Need help with new puppy

Dlady1984

So I have a 9 week old puppy we have and her for a week and are having problems with biting and crying. Anytime she wants to play she will bite my hands,feet, nose,ears,cloths of any kind I have tried the crying out lou d when she bits to hard and sh just ignores it we have all kinds of different toys for her to play with but she will sometimes ignore them just so she can try to bite my feet or hands. The other problem is if I try to put her in her playpen or leave her alone she will just cry and cry at first she cried a lot when I first brought her home then she stopped and was calm for a couple of days now she cries again if I try to leave her alone for any amount of time. Can anyone give some tips on how to stop the biting and and be more ok with being alone. Also she sleeps all night and does not cry.

Maxy24

For the biting:

When she nips, not only yelp but also get up and turn your back on her and ignore her. If she'll continue tugging on your clothes you may need to figure out a different way to get away from her. When Tucker was a puppy and he'd nip we'd stand on the couch so he couldn't get to us. You could also step out of room over a gate so she can't keep biting but you can still keep an eye on her. Once she calms down reengage with her using a toy. As long as she's biting at the toy keep playing, but as soon as she bites you, yelp, stop playing, and ignore her again. If she refuses to use the toys and insists on biting you it might be time for her to spend some alone time in a crate or playpen to calm down. Make sure there are toys and chewies in there for her.

It may also be helpful to train her to go pick up a toy on command or when you point to it. That way when you see her starting to get rambunctious you can remind her to put something in her mouth so that you'll play with her.

Make sure she actually likes the toys you have! Every dog is different with what they want to play with. Also make sure you know how to play and engage her with the toys. Simply holding a toy out or tossing it on the floor is not likely to attract her, really wiggle it around on ground and tease her a little (as long as she's not skittish) to grab her attention. She needs a reason to go for that rather than for people, and people are really fun because they tend to push at her and move away quickly which is fun for a dog.

I'm not much help for the crying when alone. I think most people just ignore the pup and eventually she will adjust. You can provide edible chews as long as she won't eat the whole thing or choke on any of it or put stuffed toys like Kongs filled with food (frozen will last longer). Sometimes adding some sort of white noise (leaving a radio or TV on) can help. Other people may have more suggestions, I never really got Tucker to the point where he was comfortable being alone in a crate.

Members online

No members online now.