The dog musing/vent thread

This is NOT a dig on you Laurelin, but it's so fascinating to me to see the differences in different people's personalities and decision making process. Like, I do not do things completely willy-nilly but I can act fairly impulsively without too much agonizing if my gut is telling me to go for something. And I see you being so careful and thoughtful about your journey to a new puppy. Not saying either way is better/worse, it's just super interesting to me how people arrive at their destinations in so many different ways.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I really want a puppy... mostly because of my belief that puppies fix most problems... but I can't have one now. I really want four years between P and the next puppy. And P just turned two.

But I want one nooooooowwwwww.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I'm really, really tired of the mislabeling of dogs as Malinois or Malinois X's. I'm not just being a bitch, the problem is that we don't need everything under the sun being described as a Mal just the same way there are so many "pit bulls."

This is apparently a "100% match" physically and behaviorally for a Malinois:

(obviously not my picture)

Not to mention, the guy I've been seeing had his fat, bi-colored GSD foster dog at an event and a lady marched up to him and TOLD him (not asked, not suggested) that the dog was a Malinois. Even when he laughed, said he knew what Mals were and this wasn't one.

This... is not good. It should not be "in" to randomly label your dog a Mal. Ugh.

Hillside

Original Twin
I'm really, really tired of the mislabeling of dogs as Malinois or Malinois X's. I'm not just being a bitch, the problem is that we don't need everything under the sun being described as a Mal just the same way there are so many "pit bulls."

This is apparently a "100% match" physically and behaviorally for a Malinois:

(obviously not my picture)

Not to mention, the guy I've been seeing had his fat, bi-colored GSD foster dog at an event and a lady marched up to him and TOLD him (not asked, not suggested) that the dog was a Malinois. Even when he laughed, said he knew what Mals were and this wasn't one.

This... is not good. It should not be "in" to randomly label your dog a Mal. Ugh.
Preach on, sister. It does no immediate harm with THAT dog, it's when someone with a random mix that they think is a Malinois, goes out and gets an ACTUAL Malinois and it's not anything like their non Mal mix. THAT is what gets me. Or someone who has met a non Mal goes out and gets one based on the non Mal.

Lyzelle

When Zander and Ace first met(when we moved in) we were iffy about everything because Ace has had fights(bullied, not the instigator) with another male dog in the past. But Ace eventually calmed down after a few days and realized Zander wasn't going to do anything.

So now Ace is SUPER lovey dovey, giving kisses, wants to cuddle, play time all the time, crying when they are separated.

But now Zander is being the snippy or unplayful one. And Ace is SUPER depressed about it.

Can't win. My dog is such a priss.

ETA: And he is still scratching like crazy. He was doing it before we moved in, but Ace is doing it too and has completely eaten himself raw in some places, going bald in others.

I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT. They have a musty, oily dog smell to them but there's nothing that obviously says skin yeast infection, no sores, no fleas, no ticks, NOTHING.

Torch

Whatever happened to calling a mutt a mutt?
Because mutts aren't special. The dog either has to be some "uncommon" breed or a fancy designer mix. That adorable, super smart dog of non purebred parentage you got at a shelter? Not special at all.

/end sarcasm.
I say mutt ALL the time because it's the tiny bit I can do to take the negativity from the term. I use it very affectionately, saying things like "my mutt puppy" or "my mutt doggie". If someone presses me, I usually say that I have no idea what Henry is, and that you "can't beat a good mutt".

Just trying to do my part ;)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This is NOT a dig on you Laurelin, but it's so fascinating to me to see the differences in different people's personalities and decision making process. Like, I do not do things completely willy-nilly but I can act fairly impulsively without too much agonizing if my gut is telling me to go for something. And I see you being so careful and thoughtful about your journey to a new puppy. Not saying either way is better/worse, it's just super interesting to me how people arrive at their destinations in so many different ways.
I'm an overthinker and a worrier sometimes.

I'm also a mathematician and a bit OCD. :lol-sign: I was raised by an engineer.

Last edited:

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Josefina is a fight starting little bitch. She gets along with everyone except the one other female we have, I don't know what I am going to do with her :(.

While I am there no fights start because I am very versed in dog body lingo, & at the first sign of stink eye, I will put the stink eye-ER in time out (whoever that may be) I have taught my folks what to look for as far as "stink eye" because that's how it all starts.

I fear I have two SSA females (because the older girl never got along with Izze either, the only difference is there were squabbles but no blood) there has been one fight (I was not there) where blood was spilt (no serious injuries thank god). But it has me seriously rethinking of I am the best home for her or not :(

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
Circus and Lugia both swam for the first time to-day! :yikes:

I'd been trying to get Lugia to swim for months but she always refused to go beyond chest-high. And Circus, well... she never really liked the water because the first time I took her to the beach a wave smacked her in the face.

I met up with one of my friends who has a lab/shepherd/heeler mix, Pablo, and my girls *adore* him. When they saw him do water retrieves they both dove in right after him! Circus (you could just SEE her steel herself and muster the courage) sprinted across the surface of the pond while crying the whole time! Lugia (who's apparently bottom heavy) bobbed awkwardly as she tried to fetch a tennis ball in the deep pond. God it was hilarious... and I couldn't get video because this all occurred well after sundown. :(

GipsyQueen

Zora is such a velcro towards me. I mean it's cute, but oh my god it can get annoying. As soon as she hears my voice in the morning, she starts barking and doesn't stop until I'm down stairs.
If I do anything besides pet her all day I get my shirt pulled on, or jumped on, or barked at.
If I leave she barks for like 10 minutes straight (I can hear her pretty far down the street)
If I want to sit on the couch I have to put her in a nother room, since she always wants to sit on me on the couch. -.-

I love her, but OH MY GOD. VELCRO.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I wish Pan would stop holding his ears back. I know he is doing that because he is teething, but it makes my life harder when it comes to taping his ears down. One of his ears keep wanting to pop up a little bit and I am getting annoyed with it. ha ha. His one ear is staying perfect though, which is good :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
There's a doberman in impound at work... my mom wants me to make it clear to everyone that we want her once she's released....

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm hesitant but my mom really wants her. It'd be "her" dog, I have enough of my own lol. She was talking about getting a dobe or boxer puppy next spring but I don't think she really wants to do the pippy thing, so this might be better!

Just have to wait till she's released and see how she does with the current clan!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I wore my puppy out.

I didn't think it was possible. Guess an hour long go-go-go walk with no breaks will do it! Now let's just see how long he stays crashed out on the kitchen floor...I bet he's up in 20 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.