Trail Etiquette

So this popped into my head while on my bike ride today, about half the people I pass while biking refuse to make eye contact, smile or anything when you pass them (going in opposite directions) and I was curious what everyone on here does.

So, when you're out walking/biking/running/hiking and pass someone do you make eye contact? Smile? Say hello (or any variation there of)? What do most people you pass do?

BostonBanker

I usually get out my phone and set it to camera so I can snap their picture if they decide to kill me. At which point I will throw the camera into the brush and hope they use GPS to find the phone, and see a picture of my killers and bring them to justice.

But I hike some pretty backwoods trails and my mind tends to wander down odd paths on the rare occasion that I see someone else.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I typically pretend people don't exisit, because I'm shy and don't like interacting with strangers. I may make eye contact and smile, but I won't say hello or anything unless someone else says something first.

People don't normally do more than make eye contact\smile to me, either, as they're either in a hurry passing or we're trying to pass them with the dogs as quickly as possible.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Eye contact and lip only smile.

Mostly just to be polite..and also get a look at their faces in case I need to describe them to the police lol

milos_mommy

I always smile and try to make eye contact, and if the other person appears friendly, I'll say hi or hello. The majority of people here do the same, but if they avoid eye contact or something, I assume they're shy, not rude.

This is Minnesota. Nobody makes eye contact lol.

It mostly depends on my mood. I'll smile if I'm paying attention and I happen to make eye contact with someone, but a lot of times I'm lost in my own little world.

xpaeanx

Hmmm..... I pretty much hike the Appalachian and various white mountain trails, but one of my favorite parts of hiking is how friendly everyone is. I've had some awesome and memorable conversations out on the trail. I love when I'm hiking the same long trail as someone and we go back & forth passing each other up the mountain, only to meet at the peak. HaHa. I've met people from all over, it's awesome. :)

I also like talking to people going in the opposite direction as me as we're able to share trail information(weather, great views worth leaving the trail for, things to watch out for, etc). At a very min I give a smile and a head nod.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
We have a major bike path system running throughout the city, which I frequently use, and used with Rosey. In general, people smile, and at least say hi. Frequently, they'll say hi, comment on the weather, and wish you a good day (or comment on pet, if you have it with you)

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat

Mostly just to be polite..and also get a look at their faces in case I need to describe them to the police lol
This ^ lol

Actually, on Friday I went out to test out the Canicross kit - so the dogs were leashed (holiday Friday at noon figured it's for the best anyways as there would be people on the trail).

I encountered 2 other hikers who were going the opposite way of me - which by the way was the wrong way for hikers). I made eye contacts and smiled, yet I was met with a scowl both times as their dogs were off-lead and they had to call them back I guess :shrug:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Eye contact, smile, hi. Sometimes chat. Unless I'm running, in which case no words usually.

I asked because I always find it SO weird when people avoid eye contact or don't even smile/nod their head. Those people I make sure I smile extra big and add in a "Hello!"

xpaeanx

I've never encountered a one way trail before. Weird.

Be happy they actually leashed their dogs. I have yet to pass someone who leashes their dog. It was a constant battle with Walsh. I'm glad he was small... I couldn't imagine if I had a large DA dog.

Just last week I was circled by 2 large (~200lb off leash dogs), they people didn't even bat an eyelash to call their dogs off me. Glad I'm not afraid of dogs and didn't have a DA dog... That would have ended badly. And that was after being bombarded by several other med size dogs that weren't leashed either. /sigh.

BostonBanker

That's pretty much my SOP in the neighborhood and on the bike paths. In the woods - I'm just weirded out more easily by people. I mean, if they are out with their dogs, fine, "Hi, how's it going". When you are hiking 2 miles off the main trail, basically struggling through brush on a not-quite-a-trail and there is one man walking along behind you with no dogs or anything...sometimes I even call someone and chat on the phone so they will overhear if the person stabs me.

Toller_08

I usually smile. Sometimes I say hello, but usually the other person beats me to it. So it's often a quick hello and a smile and we carry on.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I've never encountered a one way trail before. Weird.
Ours isn't a specifically one-way trail. It's supposed to be one way for hikers and the opposite for cyclists, to avoid cyclists speeding up behind people and catching them off guard and stuff.

k9krazee

I almost always smile, say "Hello!" and "Good morning!" etc.

I didn't use to-- I would smile & nod and move on-- but then I acquired a husband who has to try to befriend everyone and can make (and wants to make) conversation with anyone.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm shy and usually don't acknowledge other people when I'm out walking.
If they say hi, I'll say hi back, but otherwise they don't exist.

Lyzelle

Yeah, I pretty much refuse to acknowledge the presence of another human being. I don't look, speak to, let alone smile to anyone I don't know. Screw southern hospitality. This is NOT THAT PART OF THE COUNTRY. I DON'T WANT TO DIE.

Also I hate being stopped and given 100 questions about Zane.

But mostly I don't want to die. Or get shot. Or raped.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
To be honest, unless it's another runner, it's going to widely vary depending on where I am in my run.
Is it the end of my eight mile long run and you're out for a casual stroll? I may not even look at you.
Is it the end of my eight mile long run and you're a runner? We're going to grimace at each other because YOU KNOW.

Of course early on in my run I'm happy to smile and nod at anybody.

I also made a snarly face at some kids the other day for taking up the whole trail. It's SIX FEET WIDE. MOVE TO ONE SIDE. YOU SEE ME RUNNING UP TO YOU. GET OUT OF MY BLOODY WAY. NEXT TIME I'LL GO LINEBACKER ON YOUR TEN YEAR OLD ASS.

Members online

No members online now.