Living with someone advice/If your SO wanted to live with someone of opposite sex..

Paige

Let it be
You wouldnt have an issue with your husband living with an ex?
If their relationship had progressed just into a friendship nope. I don't consider exes that are now friends different than friends.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I say enjoy the dinner, have a laugh and if you two want to be roommates move in together. I am sure it will be alright once she realizes it is in fact Platonic.

Am I the only one who would not be bothered about a spouse living with a previous sexual partner?
I have to go situation by situation but I would not be comfortable having Denis live with any of his exes for an extended period of time, I trust him with all of my heart but I value our relationship too much to put its strength to any unneeded test. If it can be avoided it will be, living apart for four months was stressful enough, let alone with him living with a gal he'd previously not only had an emotional connection and companionship with but also had sex with.

Old habits are easy to slip back into, I'd just rather not stress my relationship.

I apologize if it seems like I've attacked this guy, Fran. Every relationship is different and I am sure any close friend of yours is fantastic.

In the 10 years I bounced around with roommates I have seen plenty of *good* guys (and girls) do shitty things and treat people like crap (I have done my share as well), it doesn't mean any of them(or us) are bad guys but the actions did reflect outside of the immediate relationships and the choices did weigh heavy on the roommates at times. It's just something to be aware of, I've yet to meet someone who treats their SO without respect and not seen it bubble over into other aspects of their life whether indirectly or not.

Airn

If their relationship had progressed just into a friendship nope. I don't consider exes that are now friends different than friends.
I guess I dont understand why YOU wouldnt be living with your spouse.... Unless youre in the process of getting divorced or something. :confused: (General you)

(Also tablet typing so sorry)

Paige

Let it be
Oh for sure. I am assuming we wouldn't have lived together yet and the relationship didn't have a lot invested yet... I would be a grouch if my spouse was living with me then went to live with anyone else.... but that's not the case here.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I guess I dont understand why YOU wouldnt be living with your spouse.... Unless youre in the process of getting divorced or something. :confused: (General you)
I think she's confusing "significant other" with "spouse."

"Spouse" means your partner in marriage, Paige.

Airn

I think she's confusing "significant other" with "spouse."

"Spouse" means your partner in marriage, Paige.
This would make much more sense. Yes, spouse is your legal partner. You have to be married. (Or commitment ceremony if you cant legally get married.)

Not living with your significant other is a lot different than not living with your spouse. (At least I think so.)

To be honest... as someone who has cheated and been cheated on, I think the mindset of the involved parties and the health of their respective romantic relationships are far more important than the "setup" and how easy or available it makes the opportunity to cheat. Because honestly, unless we spend 100% of our time with our SO/spouse, opportunity is everywhere, all day, every day.

If a particular circumstance makes controlling their actions an insurmountable obstacle for grown adults, then something in either their romantic relationships or their expectations of those relationships needs fixing (or ending). My husband and I have travelled separately with and stayed in hotels with opposite sex friends. It wouldn't ever occur to me to forbid him to do so or be forbidden to do so. The idea of cheating on him is just ludicrous to me.

Having said that... this girl is not me, or Fran, or Adrianne, or Paige, or any of the rest of us and she feels what she feels. If this roommate thing is a done deal with this guy, then all you can do to earn her trust at this point is... be trustworthy. Not only in what you actually do, but be aware of how your words and actions might make her feel even if there is nothing going on.

Grab

Am I the only one who would not be bothered about a spouse living with a previous sexual partner?
No.
But, my husband and I were both friends with/frequently hung out with people we'd dated previously when we met. Neither of us had an issue with it. But we both have zero tolerance for jealous/insecure partners, so we entered into the relationship on that premise. I'll also note that I have, in my younger days, spent many a drunken evening with people I was not in a relationship with and never once did shenanigans happen *shrug*

Different strokes, I suppose:)

Paige

Let it be
Forgive me I am tired! Some how my phone is correcting s/o to spouse lol. Yes that would be a wtf momemt that wouldn't make me too happy. A new relationship I wouldn't be bothered

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Fwiw, I didn't make any references for singular, broken up, events but more over repeated exposure and patterning of companionship (which can then more easily cross a line with the influence of what have you).

I don't think protecting ones relationship with intelligent choices is by any means an act of jealousy nor possessiveness nor an attempt to surgically attach at the hip. We do live in a world of grey areas.

I do agree with different strokes, but please don't presume the alternative to a come what may attitude, should that be your ideal, is an insecure control monster.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
There really isn't as much drama as the people of this thread think there is. It's one issue. I feel like people are imagining something out of an episode of Maury :rofl1:

Wait... Now they are in love? You just said it wasn't serious enough to consult her on every lofe issue like changing cities or female roommates because they'd only been together 4 months.

Are they in LOVE or are they not serious?

I am IN LOVE with Brian, if he jad any reservations I would not be all "well it's happening so I don't care what he thinks". I CARE WHAT HE THINKS ALWAYS because I love him and I know he loves me. Would he force me to do something? No, because he loves me. Would I do something no matter his feelings? NO because I LOVE HIM.

He doesn't love her. There is no way. Not with the way it is phrased here.... "It's happening no matter what"

I mean, you do whatever you need to do but don't be surprised if it becomes a lot of drama. It's already drama and it hasn't even happened yet.

And wasn't it just yesterday you were pretty sure you were moving into a 5 person house? Now this new thing is set in stone already with GF drama? Take some time!!!
'

1. He says he loves her, she says he loves him.. I assume they are in love. I am not a professional on their relationship nor do I assume I know what their love means or if their love is true or what kind of love etc..etc..
Do I think it's true perfect soulmate love? No. They aren't that serious yet from what I have seen and 4 months is not a long time.
The point was, he treats her well, they are dating, they are romantic.

I don't think they are "truly in love" frankly, but they are romantic, is what I meant.

2. Yesterday I was moving into a 5 person house, with a roommate (Aka: Bob).. The reason the house was nixed was because Bob and I both had reservations.
Us living together was, has been, and is, the plan.

Wow this thread blew up... /states the obvious

Anyway, regardless of their relationship, to me the main thing is -- is their relationship going to cause issues with your roommate relationship. If you guys move in and two months later she puts her foot down and says "her or me" are you going to find yourself without a roommate, possibly without housing again?

And while you don't need to answer this question here of course, just something to consider is -- is your boyfriend cool with this (if you are in a place where that sort of thing is a consideration, that is)?

Is there any neutral third you could add to your housing group and try for a 3-bedroom setup to kind of chill everyone (read: his girlfriend) out?

However it all works out, I hope for the best for everyone involved. Especially you, of course :p
My boyfriend is fine with the situation, and he knows the truth, all of it. He had his reservations but we've discussed it.

The ups/downs of their relationship is not going to really have any real effect on our living arrangement. Regardless, we are BOTH signing the lease. He is responsible for 12 months, as am I. So in a distant reality where the Boston housing market isn't a nightmare and she up and decides "Me or her!" and he has the money to pay to break the lease... it would be very much his problem/the problem for the property managers.
I have other friends and Boston is full of students, the room wouldn't be hard to fill.

3 bedrooms are too big..and that means going further outside the city a bit. We haven't seen any that really suit us as it was a possibility.

I say enjoy the dinner, have a laugh and if you two want to be roommates move in together. I am sure it will be alright once she realizes it is in fact Platonic.

I'm also pretty sure the dinner is going to be fine. I mean, I can imagine people thinking there was like this huge dramatic war and now this dinner is happening but I'm sure she'll be fine once I hang out with her..

and if my BF decided to live with an ex I really would not be bothered. They are exes for a reason and he is even friends with one.. they are his past.
Ironically I would probably want to meet the girl as well.

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Honestly if she insists on meeting you I am almost positive she knew you guys had a sexual relationship. Regardless if you were serious or just *$%& buddies that puts you in the "ex-girlfriend" quadrant and while I have no issues with my SO maintaining friendships with ex-girlfriends I would have a SERIOUS issue with him moving in with one, just the two of them (and even more of an issue with him telling me he was doing it and it wasn't even a point of discussion no matter how I felt, but obviously I have issues with men telling their ladies "this is what's happening regardless of your feelings.")

I know you think this won't be drama between the two of you, but it already is and you haven't even moved in yet. He's BRINGING you the drama by showing/reading you her texts - and oh boy, I can't wait until he accidentally brings that up or she somehow finds out by a slip of the tongue in conversation that he's been reading her text messages to you. She really won't like you then.
If you think you won't have to deal with her just because she won't be staying overnight and lives a few cities away, you're kidding yourself, unless you are counting on them breaking up - which by your argument that they are great together doesn't sound like you are.
If she wants to MAKE this a big deal, it can certainly be a big deal.

This needs to be reined in before this blows up even more but THERE REALLY ISN'T THAT MUCH DRAMA. I mean honestly there was more drama over carpet vs hardwood (I won that battle, carpet is ick) He told her he was moving, she expressed reservations and asked to have dinner with me, I freaked out because I don't want to. This is probably 85% on my end. While this is going on she is helping him pick out bed spread and we are planning to go look at more places. It's not like there is this huge battle. I don't think it was appropriate for him to show me the texts, but I don't think he did it to be a douche either.. he wanted me to understand what she was feeling.

She isn't too secure about the whole thing, she wants to meet. This is hardly Jerry Springer make.

I made the mistake of being a drama queen about it and acting like she is out for blood but really the invitation and us meeting isn't that big of a deal.

I mean, is it that bad of an idea for us to know eachother/get along?

I'm not exactly trying to talk you out of it but I think instead of saying it's already a done deal - which it's not since you don't have a place picked out yet - you should both reconsider if this is really the best solution for everybody involved.

It is, we both agree on that much. Honestly in the large scale, of cost, personality match up, ideal locations due to work and school, someone who likes Merlin etc.. it works. This is ideal. This girlfriend thing isn't a huge problem, she is uneasy, she wants to meet, it's not like she is 100% against it and throwing a hissy fit.

Fwiw, I didn't make any references for singular, broken up, events but more over repeated exposure and patterning of companionship (which can then more easily cross a line with the influence of what have you).

I don't think protecting ones relationship with intelligent choices is by any means an act of jealousy nor possessiveness nor an attempt to surgically attach at the hip. We do live in a world of grey areas.

I do agree with different strokes, but please don't presume the alternative to a come what may attitude, should that be your ideal, is an insecure control monster.
I do not think there is anything wrong with her wanting to meet me. I mean, I was against it at first, the whole idea made me uncomfortable
but now I get it.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with being jealous, insecure, protecting ones relationships, being ok with this kind of thing, or any combination of those things. They are feelings.

I don't think she is WRONG for feeling the way she does.
I just didn't want to have dinner with her lol if that makes sense. I think she has every right to feel the way she feels and want to put her mind at ease and "know me"

The drama lied in me feeling like by wanting to meet me she thought I was like a home wrecking crazy person.. which in reality it is not.

For the record I do not think there is anything wrong with her feeling the way she does. This thread is about my weird anxieties about going to dinner with her.. she hasn't been hateful or mean or even dramatic about it at all.. just a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I normally think you're pretty awesome, but I think you're a bit naive in this situation.

I've seen a lot of situations like this play out, especially in college and much more often than not, they didn't end well.

The simple fact he didn't think enough of the woman he is supposedly in love with to talk about the situation, he just told her how it was going to be and in turn, talks to you (a person he was romantically involved with, but supposedly has no feelings for now) about the situation and shares texts and thoughts meant to stay between him and his GF tell me the dynamic is much different than you think.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I wouldn't.

If she was cool with it from day one, maybe. But she's not, and I wouldn't want to be the person who causes anxiety or arguments. Meh no.

Sounds off from the get go.

Airn

I just wanted to clarify/point out that Fran has said Bob has been dating this girl for 4 (FOUR) months. Perhaps her opinion would have more sway if they have been dating a significant amount of time, but four months is a baby relationship. And Fran has said numerous times that its happening. I think she wanted some casual advice on how to make nice with the GF. And if Fran does get burned, so to speak, you can have a thread of I told you so's.

You may not do something yourself, and you can throw warnings out there, but we dont know EVERYTHING about her, Bob, or the relationships they're in. (I also know nothing of big city housing situations.) Fran is a big girl ;)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
She asked opinions....

And some people are married after 4 months. Time doesn't always determine how serious a relationship is.

Airn

She asked opinions....

And some people are married after 4 months. Time doesn't always determine how serious a relationship is.
And thats your opinion. I think four months is much too short a time. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances. At any rate, they arent serious enough to move in together.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Correction.
I asked for advice on living with a roommates in general and opinions on if you would care if your SO lived with a person of an opposite sex.
I wanted to get some perspective on what this girl must be feeling.
Not opinions on wether or not you think this would be a good living situation or opinions on his character.
But hey, this is a forum, people can give their opinions if they want to. Just saying, that's not what this thread was about and certainly not what I asked for.

I don't claim to know that Bob is a good boyfriend. I don't know their dynamic well enough to make that assumption (and neither do you people frankly lol off one instance) but I do know that he's a good person and that, like it or not, we work well and are looking for the same things housing wise and price range wage.. and he loves Merlin. Which makes him a pretty solid roommate choice compared to my other options. Yes this is a city of millions of people, and just as many crazy people lol

I don't think I'm a horrible person for not dropping everything because of what this situation could potentially do to HIS relationship and I don't claim that this situation will not effect his relationship at all. That is his and her problem, not mine.
I do feel the girlfriend's feeling are valid, and am going to have dinner. It's hardly that much to ask really and I shouldn't have made such a huge deal about not wanting to go just because it could potentially maybe be awkward.

As for what this dynamic of those two is going to do with the roomie situation, time will tell. I am pretty confident it won't be that much of an issue. But again, that's not what this thread was about
I'm prepared for it to cause hiccups, and I know there will be hiccups..I've never lived with anyone so I'm OK with things getting a little bumpy.. but I like Bob and overall am pretty thrilled this is happening.

If this blows up, the girlfriend goes to dinner and promptly decides she hates me and Merlin and I end up homeless because of the constant drama and her setting up nannycams to spy on us.. I will go ahead and make a "tell me I told you so" thread :rofl1:
But for now, this is happening and I'm pretty happy about it.

I can see how this thread might've painted an ugly picture of this situation but I am excited to move and for things to come, other than this hiccup, everything has been so positive and we agree on so much.
So naive? Maybe. But hey, how much of that is surprising really? lol

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
And frankly if not letting my boyfriend of 4 months have a say on major life decisions like moving to a city or into an apartment means being this horrible psychopath/bad girlfriend than sign me up because at that stage of dating my boyfriend had ZERO say in my major life choices.
We just weren't there yet.
He would've been informed but it wouldn't have been a discussion. He hadn't earned input yet,we were just starting out. I at that point wouldn't have felt the need to change my life or not for someone who was so new.

My academic life and future professional (/living situation and all the surrounds it) tops love life a lot of the time, but ESPECIALLY at 4 months in.
So it didn't strike me as that odd for him to not discuss it with her or ask her for permission.

My boyfriend applied for a highly prized 5 month internship in cali a while ago, got it, and told me he was going. He was of course nice about it and expressed not wanting to leave me but how important this all was for his future, of course we discussed what our options were relationship wise.. but the idea of me getting a say in him taking it or not? Not even for a minute. And we had been going out for longer than Bob and his girlfriend.

My feelings were not crushed. I understood.
So maybe a bit of perspective.
Just my 2 cents.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
her setting up nannycams to spy on us..
If she does this, you need to break out some sweet Good Morning dance every day. Just sayin.

Like so:

And the Takei dance must be incorporated

/nods

Members online

No members online now.