Just saying hi

Nataly

I am a new member, so I'm just saying hello to all the animal addicts like me :). This seems like a very useful website and forum, and I melt when I look at the pet pictures!

I found this site, sadly, right after my dog died. She was almost 8 years old and got cancer. A week has past and I can't find comfort, but pictures of animals (and live animals even moreso) can cheer me up. I found these forums when I was researching dog breeds, because our last dog was a pyrenean, and now we need a smaller breed.
Anyway, I'm glad to meet you all!

lc212

Nataly said:
I am a new member, so I'm just saying hello to all the animal addicts like me :). This seems like a very useful website and forum, and I melt when I look at the pet pictures!

I found this site, sadly, right after my dog died. She was almost 8 years old and got cancer. A week has past and I can't find comfort, but pictures of animals (and live animals even moreso) can cheer me up. I found these forums when I was researching dog breeds, because our last dog was a pyrenean, and now we need a smaller breed.
Anyway, I'm glad to meet you all!
Hi Nataly, Sorry to hear about your pet, I kow how bad it hurts I lost my 9 year old Rotti to bone cancer Last year and I am still not over it although I do have anothe r dog and I found it helped me so much in the greeving process to get another dog as soon as I could. I love this site and I do hope you find comfort. Linda

sammie

Hi Nataly.
So sorry about your dog :( do hope you will enjoy it here im new and they seem a lovely bunch :D

Nataly

Thanks, Linda and Sammie. :) We're looking for a breed that's compatible to our abilities, and so far the boston terrier seemed a perfect match, not needing much grroming or extreme excercise, and his loving personality, aswell as being so adorably cute! They do tend to have eyes, respiratory, and heart problems, but all breeds have their diseases, so there's nothing that can be doen about that.

Does anyone own a boston terrier? Are they very prone to sickness?

Hi Nataly,

I'm so sorry about your dog. :( I hope we can cheer you up.

Yes, this forum is very useful. We have a lot of friendly members that can help you with anything.

WELCOME TO CHAZHOUND!

Hi, Nataly. Over time, your grief will ease, but for now take comfort in the wonderful memories you have. I've had to say good bye to too many of the animals who have been a part of me, either to old age, or, alas, too soon in two cases to illness and intentional poisoning. It never gets easy, and I still miss them, but new companions find their way into our lives and make their own special places in our hearts.

Bostons are lovely little dogs, but be prepared to do a lot of breeder research and make a significant investment to have the best possible chance of avoiding the genetic problems that have become associated with, not only the Bostons, but many of the breeds that at some time have gained a sudden and significant jump in popularity.

You might even consider a rescued dog. There are rescues associated with most breeds, and you can bypass some of the stuff (like housetraining!) that comes with a new puppy. Of course, a new puppy is just the cutest possible creature. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages.

Maybe Serena will chime in soon with some good advice. She has excellent up close experience with all types of different dogs and will be sure to have something helpful to add.

Nataly

Yep, they sure do, tl. It also helps to look throgh old photos of her, I'm gonna have to put a few of them up here soon :).

Thanks everyone, for the support and advice.
We researched quite a bit, starting with a book on dog raising (with s a list of most breeds), and later the boston terrier was shown to be the "perfect" match for our lifestyle, apparantly, in a breed selector online. More advice is always welcome, thankyou Serena:

We live in a home with a fenced garden, but the fence is quite low in some parts, so the dog mustn't be able to jump over it. A small-medium breed which requires average excercise, minimal grooming, and with an obedient, easily trainable, pleasant temperment. Basically, your average family dog, except his size needs to small enough to be taken in a bus or the train somewhere, like the vet. We considered the Pug, but they seemed a bit too small and not quite lively enough, though I may be wrong. The boston terrier was just about the perfect fit, though it turns out they could be hard to find around our country.
If you have any suggestion for other breeds, I'd love to hear :).
We did consider taking a mixed dog from a shelter, but we want to get a puppy, and with a mix we wouldn't know what size the puppy would be when grown up. We might, oncee our purebred puppy grows up a bit, take a dog from a shelter at about 1 year of age.

Members online

No members online now.