Won't go out alone

Klaus

Lucy is a 10 month Puggle that we have had about 2 months. She doesn't want to go out into the fenced yard without me or my wife and she still takes a bit of coaxing to get her out. She likes it out there with someone and sometimes even alone but getting her out there is a chore. She is house broken and at times she claws and whines at the door but when you open it she won't go out. I have spent time with her in the yard and then gone in the house, She then wants in. There were times I let her in and times I made her stay out for a while. Its like she doesn,t trust me to let her in again. Any ideas why she acts like this and what should I do about it.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
She probably just wants to be near you you should be thankful and anyways its a good idea for you to stay out with her
But if you really don't want to stay out with her slowly wean her away from you by going and staying out with her first the whole time she is out then the next time leave her out by herself maybe five minutes then slowly increase the time she spends outside by herself

It's best that she be supervised outside. Beagles tend to try to take off after enticing scents, and you never know when that side of her might surface. And anyway, life is much more interesting for her with her people, so of course she wants to be with you. After all, how much trouble can a little one like that be underfoot? She's big enough to see and not worry about stepping on, but small enough not to knock you over.

Be thankful you're not trying to cook (or do anything else) with two Filas volunteering their helpful (?) services! ;)

Klaus

Renee, you have no idea how much trouble Lucy can get into out of our sight. She chews on EVERYTHING!!! I work out of my home and it's impossible t do two things at once. She can be so sweet one moment then the she gets the urge to chew. I thought it would be better for her to be outside than in her cage but it seems that you folks don't feel that way. She takes her time at going potty and we don't look forward to standing in the snow in our jammies so we would be happy if she could go potty by herself.

Poor Klaus! LOL! You'd love the battles we've had with Shiva over behaviour. She's my Zen puppy. Totally in the moment. And there are just some things she finds irresistable. She wants to be good, but sometimes she just can't. If she thinks there might be something tasty hidden on top of the dishwasher, way back in the back, she will search until she finds it. I have to put things on top of the refrigerator, but she's figured out how to hit it just right with that big shoulder to dislodge something interesting . . . I dread the day she figures out how to open the pantry door . . . and it's a good thing Charley left the handles off of the refrigerator when he bought the new one! Thankfully, she and Kharma were both good puppies when it came to chewing on things they weren't supposed to, although Shiva did have an obsession with those tags, you know, the ones that aren't supposed to be removed except by the consumer under penalty of law and are always an integral part of whatever they're attached to so you CAN'T remove them without destroying the item. I finally found her a big nylon ball thingy that has the same flippy feel as those tags! And the Orbee-Tuff bones are indispensable!

Snow and jammies don't mix, do they? As she gets a little older she will probably get better about going ahead and doing her business while you stand at the door. If she can see you standing there, she should get more confident, but you may have to stand there awhile several times. They can be stubborn little critters sometimes!

You might have good luck with a "puppy-proofed" room with a baby gate across the door. That way she can see you, but can't be out getting into everything she knows she's not supposed to be into. You do realize she does it to get your attention? When you think she's being naughty, you have to leave what you're doing and go look for her - a wonderful game in a dog's mind! They train us very well. :D

Klaus

I realize and understand most of her puppy behavior and try to accept it. Last night instead of coaxing and bribing her to get her out I simply put her on the leash and walked her into the yard (fenced) then turned her loose. Much faster and easier.

You don't necessarily need to accept her behaviour. It's often in her best interests (and the best interests of your own sanity! ;) ) just to understand her behaviour so you can most easily start modifying it.

That was a good idea last night. There have been times when I've literally had to brace myself and use my legs to shove Shiva out the door! Bribing doesn't work very well in the long run. She'll soon figure out how to manipulate you into giving her attention and treats by not doing what she knows she's supposed to do. They really can be almost frighteningly quick at learning how to manage us, and sometimes we're easier to train! :D

Members online

No members online now.