What do you do "wrong"?

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
Sleeping in my bed. Lots of people dislike that.

I don't intend to neuter my male until after a year old, at least. Just about everyone I discuss this with hates me for it and goes on the offensive.

I feed raw. Probably my most-hated thing to discuss. This is the one that sometimes gets me called an animal abuser. I used to throw raw out as a recommendation to some people, but I no longer do that. If it comes up, I'll say that I feed it, but unless someone is actually interested, I don't suggest it.

I treat my pets from my plate. I don't kick them out of the room when I'm eating. Never have. If someone else is over and it's an issue, then I'll move them, but when we're just on our own it's fine. Rockefeller, my cat, begs like a dog sometimes, but mostly he's okay. Depends on what's on the menu haha.

A lot of Cesar worshippers have problems with how I treat dogs in general. They think I'm not firm enough and that I'm not 'alpha'. I've pretty much given up on trying to explain the non-existence of 'alpha' or 'pack', based on scientific studies, but they're really into their dominance-trainer god so it's usually in one ear and out the other. My dogs always have been, and always will be, allowed to walk in front of me. :yikes:

noludoru

Bored Now.
Middie is an alert barker in the house. Well, he was with Marley and Sawyer. So far it's been a week and he only barks when the garage opens. I am hoping that continues.

He begs. I hate it.

He gets fed kibble. And I usually don't remember to feed him 2x a day.

The command for sit is "sit. Now, asshole."

Down is "down, all the way, dude."

He jumps on people. I give up. I don't care anymore.

He's banished from the bed and sleeps on the cold, hard floor.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I guess whether I do it wrong depends on who you are asking--lol...

If it's something they can eat, I let them lick plates.

They hump each other for fun, sometimes Jack even humps Sally's head.

I occasionally tether Jack in the front yard when I'm out there.

I generally don't pick up poop if it occurs off the trail in the woods.

When we used to live at the horse barn there was a neighbor that would scream at us for riding the horses by her house. On walks I would strongly encourage Sally to hold her poop until we got to that neighbors yard (sadly, she always insisted on going before then).

I've given up trying to get them to stop eating poop completely, and instead pick my battles and only get stern when it's really gross poop like cat or possum.

I give them people food. Fruit is a huge favorite.

They beg. As long as they are not stealing off my plate, I don't care.

It's far easier to keep food off the counter than to train them to not counter surf.

I don't like Cesar Millan, but I also don't think he's the debil. This seems to annoy two different sets of people.

I don't switch kibbles gradually. Never have.

I use a prong for Jack on occasion.

I was fully prepared to let Solo the parrot bite Sally if she continued to try to steal his food. I was right there supervising, but the message would not have been nearly as powerful if it had come from me. In the end Solo lounged at her, she backed off and all has been well.

They all jump up on me/around me/straight up in the air, and I love it

They not only are allowed on all the furniture, they use the couch as a springboard for vaults over the coffee table. Journey also pushes down the back of the reclining chair and uses at her personal throne for gazing out the window.

They beg. Especially Cricket. And no one can resist her.

I egg them on when they chase small, furry, innocent animals

"When you come home, don't give your dogs any attention until they settle down!"
Yeah right.

I don't switch kibble gradually

I sometimes feed raw and kibble simultaneously

They don't get walked every day

Newton and Journey hump each other quite a lot, and I think it's funny

None of them are altered, though I plan to spay Cricket - both of these things would be considered "wrong" by different people

I dont do anything "wrong" so aslong as what i do works, it cant be wrong. people may be against it, but heck, it works for me lol.

Solo jumps on people like crazy who enter the house. people let him. so I gave up teaching him not to.

neither are "fixed" (hell they were never broken) many would find that wrong. I even gasp let both (including a beagle) offleash to run and play with balls inbetween their legs. None of my friends have their male dogs neutered. sometimes there is 6 (ages 6months to 15 years) all intact and in harmony running off lead in the woods together.

we do dog parks. dog meet ups. ect

when i walk int he door. i yell things like "wheres my puppies" get me a toy omg hihihihihihihi

They beg, OMG do they beg. and they win so aslong as they lay in their beds.

no human food you say, hecks thats prob half their diet.we get them freaking timbits (donut holes what ever you call them) every single day (plain) from tim hortons. they KNOW when we go through a timmies drive through. Its the treat I use with them on walks for coming when called.

Blaze barks like its his air at the door, for a good solid 5 mins. he is 10 years old, if I cant correct it now, I never will lol. so hell go for it blaze, bark till you start coughing.

I say no ALOT. gets me no where half the tme, but hell i say it.

My dogs sleep in beds, couchs, lick plates, tables, chairs the cat ect go for it.

Solo has something he shouldnt. he gets a smack (not a slap, a punch or so on, a light smack) on his ass, you betcha if he tries to steal my food off the plate he is getting a swat lol

My dogs yank me around, so I do yank them back. act like a tree you say? hell with 100lbs worth of dog, and me only being 120lbs a cat is more intresting then the person acting as a tree, so I have to fight this war back with my yanking lol. (they dont always pull, unless they see a animal. otherwise they walk decent, not loose leached, but decent)

TBH my dogs are far from perfect to some, but are perfect for me. but then again are far better behaved then most peoples. I can take them to public, and hardly have a issue. unless there is a table with food, then solo is on it lol.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
There are (shocking!) confessions in this list of confessions that make me grit my teeth; there are ones that I can't believe people consider confessions, because who doesn't feed their dogs people food?
Just to clarify, I consider the setting in my food-giving example to be the "bad" part, not the food-giving itself. It's healthy food, no biggie there. I'm just usually pretty disciplined about when I give food and how, but seem to regularly slip up while cooking and just periodically toss bits of this and that.

That said I'm pretty disciplined in general. Which isn't to say we're perfect because we are certainly not but, I guess I think we do pretty well in terms of rules and consistency. Well enough that other people seem to send their dogs to live with us...maybe I should develop some bad habits :p

Picklepaige

The biggest I can think of is I really don't care about house manners. Maggie's are fine, but she's just a naturally well-behaved dog. I'm sure when I finally get my puppy, I will never have visitors, because he will be using my house as a parkour field, jumping, barking, and being overall naughty. It just doesn't bother me.

Katem

Preeety sure that's mustard on her muzzle. If I have the dogs out at parties like that I usually give up on the whole "don't feed my dogs" thing at some point.

I was going to upload some video of the dogs playing in the house with a giant jolly ball, but I'm lazy. The video opens with Pig jumping onto the dining room table to grab said jolly ball.

Most of everyone else's "wrongs" take place over here as well;
There have been times that the dogs had meatcicles or skipped a meal because I forgot to defrost something.

When I do feed kibble, I almost always switch after every bag and it's never a gradual change.

The dogs hardly ever have id on them. Pig is chipped, but up until I got collars from GDS recently, the only tag she had was on a puppy collar and it had my parent's SC address from when we visited them.

They hardly ever go for neighborhood walks. Bear can do 15-30mins before he'll be gimpy the next day and Pig only gets amped up from a regular leashed walk.

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
Yeah, pretty sure those aren't "wrong' by Chazzer standards ;)
Nope. But unfortunately, most of the world isn't like Chazzers! Off of Chaz, I'd say about 90% of people have issues with both of these things, to the point of turning it into an argument instead of a discussion. They will adamantly ignore studies, as well. Just gotta shrug it off I guess.

I really have faith that, at least on the issue of raw feeding, things are going to be very different in a few years regarding what people think about this. More people are catching on that it is weird to preach natural, well-balanced diets with raw ingredients when it comes to humans, and not when it comes to the animals in our care. You wouldn't eat at McDonalds everyday and call yourself healthy and balanced just because you religiously take your vitamins, and you should do the same for your pets!
This is my hope, anyway. Makes me feel better to believe that than the alternative.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I mix kibble and raw in the same meal sometimes.
I feed people food leftovers.
Both mine are on a prong when we go out most of the time now. Didn't think that was something I'd ever use but I appreciate my prongs so much.
Will likely work Quinn on an e-collar at one point aswell.
I will often put my plate down after a meal for them to lick clean, saves me rinsing it.
Don't get walked everyday.
Quinn hits me so hard in the stomach sometimes when she's excited she knocks the air out of me. I love it.
She thinks the most love to give is to put her arms around your neck and get her tongue inside your moouth/ears or under your eyelids. Doesn't bother me. I don't want her jumping up on people that don't invite it but when they kneel down and roughouse with her they shouldn't be surprised when they end up with a blood lip.

This thread is the perfect example of why I love chaz and why I'm still here after so many years.
Everyone can have different opinions and "break the rules" and everyone still manages to act like adults about it. There should be an award forums can win for this stuff.

Last edited:

jenv101

Bite Club
We use prong collars and do correct when we know they know the commands or when they are obnoxious on walks. I say NO and NOW a lot these days.

Lately with a new baby there has been very little training and we've just been letting them burn off energy in the yard with each other. Sometimes we get a ball session in if the weather cooperates. Definitely wrong things to do with mals but everyone is surviving and not going too crazy lol. Hopefully we will get back to training and class soon.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I have to add more that came to my mind.

One time I was hanging out with Jacksonsmom. She had Jackson and I had Cricket and Joey and we went on a hike. I tend to use the green poop bags that are supposed to be more earth friendly and do pick up my dogs poop, but didn't want to try to carry a bag of poop and manage two pulling dogs (mainly Joey because Cricket isn't too bad anymore) so I chucked the bag of poop into the nearby bushes.

Come to think of it I think I did that on a separate walk that redhotdobe was there for not too long ago too.

Don't know if I included this one or not, but Joey barks CONSTANTLY when he is playing. I used to try and stop him every time, but now I give up and allow him to bark like a crazy. Only time I shush him is if I think it might bother the landlord.

I don't have Bamm wear a muzzle out in public 24/7. I used to because he has bitten before, but the biggest reason he wore a muzzle after that was because we lived in an apartment community and you never know when someone is going to walk by you. I hate having him wear the muzzle because he doesn't enjoy his walks at all with it on and I don't feel like that is much of a life for him. Is it a risk? Sure it is. We hardly run into people where we live now though and at my work he knows everyone so I don't worry much about it. I do have to be more aware of our surroundings though, but I know some people would cringe at the idea of me walking him without a muzzle.

I pick up poop at my house maybe once a week if I feel like it. I used to be adamant about picking up poop, but my landlords dogs poop wherever and they don't worry about it so I don't worry about it until I think I need to do a poop scoop day. That said I don't let my dogs poop in the front yard at all, just the back yard and in the woods.
I don't always find out if water is safe to swim in before allowing my dogs to jump in.

My dogs are not always restrained in the car. Cricket has a cat harness set up. Bamm rides loose though I am planning to get him one too. They both ride in the back seat. Joey rides in the trunk loose because otherwise he bothers me while I drive. I should clarify I drive a small suv so the trunk is really a space with a hatch door. I would crate him except my car curves in the back making it really hard to fit a crate back there that is big enough for him.

I scruff my dogs. I'm not usually mean and rough about it though, but I know some people would freak about people grabbing a dog by the scruff. I randomly grab their scruffs and reward them with treats though so my dogs don't mind it.

I rarely brush their teeth. Joey won't let me. Cricket doesn't like it and it takes two people to brush her teeth. Bamm surprisingly enjoys it and his teeth are the worst. They have plenty of bones and antlers to chew and I do add a dental additive to their water, but fail at brushing teeth even though I prefer them have straight white clean teeth.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Cara has no concept of all four on the floor. Oops. If she's meeting someone who will take exception to it I keep her on a leash and she has a solid sit/stay so *shrugs*

I encourage her to climb in my lap.

She used to be good at LLW, now? She's not on leash enough for me to worry about it.

I never slowly switch foods, we've never had a problem.

I threaten to punch her in the face all the time, she loves it. :lol-sign:

There's probably more that I'm not remembering right now.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Just to clarify, I consider the setting in my food-giving example to be the "bad" part, not the food-giving itself. It's healthy food, no biggie there. I'm just usually pretty disciplined about when I give food and how, but seem to regularly slip up while cooking and just periodically toss bits of this and that.

That said I'm pretty disciplined in general. Which isn't to say we're perfect because we are certainly not but, I guess I think we do pretty well in terms of rules and consistency. Well enough that other people seem to send their dogs to live with us...maybe I should develop some bad habits :p
I always feed my dog only healthy food...which is why Summer's favorite food is chow mein.

Airn

This thread makes me feel better.

I do several of these things.

At first I said "We are NOT letting Gwen have 'people food'!" But she's cute and I don't like crusts. I also feed her meat from time to time. We had like a pound of ground beef that was about to go bad, so I froze it and let her gnaw on it for a while. (This has resulted in a horrible habit, though. And I still regret feeding her any scraps. She now has a fascination with oranges, although she doesn't try to eat them :confused:)

I don't really teach her leash manners. She acts like I think a dog should on the leash. She is improving, but I allow her to smell often. I won't let SO walk her because he gets so frustrated with her. And then that makes ME mad, so it's better if I just pretend to teach her :rofl1:

We will go on more walks once we move (TODAY) but living out in the 'country', I usually pet her on her tie out or sometimes even let her roam around.

That's another thing. My dog occasionally roams the neighborhood. Before we got the tie out, she pretty much always would. I'm lazy and don't feel like walking up and down hills at 7 am. Plus, her buddies roam and she enjoys playing with the new puppy.

She is allowed on couches, chairs and beds. Encouraged to be in laps or snuggle. Although when we say "Bed time!" she goes to her bed beside our's. (The crate's in a separate room and, while she doesn't dislike the crate, I don't think we taught her it's her 'safe place'. Plus, she has this adorable pink and black dog bed!)

I don't restrain her in my car. She lays or sits down. I also have the windows about halfway down for her. She's never attempted to jump out, so I didn't think it was a big deal.

I yell at her constantly. "Gwennnnnnn!" "You KNOW you're not supposed to do that" "OMG SHUT UP GWEN!"

I treat her like I would a child. Obviously I would try not to yell at my child but I doubt I'll be able to do that for 18+ years. Mother's are not perfect and it's certainly hard to 'practice what you preach'. I think telling yourself (or someone else) that you will NEVER 'punish' your dog is a bit far fetched. You'll NEVER say no? And I don't think me saying a few no's to Gwen will scar her. She knows I love her :) (I think it's a great idea to try not to do that, but still, no's will happen.)

To be honest, most of what we are saying we do 'wrong' is, obviously, perfectly normal and not viewed by 'wrong' to MOST dog owners. It's nice to see that even people I look up to as super duper dog owners/trainers, still have REAL dogs.

JacksonsMom

I have to add more that came to my mind.

One time I was hanging out with Jacksonsmom. She had Jackson and I had Cricket and Joey and we went on a hike. I tend to use the green poop bags that are supposed to be more earth friendly and do pick up my dogs poop, but didn't want to try to carry a bag of poop and manage two pulling dogs (mainly Joey because Cricket isn't too bad anymore) so I chucked the bag of poop into the nearby bushes.

I pick up poop at my house maybe once a week if I feel like it. I used to be adamant about picking up poop, but my landlords dogs poop wherever and they don't worry about it so I don't worry about it until I think I need to do a poop scoop day. That said I don't let my dogs poop in the front yard at all, just the back yard and in the woods.
I don't always find out if water is safe to swim in before allowing my dogs to jump in.

My dogs are not always restrained in the car. Cricket has a cat harness set up. Bamm rides loose though I am planning to get him one too. They both ride in the back seat. Joey rides in the trunk loose because otherwise he bothers me while I drive. I should clarify I drive a small suv so the trunk is really a space with a hatch door. I would crate him except my car curves in the back making it really hard to fit a crate back there that is big enough for him.
Guilty of these!

There's some trails we walk on where there are NO trash cans for miles. I'm not holding on to my dog's crap for that long. And I usually only pick up the first poop anyway because he'll usually do one or two more loose ones on a long hike that are not really even 'pick-up-able' so I'll just cover them with leaves.

I never pick up poop at my house but we live on 3 acres with a ton of farmland behind us. There's no point. It gets run over with the lawnmower. :rofl1:

I'm also bad about strapping him in. I have a Snoozer carseat that he loves to sit in and I never let him sit in the front or on my lap, but honestly, sometimes buckling him is more of a risk for me because he always gets tangled or stuck somehow and then is whining and hurt and I'm trying to untangle him while I drive and just... it doesn't work out for us.

I thought of another: I no longer think Science Diet, Royal Canin, etc, is the devil. Oh the horror. Foods that I used to think were 'THE BEST' is no longer in my eyes. I've read far too much about these small holistic companies to have any more faith in them than I do a company like Royal Canin. In fact, I think RC is probably one of the most trustworthy ones out there and have put forth a ton of research that most holistic companies won't take the time or put money into to do. A lot of these formulas were simply bought somewhere with no certified nutritionist, no testing, no feeding trials, etc. Basically all marketing. With that said, I still feed what most people on forums would consider to be a good food, but I have changed my thought process and turned it around 360. I used to somewhat judge people who were feeding their dogs these foods, and now I just don't really care. I've seen gorgeous healthy dogs on Purina and I've seen gorgeous healthy dogs on Acana. I've also seen terrible looking dogs on Orijen and terrible looking dogs on SD. I think genetics come into play more than food.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Oh... Yeah, I don't always pick up. Contrary to the little form they make you sign for the CGC, LOL. Actually, I'm pretty aware of it being gross, and if the dogs poop like... near the sidewalk, or in front of somebody's house and I don't have a bag, I feel really, really bad, and will try to find something to pick it up with.

But at the park or forest preserves... honestly? My dogs' poop breaks down and turns into dust within days. Their poop is no different than the coyote poop you occasionally see. It's far worse for the environment for me to buy and use little plastic bags and send them to the dump.

Members online

No members online now.