I need help with Mia

xpaeanx

Well...crap and good? I'm glad to hear she doesn't have any other underlying issues. But of course, was hoping for "oh, clearly this is 90% of the problem and we can fix it like this!"
This.

Also, at least you know for sure what the problem is. It seemed like your regular vet wasn't entirely forthcoming with information.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well...crap and good? I'm glad to hear she doesn't have any other underlying issues. But of course, was hoping for "oh, clearly this is 90% of the problem and we can fix it like this!"
Yeah that's kind of how I feel. I was hoping it'd be like Oh hey there's this other thing that we can treat that will help a lot' but that's not the case.

Well, I'm glad and not glad. Glad there isn't anything more serious going on, but I was hoping for something fixable. Still, good to have the peace of mind of knowing what's going on.

Shakou

It's a **** situation for sure. But it sounds like the circumstances are about as "good" as it can be for this situation. I'm glad it's not something worse. Hugs to Mia.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Glad to hear the news isn't as bad as it could have been. Mia's going to have to get used to being loved up and cuddled a lot now instead of running around too much.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks. She's slowly adjusting. It's around 90 outside right now and it just totally cripples her. She really can't do anything outside. And that sucks. :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
For anyone curious they emailed me a report:

DIAGNOSIS:
Collapsing trachea - mild

HISTORY:
Mia, a 5 year old female, spayed papillon, presented to OSU-VTH as a referral for collapsing trachea. In April, Mia was seen by _____________who performed thoracic radiographs and diagnosed collapsing trachea. She has been having increased respiratory sounds (raspy exhalation) and she also had some exercise intolerance. The loud, raspy breathing occurs after Mia has been playing or walking; no coughing was noted. She vomits foam once in a while. She is otherwise eating, drinking, and defecating fine. She is on heartworm prevention and current on vaccinations. Mia lives with another dog, apparently healthy.

Wt: 3.9 kg T: 102.1 F HR: 88/min RR: 40/min MM: pink, moist CRT: < 2 sec
Mia was bright, alert, and responsive on presentation. Her eyes and ears were clear. Her heart asculted with no arrhythmias or murmurs and her femoral pulses were strong and synchronous. Her lungs ausculted with normal bronchovesicular sounds, with no crackles or wheezes. On palpation of the trachea, a cough could be repeatedly and consistently elicited. No abnormalities were found on abdominal palpation. Mia's submandibular, prescapular, and popliteal lymph nodes palpated of normal size and consistency. Upon abdominal palpation, no pain was elicited and no masses or organomegaly were noted. While in the exam room, she became excited and her raspy, increased respiratory sounds were noted.

DIAGNOSTICS:
1. Chemistries: AST 92 (15-66), Potassium 3.4 (3.6-5.5), Na/K ratio 43 (27-38), CPK 2,347 (59-895) - not clinically significant
2. CBC/Differential: Platelets 507 10^3/mL (170-400) - not clinically significant
3. Urinalysis: all within normal range
4. CO2: within normal range
5. Thoracic Radiographs: final report pending. On preliminary examination, there are no evidence of bronchitis, pneumonia or severe tracheal collapse.
6. Thoracic Fluoroscopy: final report pending. On preliminary examination, findings consistent with mild tracheal collapse

ASSESSMENT:
Mia's thoracic radiographs and thoracic fluoroscopy imaging show signs of mild tracheal collapse. Tracheal collapse is
common in small and miniature dog breeds and its cause is unknown, although a genetic predisposition is suspected.
The diagnosis is usually made based on clinical signs, history, radiologic and fluoroscopic findings. Unfortunately, there is no treatment but it can be managed with medical treatment (cough suppressants, antinflammatory, bronchodilators, antibiotics for eventual secondary bacterial infections). The stent placement is only recommended for those patients with extremely severe clinical signs which cannot be controlled with the medical treatment.
Mia's tracheal collapse and clinical symptoms are mild, but she should be monitored for non-productive cough (goose honking sound), worsening of her exercise intolerance, labored breathing, or a blue tinge to her gums due to a lack of proper oxygenation. If these signs are seen, initiation of medical treatment would be recommended.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. Please restrict Mia's activity so as to avoid any episodes of increased respiratory effort.
2. Continue to monitor Mia's respiration for signs of worsening trachea collapse such as goose honking, labored breathing, increased exercise intolerance, or blue tinged gums.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Poor girl :(

Glad to hear she's perfectly healthy otherwise, but that adjustment to a lower activity lifestyle is going to suck majorly. I know how many plans you had for her.

Once things cool down will she be able to run around again?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It was in the low 70s and humid yesterday but cloudy and rainy so we went walking for about an hour and she did GREAT. I think I am going to have to play it by how she's doing. I can't relegate her to the house forever. Yesterday she had zero issues with her noisy breathing. So on days like that I plan to still let her go, just at her own pace. The summer is going to be miserable for her though. :/

It does suck we had to quit all our stuff with her but I'm mostly just worried about her having a good life. It sucks this had to happen to such an active dog with such an active little mind.

Members online

No members online now.