I am so ticked off right now!

Oh, I know that little dogs can do lots of damage and it really bugs me when people underestimate their strength, but I'm pretty sure Misty could have killed Lucy. I was extremely careful when seperating them. I know someone who's Mom lost a little bit of the tops of two of her fingers seperating a dog fight and as I said I've seen dogs go at eachother and fight and have learned how to properly seperate a fight.

oriondw

user not active
gaddylovesdogs said:
Oh, I know that little dogs can do lots of damage and it really bugs me when people underestimate their strength, but I'm pretty sure Misty could have killed Lucy. I was extremely careful when seperating them. I know someone who's Mom lost a little bit of the tops of two of her fingers seperating a dog fight and as I said I've seen dogs go at eachother and fight and have learned how to properly seperate a fight.

You gotta understand mine, and others perspective :) If our dogs bite, there will be at least a broken arm with enough muscle damage to do permanent damage.

A small scratch from small dog is nothing. Saparating small dog fight is nothing more then grabbing both by collars and twisting them.

Thats mainly the reason i dont take small dogs seriously, because comparatively they reallly cant cause any damage.

p.s.

I've been bitten by breeds from JRT's to dobermans to malamute.

A small dog CAN do damage, but I doubt they could do as much as quickly as a large dog could. The neighbors are lucky Tippy wasn't the one who was attacked because she would have bit Misty right on the nose sending the dog with rushing home with it's tail between it's legs.

bubbatd

I personally feel that little nippy, yippy dogs need to be watched more than large well socialized dogs. Most little ones are brought up as their " babies"...no obedience, socialization, just pampered pets .

Rose's Gal

gaddylovesdogs said:
A small dog CAN do damage, but I doubt they could do as much as quickly as a large dog could. The neighbors are lucky Tippy wasn't the one who was attacked because she would have bit Misty right on the nose sending the dog with rushing home with it's tail between it's legs.
Ya, if Rose was on the other end of the leash instead of Lucy, she either would have chased the dog away, or freaked out. (One time Rose slipped her collar and chased this Border Collie mix that was coming toward us in a friendly way, not being aggressive at all. I felt so bad for the poor thing because as soon as he saw Rose coming, he tucked his tail and ran like the wind. Rose didn't do anything to him. As soon as he was back in his yard, Rose came back like, "See! I got rid of the big scary dog!" *shakes head*)
If it was Blackie, that dog would have gotten bit, I probably would have gotten dragged, and Blackie would be getting choked because he'd be pulling me with his Slip Collar on.
Well, ok, that was what Blackie would have used to do. Now he probably ignore the dog until it got right up next to him, and then he'd growl/lunge/bark/bite/whatever. And then when the dog backed off, he'd be ok till it came back.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
As we being great pet owners know it is the responsibility of the owner to keep their dogs either put in the house, behind a fence or on a leash. It could of been a small child. Dont matter the size of a dog a bite is a bit.

A lot of small dog owners figure that just because the dog is small that it can't do great damage, and that bugs me. But I know that Lucy would never bite anyone intentionally unless it was to protect herself and her home and family. I feel this was 75% Misty's fault for rushing across the street in an aggressive way and the stupid owner's for not properly restraining their dog who is known for running after other dogs. I feel it is 25% Lucy's fault though because she freaked out when Misty crossed the street.

Becca_

chowchow
yesterday we had a family cook out. I was talking about the vicous dog that came after me and Gracie, lived next door to my sister. Her husband said that dog bit 4 people that he knew of, one was a kid! Yet these people allowed that dog to run freely when they was home. Makes no sense.

k9dogs

K9 Dogs Europe
I think that smocking and drinking have nothing to do with the problem. The thing is that the character of dogs is that, they all the time can start a fight because of there nature. All dogs like to be the alpha dog in the group. If you only look at a group of puppy’s you can see this very clearly. As soon the line of strength is cleared, this will stop until some dog start trying to be the alpha dog. It is good nobody get wounded.

Take care
Alex

aspen

owners are totally responsible for their dog's behavior and aggressions, both morally and legally.

on court tv, there was a case where someone's dog was offleash and startled a next door neighbor's dog who was onleash. the offleash dog did not bark, chase or rush the leashed dog. however, the leashed dog was so scared, he ran around his owner's legs and created welts with the leash.

well, the owner with the welts on his legs sued in small claims and was awarded the maximum amount for pain and suffering.

although i feel this was unjust because the unleashed dog did nothing antagonistic, like a lot of the dogs described here, his owner was still held responsible for his causing the other dog to go ballistic.

anyways, this teaches us that we shouldn't take our responsibility so lightly. at the very least, it will affect our pocketbook.

oriondw said:
Their fault, but as you have said, the reason the dog actually attacked instead of sniffing was because your small dog was snarling at it. :) I have a small feeling this is another case of small fear biter who hasnt been socialized with other dogs.
I realize this is backtracking a little, but it bugs me to see this, as it's a very common owner/onlooker reaction when 'friendly' unleashed dogs jump leashed dogs who are snarling and/or straining at the loose dog in the seconds before WWIII breaks out. In this case, the larger dog rushed the smaller dog, which is not a friendly behavior but an aggressive or (best-case scenario) a cluelessly inappropriate one. While the smaller dog may be aggressive and/or poorly socialized, the larger dog definitely is one or the other (or both). The sharpei's rush was either a show of force or a friendly but bumbling effort to engage the smaller dog's interest. In either case, the small dog reacted appropriately, snarling in self-defense at this larger dog whose behavior reads either as predatory or as inexplicable.

oriondw

user not active
casablanca1 said:
I realize this is backtracking a little, but it bugs me to see this, as it's a very common owner/onlooker reaction when 'friendly' unleashed dogs jump leashed dogs who are snarling and/or straining at the loose dog in the seconds before WWIII breaks out. In this case, the larger dog rushed the smaller dog, which is not a friendly behavior but an aggressive or (best-case scenario) a cluelessly inappropriate one. While the smaller dog may be aggressive and/or poorly socialized, the larger dog definitely is one or the other (or both). The sharpei's rush was either a show of force or a friendly but bumbling effort to engage the smaller dog's interest. In either case, the small dog reacted appropriately, snarling in self-defense at this larger dog whose behavior reads either as predatory or as inexplicable.

Dogs run up to us pretty often when we walk and him actually trying to defend us is rare occasion, very rare. He's also 10+ times bigger and more agressive then the small dog in question, but he has been trained and socialized, unlike the dog in question. Dogs are curious and the sharpei wanted to explore, the blame should go on the owner and not the two dogs in question.

Just speaking from experience... A well socialized, confident dog would read the other dog properly and would not snarl.

Just my 2c.

Misty was rushing across the street with her hackles raised...not the friendliest way. I do think it was partially Lucy's fault because she freaked out but I believe this is mainly Misty and the neighbor's fault because they allow their dog to run and their dog attacked us.

And for those that may not know - I repeat that Lucy is NOT my dog, she's owned by a family that lives around the block from me.

Members online

No members online now.