Visiting a Breeder Saturday

Maxy24

Not for me of course, after 8 months of looking my aunt and uncle have found a potential lab pup! They are visiting a breeder to meet a 7 month old female and have asked me to come along since I helped them find the breeder and plan to be their trainer and dog sitter. I'm so excited and nervous and it's not even my dog! I really hope the meeting goes well. My aunt and uncle have two 9 year old kids so of course how they get along with the dog will be the biggest decision making factor. I have no idea what to expect, I've never gotten a dog from a breeder plus all this time I was preparing to help them bring home an 8 week old not an adolescent. So it'll be interesting. I can't wait! I'm still not 100% clear on whether or not the pup will be coming home if it goes well or if that will be a separate trip. I know my aunt just bought a whole bunch of dog stuff today so I think it's a possibility.

So any helpful advice for them when it comes to meeting/visiting a breeder for the first time? What can we expect?

All breeders are going to be different, so it is hard to say what to expect. Some will question you so much that it seems like an interrogation, however, these breeders usually have an extensive questionnaire online that you need to fill out before even meeting with you.

Some breeders will walk you in show you the pup and wait to see if you buy them and let you walk out the door that day.

Advice, most breeders don't want to hear that you are planning on using any sort of corrective ways of training. So if you are questioned about that be careful if that was something you are planning on.

Do not disrespect the breeder or their breeding program.

Either way I would suggest just being open and honest, you should have some questions for the breeder, especially if don't have a website or it is not very thorough. (The questions will depend on what is important to you, but I would ask if you don't already know anything on this list: http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787) The only thing that I disagree with that list is the age of spay/neuter. Just because there is evidence it is best to leave the hormones intact until the puppies growth plates are fully grown (around 12-18 months of age). And any questions about the individual dog you have what seems to motivate them, their energy level, house-trained or not, why she is selling him/her at this age, etc.

Members online

No members online now.