behavior training opinion

OK...I have finally talked my hubby into taking our dog(s) to obedience/behavior school. He (and I agree) is worried that it will be a waste of money, and fears that we will invest our time and $$ into the wrong place. I would love to have both dogs in basic obedience, but when it comes down to it, I really just want to be able to control my 1 year old PBT. SHe is sooo rambunctious and strong. Can anyone please give me some tips on what to look for and what to be wary of when searching for the most effective and cost efficient school/trainer? Anything is appreciated. Also, if anyone is from the Birmingham, AL area, any reccommendations? Thanks in advance....Melissa

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
Call a few different places you could prbably even look them up on the net then call and get prices and then ask if you can come and observe a couple of classes most would be more than happy to let you watch for as long as you would like inorder to make you decision on which one you like best even though most may employ the same techniques make sure you decide on one that you get along with and then make sure you continue the training at home one suggestion though is do not use those pet store trainers I am sorry if I offend anyone here but they do not do there jobs like they should

Brattina88

agilitydobemom said:
one suggestion though is do not use those pet store trainers I am sorry if I offend anyone here but they do not do there jobs like they should
I'm sorry if you've had a bad experiance with them. Maddie was trained at Pets Mart, and I have nothing but good things to say about them (here), they're awsome! It was almost as if they weren't even linked to Pets Mart, she knew everything and researched All the time, especailly if she was asked soemthing she wasn't sure of.
They do have to undergo a certain amount of training, I guess it depends on an individual. See if you can watch a particular trainer teach a class before you decide. I'm thinking of taking Carly to Pets Mart, more for the socailization because I'm not too bad of a trainer ;)

candy722

Toki was trained at Petsmart and I think they are the cheapest compared to other places. I think if you choose private training would be the same as going to petsmart but just one on one. I think Petsmart did help my dod socialize with other dogs and learn a few important commands.

flyndog

Dogs Made Easy!
Those Petsmart trainers have a rough gig, training with all those distractions!
Kit

candy722

That is true though your dog does get distracted alot at petsmart or even petco. But i really think private training is too expensive and your dog doesn't get a chance to socialize with other doggies and people.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I am sorry but I do not agree I use an exceptional perfessional trainer who does not work at petsmart and after every session of training all the dogs get to run around togeather and play and socialize
As for the Petsmart trainers they are crappy in my opinion I took one of my dogs to one of the classes they had first of all it cost me $160 for 6 weeks of sitting on the floor and listening to the instructor talk and never once did he have any hands on with my dog or anyone elses for that fact and what my dog did learn was stuff I taught him my personal trainer only cost $80 for 8 weeks and she has 20 minutes of hands on every time with each dog maybe it was the one and only petsmart trainer that was s**ty but I would never take my dogs there again and not only that during the six weeks I was there; there were three dog fights and one involved a Doberman and a Rott mix and the Dobe had to be rushed to an emegency vet clinic because his face was ripped half off in my opinion these classes were totally out of control and unstructured
I am not someone who is dog stupid and I have lots of experience in training, showing, and many other areas and this is just my opion if any of you had good experiences with petsmart good for you I am glad that you took your dog there and had a great learning experience with them

flyndog

Dogs Made Easy!
I tried to edit my previous post, but as usual the page had expired when I hit the submit reply button. So, as I was going to say, Petsmart/petco trainers have a lot of distrations. There's no consistency in the trainers. Some are good, some are bad. It's not an easy environment for dogs to learn.
The point of group classes is for you to learn how to train your dog. If money is an issue, just enroll one dog in class. Then teach what you learn to both dogs. As far as choosing a trainer, you should be able to decide quickly over the phone and with one observation if the trainer is for you. I certainly would not let somebody observe my classes "as long as they wanted", though.
Kit

pitbulliest

Choose a trainer that works with positive reinforcements..such as treats or clicker training...praising..all that. Some trainers use the official "jerk the collar" method. Although I use it on my dogs sometimes when they're really misbehaving..I think its pointless to go to a trainer like that, because to me it speaks of an impatient person (when I jerk, its because I'm impatient at that time, and my dogs are acting dumb! lol..but its not really a good thing to do lol)...

Also make sure you choose a place that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I would say the max price you should be paying is 110 dollars..and that's MAX for a six week course twice a week I believe. Also make sure there are no more than 8-10 dogs present at the same time. You don't want to be shoved into a small room with 20 dogs because someone needs the extra money.

Just keep looking around and see what the best deal for you is :) good luck.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
Flyndog,
why would you not let some one observe a class for as long as they want what is there to hide???
As far as I am concerned you should be able to watch any class as long as you want inorder to feel secure with the trainer as long as you sit and watch and don't butt in my dogs and I regularly attend obidience classes that we are not participating in ecspecially if they are fosters in my home it helps to socialize them (the fosters) and my trainer does not mind

Actually, I understand Flyndog's reticence to allow someone unlimited observation. There are too many people out there who take advantage; sitting through sessions then going home and using the knowledge and techniques they've stolen on their own - or even giving their own classes and charging for them, undercutting the original trainer's price, claiming to have been "trained" by the reputable trainer, giving sub-par results and further damaging the original trainer.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I do the same I have enough training to train my own dogs in basice obidience but we also compete in obidience and agility and travel to other states and it helps if you have a second opinion
I also agree that no one could learn to train in just one class and as for not sitting in it seems to me that it would be more difficult to "steal" a trainers teqniques because it isn't just the way you train it also takes a knowledge of dogs that takes years to gain

No, sitting in on one class wouldn't do it, but there are people out there who will sit in on half a course or more and pull that kind of stunt. I've seen them do it. You've got to remember that these people don't really care if they get good results - just the check for the course that first week.

Bless you all. You're good, decent, honorable dog people and it would never occur to you that there are creeps out there who would deliberately take advantage of novice dog owners just trying to do the right thing. If this tells you anything, I've seen some of them being pushed by pet stores, flyers displayed prominently, clerks referring, etc. I'm kind of nasty with pet stores. Every now and again I'll cruise through one, curl my nose up at the poor quality pet food they carry, point out the unsafe toys, the wire floors on the cages with no place for the animals to lay down . . . they really learn to hate me . . . (evil laugh!)

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I agree and I too think that petstores are a nasty place and that is why I suggested staying away from petsmart or petco because these trainers are hurried through a course on dog training and then try to train other peoples dogs the fact is that sure thare may be one or two who go through petsmart or petco to train are down to earth good trainers but the majortity are just jo shmoes off of the street and don't know squat about training a dog
As for sitting in on obidience classes yes I know that there would be some a** who trys to sit in on the classes and then start there own training classses probably charging a higher fee and only making the dog worse than it originally was and that is why I suggested researching mulitple trainers and asking for references and watching some classes before going to them for training

Members online

No members online now.