people that raw feed tgeir cat(s)..

JessLough

Love My Mutt
How difficult is it to make sure they are getting balanced meals and such?

I'll be just buying everything from the Asian market...

Maxy24

It becomes difficult if the cat won't eat something that it needs, like liver. Making cats eat something they don't like requires a lot of work. Otherwise it's not difficult, just the 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organ. Bones are limited to the smaller parts of chicken wings and cornish hen bones, unless you can find small unique bones elsewhere.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
How difficult is it to make sure they are getting balanced meals and such?

I'll be just buying everything from the Asian market...
I don't find it difficult, especially since Whiskey eats everything! Well, except beef.

Biggest issue is taurine. I just make sure he eats a bunch of hearts and chicken thighs, which have more taurine than like, breasts.

Lots and lots of boneless meats, bone-in meals (cornish game hen bones) twice a week, liver/kidney twice a week. We rotate through chicken, turkey, pork, and hopefully soon I will have a bunch of whitefish coming from a friend.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
thanks guys!

I'm thinking of putting the ferrets back on at least partial raw, which is basically feeding a really small cat :p

Then again, I was going to go to the asian grocery store, but it's been -41 out the last few days so I haven't left the house :lol-sign:

SaraB

Not hard at all! As long as you can find hearts or other sources rich in taurine.

I panicked a bit a month or so ago because my heart supplier ran out of heart and I was freaking out because I didn't want blind cats. So now, I just bounce back and forth between raw and kibble because I'm uber-paranoid about balancing out their meals. Once I have heart back, I'll go exclusive with raw again.

ETA: One of my cats is finicky about trying new things, all I have to do with her though is slather a little canned food onto it and she gobbles it right up. Then just wean away the canned food and she'll it whatever it was plain.

Locke

I have nothing to add to this thread other than I keep reading the title as "People that raw feed tiger cats"

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have nothing to add to this thread other than I keep reading the title as "People that raw feed tiger cats"
I concentrated so hard to make sure I speeled the title right, and still failed. LOL

ETA: I'm just gonna leave the error there to prove a point.

I always had my ferrets on raw, very easy more so if you dont mind adding mice/rats to their diet. Switching over may be a problem but my girls pretty much took to everything other then turkey.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
raw is a game of "balance over time" i would not suppliment with taurine pills or powder as most of it wont get absorbed anyway. better to just make sure they are getting as much dark meat and heart as they desire. this is an instance where whole prey model is not only ridiculously easy, its probably cheaper. try to find a reptile food supplier and see if they will supply chicks, mice, rats, quail, etc. give whole (or pluck if your feline is picky) and viola! correct ratio of meat, organ, bone, etc.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I always had my ferrets on raw, very easy more so if you dont mind adding mice/rats to their diet. Switching over may be a problem but my girls pretty much took to everything other then turkey.
Yah they used to be on raw, until I took in a ferret that is very allergic to meat ;)

Prey model ain't happening. I'll put that out there right now. I

Members online