Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

Lauren, have you read Densie Fenzi's trial readiness PDF? There's a few good pointers and tips. Hank doesn't need to go cold turkey off his toy or rewards, just needs to get comp ready!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate |Part-timer, Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 10-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Welp, Wilson has been running full courses the last few weeks. We don't even try to break it into smaller pieces anymore unless it's a complicated handling sequence that I want to make sure he gets. But he's getting everything and every session we go I'm seeing SO MUCH PROGRESS even from the time we get there to the time we leave. He's staying engaged and focused on me now after a few runs of "the game ends if you check out" . His weaves are looking better and better each time we go, although they're not fully closed yet. I just need to go back and retrain his contacts because he's so **** fast and excited that he's been blowing contacts left and right. And it's totally my fault because I keep letting him get away with not doing his contact behavior (I want him to sit at the bottom of the contact) and even if he does, he releases himself all the time. Same with the startline.

I'm on the lookout for fun runs within a few hours of me, because I'd really like to start getting him into trial environments and ideally doing sections of courses to show him that the trial crowd isn't scary and that were still playing his favorite game ever. I'm thinking we might enter a NADAC trial in january, just tunnelers and touch-and-go, which I think he'll have fun with and be successful at.

Wilson // 2014 Border Collie /// Sam CGC // 2009 Little Black Mutt