and hateful toward a dog! Then the dog gets the blame if it tries to defend itself.

But I was a meanie....I would not even sell a pup to a home with a child younger than 16, rofl.

If any of the groups you plan to work with do not temperament test, dont' get any dogs from them!

And blessings upon you for wanting to foster. You are an angel!!!!!!

taratippy

We're on our 4th foster at the moment but we dont have toddlers around very much so cant help with that one! It does take some time and patience but as already said depends very much on the dog and dont forget they can change after being in a home. We usually try and take a dog over a weekend so they can settle and we can keep an eye on them, also crate for a while when out, we also have 5 of our own dogs so make sure they all get on.

One bad bad thing about fostering can of course be giving them up to their new forever home - it hurts!!! - but is also so rewarding and then before you know it another one comes along.

Good luck and well done for doing it.

Fran27

Lots of rescues don't want people who have kids below 6 to adopt, so I doubt they would want them to foster. But you can do it when the kid is older.

bubbatd

The ones I've fostered are usually the older or sick ones. I can't take chances with high strung ones. Also, they have to respect Chip.

Members online

No members online now.