OFA and CERF certificates?

M

Manchesters

Tests

Puppy said:
hello. what are those certificates above? thanks.
OFA certification shows that the dog has been xrayed for Canine Hip Dysplasia and has graded well enough to be accepted by the Orthopedic Foundation Of America. They grade x-rays from 1-4 I believe.

And please look up Hip Dysplasia on the interent!

CERF tests for Progressive Retinal Atrophy.....a condition whereby the retina of the eye gradually shrinks until the dog ends up blind.

The sporting breeds seem to be very prone to PRA. But I guess any dog could have the problem.

These two health problems are tested for by reputable, trustworthy breeders of those breeds known to have these problems. Reputable breeders also give lifetime guarantees against these conditions.

One of the reasons I became discouraged with Dobermans as far as breeding (in addition to the money, rofl) was that every year it seemed new ailments were being found. Hips, of course. CVI...cervical (neck) vertabrae instability which leads to wobblers' syndrome. Then came cardiomyopathy.....sudden death syndrome, where the dog just flat dropped dead. Then vWD von Willebrands.....bleeding disorder...blood does not clot.

Whippets have little or no problems.....perhaps PRA. Manchesters have vWD and Leggs Perthes. Mine don't. But I don't breed anymore.

THANK YOU For asking this question, and providing a chance for other posters to learn about these problems and educate themselves on them! I am not an expert, or a genius......these problems are known among dog people as common knowledge. So I am not trying to prove I know more than anybody else!!!!!!

bubbatd

When my goldens got their OFAs they were rated..Excellent, Good, Poor and unacceptabe ( or however they rated it ...)

bubbatd

I should have said they WERE rating !!!!!! Mine were excellent and good.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
oky doke.thanks for answering that.when you said manchesters

sudden death syndrome, where the dog just flat dropped dead.

why does that happed?

M

Manchesters

Cardiomyopathy

Puppy said:
oky doke.thanks for answering that.when you said manchesters

sudden death syndrome, where the dog just flat dropped dead.

why does that happed?
Sudden Death Syndrome is also known as cardiomyopathy. The heart suddenly stops beating and the victim falls dead to the ground.

Members online

No members online now.