Pit Boss

JacksonsMom

LOL, is this show a joke?

I can't help but watch. I've tuned into some episodes since it came out.

But it's SO... fake.

I don't even understand. Is Shortywood even a real talent agency?

watching right now (a little behind) and Shorty just fell off an ATV... lol, it looked SO beyond fake. Like they'd really have these 3 little people riding ATV's trying to find a loose pittie.

I used to watch it then an episode aired where that little asshat fed his 'service dog' some food from the table at a restaurant and I never turned on another episode. It's people like that that ruin service dog rights.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
He has a "service dog?" I never knew that. I've never seen pictures of him with a "service dog." As someone with a Service Dog in training, people with fake service dogs really get under my skin.

I've always disliked the idea of them having so many Pit Bulls and related breeds in their care. How are they supposed to break up a fight should one occur? Many of the dogs they rescue outweigh them. It seems more like a publicity thing than a helping dogs thing.

It took 4 refreshes in reCaptcha to create this post.

ETA: Found this on Animal Planet's bio of Shorty:
"After injuring himself in a stunt, Shorty became interested in service animal training. He trained one of his own pit bulls to be a service animal, and he actively has been involved in the Americans with Disabilities Act community ever since. Currently, two of Shorty's dogs are registered service animals, with one in training."

There is no nationally recognized service dog registry, so there is really no such thing as a "registered" service dog unless you are registered with a fake online registry. If he was really "involved in the Americans with Disabilities Act community," he would know this...

Is it really a big deal to slip food to your dog from the table if it's a service dog? I didn't know that... I slip Jackson food when he goes to outdoor restaurants with me, lol. But obviously not a service dog.
Yes. It is extremely unprofessional to feed a service dog from the table at a restaurant.

JacksonsMom

Shorty? Yeah, his dog Hercules is his service dog. It seems legitimate to me though? That dog goes everywhere with him. He's got real back problems, etc, and obviously is at a disadvantage to some things being a little person. And Hercules seems super chill and really well trained, etc. Is it really a big deal to slip food to your dog from the table if it's a service dog? I didn't know that... I slip Jackson food when he goes to outdoor restaurants with me, lol. But obviously not a service dog.

thehoundgirl

That guy seriously is nuts IMO. We don't get animal planet any more but.. yeah. He has a bad temper too. :rolleyes:

Tahla9999

Yeah, I actually like this show, more for the drama than anything else. Yes, the dog rescues are fake, but the talent agency is more than likely real. I believe they do raise money to send to rescues though.

Maxy24

I used to watch it but didn't like how he makes it seem like pit bulls are super dog friendly, he sleeps with multiple pit bulls on his bed, it just felt like false info. The main reason i stopped was that they seemed to be blatantly breaking the law when they took people's dogs.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I used to watch it but didn't like how he makes it seem like pit bulls are super dog friendly, he sleeps with multiple pit bulls on his bed, it just felt like false info
This is an issue I end up having with so many shows like this involving these breeds. Millan is guilty of it too with portraying APBTs as these calm,
introverted Clumber Spaniel-type dogs that are so misunderstood but really should never give you problems.

I see what they're trying to do, but it is still detrimental to the breed. In some ways, it's worse for them than what the other side does.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Shorty? Yeah, his dog Hercules is his service dog. It seems legitimate to me though? That dog goes everywhere with him. He's got real back problems, etc, and obviously is at a disadvantage to some things being a little person. And Hercules seems super chill and really well trained, etc. Is it really a big deal to slip food to your dog from the table if it's a service dog? I didn't know that... I slip Jackson food when he goes to outdoor restaurants with me, lol. But obviously not a service dog.
I did a bit more research on this, asked people on the service dog forum I am on and, while it does seem he may have a real need for a service dog, either he's a faker or just a terrible handler. Here are a few reasons:

First, in his bio on the AP page it says that he is "involved in the Americans with Disabilities Act community." The ADA is a law, there is no "ADA community." There is disability community, there is a service dog community, there is a community of Americans with disabilities, but there is no Americans with Disabilities Act community. And, from what I have heard from the service dog forum I am on, he doesn't seem to be involved in any of the aforementioned communities and he seems to have little grasp of how the ADA works!

Second, He claims his dogs are "registered." There is no national registry or certification for Service Dogs. Therefore, if the dogs in fact are "registered," they are registered with a fake online registry. The only people who register with such registries are people who don't know any better, or people who are faking and want to seem legitimate.

Third, Shorty seems to constantly allow Hercules to sit in the seat next to him on trains, in planes and in other situations when it is not appropriate for him to be seated there. A service dog should be seated on the floor at your feet or under the seat in such situations.

Most disturbing, however, is this picture where he is seated in the booth at a restaurant!! In addition to being unprofessional, that is highly unsanitary!

Fourth, he is fed table scraps and appears to beg for them. In this picture he is about to be fed an entire meatball in an Italian restaurant. The caption on the photo is, "Hércules is getting ready for his meatball at Villa Italia."

He does all of these things in the public eye, which makes service dog teams look bad and teaches people incorrect information about service dog etiquette. Even if Hercules is a legitimate service dog, Shorty is a poor handler.

It took 6 refreshes in reCaptcha to make this post.

I watch it when I'm home and it's on, but it is so over the top that I just can't handle it sometimes. The last episode I saw was one where these photographers wanted to put ketchup all over the dog's face to make him look vicious and Shorty was outside on a phone call or something.

As a side note, if there is no registry for service dogs, what protects people with legitimate service animals? I always assumed you needed a doctor's note or something.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
So who writes these service dog rules that say a dog can't sit where you want it to, or eat what you give it?

Just out of curiosity? I assume there's a regulatory body saying things must be like that?

Otherwise.... why does anyone care? As long as the dog is doing it's job, friendly and no one around you minds?

From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the USA no one can ask for proof of legitimacy of service animals, and none has to be displayed. Other countries have different rules.

The job of a service dog is to assist its owner in tasks they need help with to lead as normal a life as possible, in order to do that the dog needs to have access that pets do not, thus they need to learn that they do not put their noses in the meat at the super market, they need to lay under tables at restaurants and be quiet and respectful, this training is what has allowed service dogs access to public places. It's 'handlers' like Shorty who make it hard for those with properly trained service animals.

If I were in a restaurant and saw that I would question the legitimacy of the service animal, it's unprofessional.

People that bring their pets to grocery stores and malls make me nuts as well, for the record, leave fluffy at home when you go to La Senza to buy bras, she doesn't care, take her when you are going to the pet store. It makes me wish I had Gage, 170lbs, with me so I could question why their little dog is allowed, lol.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I don't think I've ever watched the show before, however, Shorty deRossi was on Andersen and I really enjoyed what he had to say about the breed. They also had a couple whose adopted pitbull is a service dog talk from the audience. The last ten minutes of the episode was about the breed and the various misconceptions, including that the owners are the problem, not the dog.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The job of a service dog is to assist its owner in tasks they need help with to lead as normal a life as possible, in order to do that the dog needs to have access that pets do not, thus they need to learn that they do not put their noses in the meat at the super market, they need to lay under tables at restaurants and be quiet and respectful, this training is what has allowed service dogs access to public places. It's 'handlers' like Shorty who make it hard for those with properly trained service animals.

If I were in a restaurant and saw that I would question the legitimacy of the service animal, it's unprofessional.

People that bring their pets to grocery stores and malls make me nuts as well, for the record, leave fluffy at home when you go to La Senza to buy bras, she doesn't care, take her when you are going to the pet store. It makes me wish I had Gage, 170lbs, with me so I could question why their little dog is allowed, lol.
Well I find it bizarre any Tom dick or Harry can train a dog, give it a vest and call it a service dog. If people want rules and regulations, then they need to regulate what is and isn't a service dog.

Otherwise, I can't see how anyone can comment on what a person chooses to do with theirs, as there are no rules.

I think handing a dog food from a table is slightly different to a dog nosing food counters, and sitting on a plane next to a person is perfectly acceptable if the airline allows it, seeing as its their rules.

If there are no regulations, you can't exactly complain.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
There is no certification or registry. In order to have a service dog, however, you need to have a documented disability and the dog needs to perform tasks which help mitigate that disability. In some situations, such as flying in a plane, or living in no-pets housing, a doctor's note is required.

The Department of Justice handles cases of fraud and it is illegal to claim your dog is a service dog, if it isn't.

There ARE laws regarding service dogs, just no national registry.

Service Dogs are legally defined as "dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities." It also says right in the ADA that "Service animals are working animals, not pets." How do you expect people to take your working dog seriously if you feed your dog table scraps and let him sit next to you at a restaurant? And how on earth do you not see how unsanitary it is for a dog to be seated at the table?

The dog also may not alter the environment that it is in. By sitting in a train seat or airlplane seat, the dog is taking that seat from someone else, and, because you are not allowed to charge people with disabilities extra because they requre a SD, that means lost revenue for the business. That is altering their environment.

For more information about SDs:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/

Just a note: Service Dogs do not have rights, the disabled handlers who require service dogs to help them lead a normal life do. The ADA was created to protect people with disabilities. Anyone who says something like "My dog has a right to be here," is either a faker or someone who doesn't know the law well. When someone handles their dog poorly, it threatens the rights of all of us who require service dogs. "Shorty" handles his dog poorly in public.

This message took 9 refreshes of reCaptcha to post.

crazedACD

I'm nervous to post this, but I really do not believe someone of his means should have dogs of that size, and multiple dogs of that size as well living together. Taking the dogs out in public, doing therapy work I think...I believe someone needs to be able to control their animals in the case of any event. I hold the same belief for seniors, children, etc...you need to be able to control your dogs (ESPECIALLY if you are taking them out in public).

In the first season a dog got away from them and I stopped watching, really.

There is no certification or registry. In order to have a service dog, however, you need to have a documented disability and the dog needs to perform tasks which help mitigate that disability. In some situations, such as flying in a plane, or living in no-pets housing, a doctor's note is required.

The Department of Justice handles cases of fraud and it is illegal to claim your dog is a service dog, if it isn't.

There ARE laws regarding service dogs, just no national registry.

Service Dogs are legally defined as "dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities." It also says right in the ADA that "Service animals are working animals, not pets." How do you expect people to take your working dog seriously if you feed your dog table scraps and let him sit next to you at a restaurant? And how on earth do you not see how unsanitary it is for a dog to be seated at the table?

The dog also may not alter the environment that it is in. By sitting in a train seat or airlplane seat, the dog is taking that seat from someone else, and, because you are not allowed to charge people with disabilities extra because they requre a SD, that means lost revenue for the business. That is altering their environment.

For more information about SDs:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/

Just a note: Service Dogs do not have rights, the disabled handlers who require service dogs to help them lead a normal life do. The ADA was created to protect people with disabilities. Anyone who says something like "My dog has a right to be here," is either a faker or someone who doesn't know the law well. When someone handles their dog poorly, it threatens the rights of all of us who require service dogs. "Shorty" handles his dog poorly in public.

This message took 9 refreshes of reCaptcha to post.
Thank you for explaining that to me more clearly, I know some countries you have to have id for the dog and have it displayed at all times the dog is working.

Brattina88

The bedskor x 3

I'm nervous to post this, but I really do not believe someone of his means should have dogs of that size, and multiple dogs of that size as well living together. Taking the dogs out in public, doing therapy work I think...I believe someone needs to be able to control their animals in the case of any event. I hold the same belief for seniors, children, etc...you need to be able to control your dogs (ESPECIALLY if you are taking them out in public).

In the first season a dog got away from them and I stopped watching, really.

While I don't like the show, and several things about the show and agree with you on that aspect... I have to respectfully disagree with the generalizations ;) unless of course I misunderstood your statement 'a man of his means'

I walk and train with several dogs that out weigh me, and are MUCH stronger than I am in size, but that's not to say I can't handle them. I believe I saw the episode your talking about, and I agree with you - if dogs get loose in their care they're obviously not under control... but I disagree with the generalization of little people having 'that breed' and I so think they have the breeds best interests at heart at the end of the day. And I do think the episodes are totally staged.
And also seniors or even children, I have an 80 woman who manages her dog much better than my 30 year old neighbor :rofl1: eeee gads :eek: and also the 4H children at our training center are just mind boggling with what they can do :D and one of them is around 6 I think :hail:

:D

Members online

No members online now.