Age of Neutering Small Dogs?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I was researching mini dachshunds and found a breeder that looked interesting. I was reading her contract and it stated that "pet" quality males where to be neutered before or at 9 months of age.

I know with large dogs it's best to wait a couple of years for the dog to mature before altering. Does the same apply to small dogs? Is 9 months mature for a mini dachshund, or does that seem young?

Flyinsbt

9 months seems fine for a dog that size to me. I'm not really of the "couple of years" camp for larger dogs either, once the growth plates are closed (generally by 15 months, except in the largest of breeds), there's no reason I can think of to wait longer. A mini Dachshund will be thoroughly done with long bone growth by 9 months.

JacksonsMom

Yeah, I think 9 months is fine for small dogs. Jackson was fixed around 7 months and he was pretty much at his 'full grown' size. Of course he's filled out a lot since then, but not much different.

Seems fine to me (although I do still prefer 10-12 months). Noodle was done around 11 months, except for coming to us morbidly obese he seemed to be very structurally the same, they do mature faster.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
My girl (mini Dachshund) was done at 7 months. I wish I had waited to 9 months, but anytime between 7 and 12 months is good for Doxies (minis).

Members online

No members online now.