how rough is too rough??

Flyinsbt

I show and compete in sports with my dogs, and despite being pretty well trained for the sports we participate in, mine have pretty crappy house manners. It's partly because I actively encourage drive and enthusiasm, which is something pet dog people don't do as much. Most people want an easier pet. And it's partly because I just really don't care that much. The things that most people mind, I don't.

So I wouldn't assume that just because a dog is a little crazy and excitable, that means the dog isn't a house pet. It often just means the owner has rather different tolerance levels that the general population.

BostonBanker

My older dog would be one of those who might shock you with how "unstable" she seems if you walked anywhere within site with your dogs. She can walk through a crowd of dogs at the ingate at an agility trial without blinking, but a big pushy rowdy dog will have her barking and wound up instantly. She will also charge her crate door if dogs are parked in front of it (although doesn't care if people crowd her crate). I read your post in my bed, sandwiched between my two dogs who had slept their all night.

Of course not all competition dogs fit the definition of "stable", but the vast majority I know are beloved pets and companions outside of the competition ring.

I think seeking a trainer who would be able to manage interactions between your dogs and a strange dog is definitely the best answer if you decide to work on their dogs skills rather than just continue maintenance, which it sounds like you are also fully able to handle. I have one dog who has spectacular dogs skills, incredibly stable - and honestly, I wouldn't let him interact with big, loud pushy dogs. His good manners don't need to be tested by putting him in a situation where he may get worried or bullied. I think the key to successful dog interactions is going to depend more on the people handling things than on the actual dog you interact with.

Poor dogs, and when their done competing (make back to back litters for a few years possibly...then?) or they aren't naturally gifted enough then....???

i guess we are all either someone who loves their dog/s and wants to do something with it/them based on what the dog enjoys and those that love the sport/competition and need a dog to do it with.
I guess you didn't read the post above your's ?????????

lizzybeth727

interesting take on it, dunno what i was expecting, something like all that fancy training actually spilled over to when the dogs were not just on the training field - but thinking about it when they were not on the field or going to or from it they were in crates??
Poor dogs, and when their done competing (make back to back litters for a few years possibly...then?) or they aren't naturally gifted enough then....???

i guess we are all either someone who loves their dog/s and wants to do something with it/them based on what the dog enjoys and those that love the sport/competition and need a dog to do it with.
I feel like you're not at all understanding my point. I don't know how else to make my point. So I'm going to leave now.

Please hire a trainer to help your puppies.

D&Co

seems the exposure to other sensible dogs has done the trick as far as making the pups sociable one at a time around the publc and other dogs.

no real dramas altho i will never let them off leash in public, i don't need to or want to.

thanks for comments.

Members online

No members online now.