Cooper is leaving

Richie12345

Thanks, Juliefurry, I've worked something out with my dad. He still wants to get rid of the pup, but I got a couple more chances. I'm not gonna put up with him, he can say all he wants but he isn't gonna kill that pup. No freaking way! I just got real depressed during football practice, all like I have no cofidence and stuff. Then I met this beautiful lab... I guess I had to be reminded why I wanted a dog. I got my confidence back, the worse this pup is gonna face is him going to a good home. But I'm not gonna give up right now. This feeling is hard to explain, mostly I'm gonna try again, and if I fail he's gonna go to a good home. No question about it, and I won't regret it...

Plus my dad kinda felt sorry for me, when someone took my football helmet I was stressing up so much I almost cried. He just said don't worry bout it buddy... it was the first time I felt close to him in months, maybe years...

Hi Richie. I'm so sorry for all of your troubles. I grew up with a dad that sounds a lot like yours so I am feeling your pain. My dad was "the great white hunter" and always had hunting dogs (mostly beagles) and when he got a "bad" dog, he thought nothing of taking it out in a field and shooting it. Many a dog and pet cat mysteriously disapeared during my childhood.
A most vivid memory of mine as a kid (not sure how old but definately under 10) was of one of the beagles having puppies and my dad getting all of us kids together to watch while he put those puppies in a burlap bag, filled a big bucket with water and prepared to drown them. We all cried so much that he stopped....but he killed them later when we were gone. My mother told me later in life that he did it to teach us that life was hard. How's that for some f*cked up logic?
When I was 17, he shot my cat right in front of me (because it was "sick").
I was also told throughout my formative years that I was a nothing and a nobody and I was stupid. I hope that's something that you don't have to deal with because yep, you do start believing it.
I hope that your dad is all talk and no action, meaning his threats regarding Cooper.
I think you've set yourself up for a no-win situation because Cooper *is* going to have accidents and the fact that your dad doesn't realize this is just ignorance on his behalf. It comes with having a puppy. And now you're just going to blame yourself if Cooper has an accident, as if you've failed him. It's not fair for someone your age to have that kind of stress. Geeze, doesn't your dad realize that pee and poop can be cleaned up? With the products they have out now, nobody would ever know the pup even had an accident.
I wish you and Cooper nothing but luck.
Maybe if you do some things with your dad and Cooper together, he will come to love him too and the two of you may become closer.
I'm saying a prayer for you.

Pam

Richie12345

I don't expect my dad to ever love Cooper, but I'm just so **** stubborn I'm not gonna let him go without a real fight. As I said b4, I'm gonna try again. And if I fail, I well go to the breeder and make her take him back before Dad kills him.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
PUT A LEASH on your puppy..keep him where you can SEE him 24/7...set a timer like you use in the kitchen for 30 minutes and take him out each time it goes off..until you can SEE for yourself how often he needs to urinate. Then you can adjust the time for the amount his bladder can hold. Take him out the SECOND he wakes up..even wake him up to take him out if you think he has napped his normal amount. TAKE him out THE MINUTE he is finished eating..if it takes him awhile..then groovy time for some play out in the yard. THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!! If you follow it to the letter your pup will be house broken in no time and you will have ZERO accidents..make sure that all spots in the house are absolutely cleaned up..get a spray that neutralizes the urine..sams club sells one called odorban that works very well..there are others. Be diligent..be determined..Victor and i did this from the second he came home. He had been in a shelter/kennel 2 months of his 5..he was housebroken completely 3 days. I house broke a whole litter at the same time..all housebroken by 8 weeks..granted i did take them out every half hour without fail..then 45 min..the an hour..when they went to their new homes the owners were postitively amazed. WHen you let ..stress YOU LET him have accidents in the house you send a mixed message..and that starts the sneaky behavior of ok..it isn't ok to urinate when you are looking at me..and it is ok when your not..or it isn't ok in this room but hey went i went in the other room no one yelled at me... see what i mean? He's just a baby..and you are the smart one. You CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!! GO put the leash on him the minute you take him out of the crate..Soon as he comes inside, where you are he is at least 3 feet away where you can see and feel him. Get it done and over with. The only reason it took 6 months is because this wasn't done. When he does go outside..tell him he is the most magnificant wonderful dog in the whole world..make a huge deal about it..point to it and praise the dickens out of him..he will understand. The only reason a dog has accidents inside is because he does not completely understand what you want.

Richie12345

alright, I just got a timer recently. I'm making his walks longer and even having him run around. I just found out he likes this game that tires him out. He hasn't peed or anything inside since this morning. I'm gonna try to be awake b4 he is today. I've been praising him much more lately than I used to when he potties...

Oh Richie I'm so sorry to hear about all this!!!! You deffinately do not deserve to be the target of abuse. I am quite impressed with how calm you're handling the situation. HUGS!!! If you ever need to chat about anything you know how to PM me ;)

Richie12345

thanks OC

right now, I have no problem yelling at my dad if he brings up the whole "I'm gonna kill Coop"

Becca_

chowchow
Follow Smkie's instructions. She is right, it doesnt have to take a long time to housebreak them. You just have to devote alot of your time to working on this. You have to watch them closely and the leash would be the easiest way. Good luck Richie.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I really hope things work out for you and Coop. I just want to say I care about you both and please keep us all updated.

Y

yuckaduck

What a tragedy, you so much wanted a dog. I do not understand why you can't just do as your dad says, step up and look after your dog. He is your dog, and your parents bought him for you. Tie a leash to yourself and attach it to Cooper. Take him out every half hour and reward reward reward the good. At night padlock his crate so mommy does not do such a stupid thing again. At night get up and take him out more often. Remove all food and water at least 4 hours before bedtime. It really is not that hard but you need to get your dad to settle abit here, I mean it is a pup and you are a kid with a life. This should be a family thing where everyone helps each other but since it is not; step up and look after your dog.

qwkslvr

Vizsla Mom
Richie, I have a vizsla pup myself so I understand how active they are. Just remember "a tired vizsla is a good vizsla". I don't understand how your dad has not gotten suck in by the vizsla charm?! Well good luck, if you need a home for cooper let me know I have quite a few people here who are waiting for my son's and my dog to breed. Everyone has been bitten by the vizsla bug. Take care Kiddo!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
You know I honestly don't think the potty training is the issue with richie and his dad. Once they get that cleared up then his dad will find something else to blame on the dog. by the sounds of it, its just the kind of person he is. i don't know who said it earlier in this thread but control is what he wants. he wants the power and control over richie and cooper. I really would be fearing for coopers life too if I were richie. I am sorry you have to deal with this richie :(

Y

yuckaduck

I sure do agree with that too, concerning daddy dearest. Sorry Richie but it really irkes me when parents are so nasty and less than loving with their children. I believe you are a great person and mature well beyond your years. I hope that maybe if you step up a bit more that you can keep Cooper but if it is a safety issue than I support your decision 100% to re home him. Only you know what is best because you are the one living it. I wish you all the best and I know you will make the right choice for both of you. If you need to talk I am here just PM me anytime. I check often so it will not belong before I am here. I value our friendship and I wish I was closer and could help more. Hugs

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i believe it was me..and that was what i said..with cooper gone father will only replace the threat with something else he cares about. That is my biggest concern.

keyodie

Keyozilla
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry...I wish your dad knew that cleaning up after the dog and hard work is part of owning a dog. I'm so sorry, but I think you made the right choice. Man...

Ok I just read over the thread. Hope it works out!

Last edited:

Richie12345

qwkslvr said:
Richie, I have a vizsla pup myself so I understand how active they are. Just remember "a tired vizsla is a good vizsla". I don't understand how your dad has not gotten suck in by the vizsla charm?! Well good luck, if you need a home for cooper let me know I have quite a few people here who are waiting for my son's and my dog to breed. Everyone has been bitten by the vizsla bug. Take care Kiddo!
thanks, I am tiring Coop at now. He's sleeping as I type this right now, lol

Members online

No members online now.