Are you happy with your breed/dog choice?

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
The dogs? Absolutely. Drop dead gorgeous, perfect temperaments, perfect fit for me in every way. There is literally nothing I would change about them and this will be my breed until the day I die.

the PEOPLE? notsomuch.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
For Artimis, I love him so much, and in a lot of ways he is an absolutely fantastic dog, but would I get a dog like him again? NO WAY!

Other than his super heightened startle response, his reactivity, his general nervousness, and other nerve related issues, he just isn't the kind of dog that I get along with the best. He is a bit too much terrier for my liking. He's definitely more of David's kind of dog though, he likes the "I'm going to do my own thing" kind of dogs.

For Talon, he has his issues, but overall I would say YES I would get another border collie. I think I may be losing my mind a bit lately because I keep randomly looking up Border Collie breeders! >_< lol I mean, he doesn't come from anyone I know of so I feel like if I went for the good breeder route with my next BC it would be perfect match for me. I love his drive, his "never say No" attitude, his goofy but yet very serious attitude. I even like his easily distracted nature and his inability to focus on more than one thing at a time lol :p

The things I could live without is the over excitement/low frustration threshold and his structure issues. :( The excitement/frustration isn't bad and I think it's a training issue for the most part, but I feel some of it is just his genetics as well. The big one is the structure issues. I don't like the way he's put together and I'm pretty sure he's going to have issues as he gets older.

G makes me want to tear my hair out sometimes. And I occasionally get a little bummed at what activities are off limits to us based on breed. But I wouldn't trade him for the world and despite all that, next dog will also be a bull breed.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I don't think it's a secret that Frodo isn't the right dog for me, and I wouldn't choose another dog like him. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but he is anxious and needy and just...odd. And loud. And nothing that I really want in a dog. Except really, he's pretty freaking adorable.

Siri is absolutely everything I could have ever wanted in a dog ever. I adore her. Again, I don't think this is a secret. :p Will I have another Jack? I don't know. I don't think any of them could ever live up to her. She is perfect.

Fun, fun thread! I really love getting this insight into everyone.

Obviously we all love our dogs, but for those of you who chose a specific breed (or breeds), are you happy with your choice?

Yeppity, yep, yep! I absolutely adore Koolies and everytime I think of branching out again to a different breed I find myself thinking "But, I could add a Koolie instead..."

I think overall though, with this breed, it's diverse enough that I can say that I still feel that I need to be rather discerning with what lines I go with because I do like a certain type (both physically and temperamentally). Which, I think is true for pretty much all breeds but with some, the differences between lines is quite large.

But yes, overall for making a crazy leap of faith and getting Traveler because they sounded perfect on paper and when I talked to people, it couldn't have turned out better. I'm in love with these dogs and this breed.

I hope if I ever do branch out to another breed to try they fit my the same way these Kooligans do. Because, gotta say, I'm spoiled.

Would you do it again?

In a heartbeat and I will continue doing it, over and over and over.

Those of you with rescues or rehomes, are you happy with your choice in dog?

Ooooh Fergus :rofl1: I am so incredibly happy we got him. I had my doubts when we first went to meet him. We didn't have much information, when we met him he was very nervous about all these weird things happening and why his owner was crying. But for some reason something about him stuck out, even when he was sitting nervous by his previous owner.

So happy we took him home because I honestly can't believe how seamlessly he fit into our house and how freaking funny he is. He's up for anything, all the time. He's goofy, he's happy and he's cuddly and he's the perfect addition to the other two.

We have some bumps in the road but really, I couldn't imagine stumbling upon a better dog to add. He's exactly what we needed at exactly the right time. I'm with Southpaw, made me a Craigslist rehome believer.

Even those that did buy from a breeder, do you think the dog you ended up with was a good match for you (whether you chose or your breeder did)?

Oh god yes.

I adore these two so much.

Traveler is pretty much amazing. He's up for anything, afraid of nothing, bomb proof, happy, goofy, intuitive, velcro, crazy and kinda ridiculous.

Didgie is loud, hysterical, ready to take the world on, confident, happy, sweet, cuddly, brilliant and evil.

They both were exactly what I wanted and needed when I got each one and I love that no matter what I never have to worry about how they will react to something (unless it's noise level, then maybe). There is pretty much nothing I don't think they can do if we wanted to.

I won't say they're perfect, I wouldn't like perfect. They have their issues but I can't imagine any other dogs laying next to me on the couch. I find myself grinning randomly while working with them, playing with them and just being with them because they are MY perfect.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I really want a freaking borderstaffy next but I can't find a good breeder. Boo. And I don't want to do flyball because they travel so often on agility weekends and I don't think I can commit to a team sport. I keep looking them up though.

Really interested in BCs, koolies, purebred ACDs, small terrier mixes, borderjacks and borderstaffs for the future. Possibly a Belgian once the paps are gone. And still pyrshep interest though the breeder I like doesn't seem to breed anymore?

At this point I want to try different breeds in the future. I think I will be a 3 dog household most the time too.

Totally happy with my Border Collies. I currently have (working bred) Border Collies #4 (Gael-5 year old girl) and #5 (Kep-puppy boy). As a breed they have some quirks that would possibly annoy other people but don't bother me. I just love that they are so into their owner and the world revolves around their owner, any toys the owner has and any work the owner wants to do. With all 5 if there isn't much going on they don't get into any trouble, they just kind of power down and wait for next instructions! I like to compete in agility, obedience and tracking. They are ideal. I also grew up with different types of working sheepdogs on a sheep farm.

Our other dog is a French Brittany, Scout 2.5 years old. She was specifically sort out to be a strong tireless hunting dog. This is my husbands hobby and he also competes in field trials with her. At both of these things she is fantastic. I love watching her compete in field trials, running flat out SO FAST across a mountain side before slamming to a stop on point. At home, she is the biggest couch potato dog I have ever had. She is incredibly lazy, heat-seeking and snuggly. If the weather is bad for a week she won't care if she doesn't get a walk, she will just curl up in a blanket on the couch and snooze. The conflict I have with her is taking her out doing "normal dog stuff". Say a long off-lead walk (she is a horror to walk on lead so I don't do that). She goes too far for me and she goes VERY fast. She can disappear in seconds. There are only a couple of places I am willing to take her on walks. She will circle back and head across in front. Her recall and her stop is excellent (if not she would not be off lead at all with me). If you constantly watch and manage her on walks she is fine. But she scares me. I would not get another Brittany and one at a time is enough but my husband has plans for a second one in a year or 2. I do compete in agility and rally with her and she is surprisingly good at those, in an "if you want me to", going through the motions kind of way. You don't see the immense speed coming out at agility. She is as bright as the collies but devious with it. She is also not 100% reliable with dogs that bowl up to her "being friendly" so I have to watch her.

Obviously we all love our dogs, but for those of you who chose a specific breed (or breeds), are you happy with your choice?
Definitely. I grew up with GSDs and then had a rescue Lacy and while I loved those dogs I adore Hudson. He is smart, sassy, a total clown.

Would you do it again?
Heck yes!

Even those that did buy from a breeder, do you think the dog you ended up with was a good match for you (whether you chose or your breeder did)? Definitely. I brought 3 males up with my from NC. Once lives in upstate NY and the other in southern CT. I preferred Hudson from the time I first met him. Not to say the other two males weren't nice dogs, I just liked Huddy more.

Locke

Yes...and a bit of no. Smiley charmed the pants off me with his cute as a button face, cuddles, his goofiness, and biddability.

He's challenged me A LOT this past year, pushed me to be a better person and owner, and I can't thank him enough for that. BUT I really wanted a dog I could play disc with, and he has NO catching ability, and NO toy drive outdoors. So that's kind of a let down. He's also choosy with strange dogs, and aggressive with intact males, and is unsure/shy with strangers. Which is also a letdown, but I love him all the same.

Would I pick him again having had him for over a year now? Probably not, but he's mine and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

elegy

overdogged
Luce (pit bull) has been a fantastic dog for me. I love her to death, but at this point, I probably won't get another one. A combination of politics, social complications, health issues, and dog-aggressiveness.

The sporter collies, yes. Oh yes. If I could have another dog like Steve I would in a heart beat. Bean barks too freaking much, but other than that he is sweet and biddable and did I mention sweet? Also: he came with an off switch.

Hambone the Treeing Feist? If he's typical of the type, I would definitely have another. He's the perfect size (15 7/8" and 23 pounds), he's funny and good-natured and athletic but has a great off switch.

monkeys23

I knew I'd dig the sled dog mutt, but I had no idea how hard I'd fall for her GSD side. Really head over heels for the breed.

And really, after living with "cray cray" as I affectionately call Scout I must really love them if I'd happily stick with GSD's if I had to pick just one breed. Gotta love her, they've both made me a much better trainer and owner than I would have been getting a well bred dog right out of the gate.

Next time I want a breeder young dog or pup so that I can worry more about relaxed fun + working toward actually competing instead of balancing constant behavioral training with learning actual tasks. I just focus on us having FUN with it all.
I have pretty much decided to hold off until Scout is either very old and very low maintenance (hah! Riiiight low maintenance....) or until she's gone. So of course she'll probably live to 20 knowing my luck LOL. :)
I would like to try a mal someday. I have really enjoyed the working bred ones I have gotten to interact with. GSD first though. They just... ack I can't even put it into words! <3 ;)

I want to adopt a senior sled dog someday. It will be forever down the road because Lily is perfect and she is going to live forever. :p

Will have to get used to the idea of living with a lab someday. My bf wants another for hunting after the springer he shares with his grandpa passes. Sage is only 1 so that is a good long way out. We've already talked about future dog plans a lot and I must really like him given how little I care for labs and how willing I am to make the concession if we pick the right one together. Not much of a sporting dog person and I particularly do not mesh well with labs. Which is probably why the universe says this must happen so that I learn things. :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Those of you with rescues or rehomes, are you happy with your choice in dog? Even those that did buy from a breeder, do you think the dog you ended up with was a good match for you (whether you chose or your breeder did)?

And I guess I never answered this question.

Abrams was kind of chosen for me by the breeder. And by that, I mean he wasn't supposed to be mine. He was reserved for someone else, but when he backed out and Abrams became available, the breeder said, "Hey, I have a brown male available and I think he'll suit what you're looking for. Interested?" And I jumped at the opportunity. He was the last of his litter to go, so I never even saw his litter mates. I'd say he's a very good fit for me. Like I mentioned earlier, I wish he was a bit more level headed, but I'm still hoping that will come with maturity. *crosses fingers*

Cynder was a rescue. And it was kind of a, "Hey, my coworker is getting rid of a dog, do you want it, Michael?" sort of situation. He was told she was a Lab/GSD mix, and he likes both breeds, so said sure. He wasn't expecting a little 28 pound, reserved, quiet little dog. But he took her anyway, because she needed a better home. She was being kept outdoors and her only human interaction was with the family's two young boys, but she would also get scolded for playing roughly with them. What a life. That must have broke her heart, because not only does she want to BE with people, she wants to please SO BADLY and when she thinks she is in trouble she wilts.

Michael prefers large, playful dogs that he can get physical with and wrestle around with. And he's routinely told me that he wishes Cynder knew how to play. But, aside from that, you couldn't ask for an easier dog. She's been perfect for him and he is going to be absolutely devastated when she's gone.

I also suppose I should talk about Chloe. She was an impulse rescue on my part. After our Labrador that we had been raising when back to the Guide Dog school, I really wanted another dog. Was scouring petfinder. I thought I wanted either a Pit Bull or a Basset Hound (HA!), but any good ol' mix would do. A classmate had a bonfire at her house one evening and there was a litter of farm Collie/Aussie mixes there. I fell in love with the spunk and attitude that was Chloe and took her to show my parents. After a hard battle, she became mine. She was everything I wanted, and didn't want. To this day I still think, "She could have been my perfect dog," but her aggression and anxiety issues prevented that. I still wonder if I had done something different, tried a different training tactic, not left her at home with my parents, if things would have been different. But that's too late now. She's honestly turned me off of ever adopting a young puppy again.

Elrohwen

Those of you with rescues or rehomes, are you happy with your choice in dog? Even those that did buy from a breeder, do you think the dog you ended up with was a good match for you (whether you chose or your breeder did)?

I also didn't answer this question.

I wanted a dog who was middle of the road, not wild, because of the rabbits. I also wanted one suitable for some low level obedience/agility stuff. Watson was intended for a show home, but when that person backed out his breeder asked if I would consider showing him ("You'll be there for obedience anyway, so just put him in the conformation ring!" haha). He also seemed pretty handler focused and and food drive. Looking back, a couple of the males were very similar as puppies, so I think we would have been fine with a couple of them. I haven't met them later in life, but from what I hear Watson is the wildest of the bunch, so it's probably good he ended up with me, since I'm supposed to be the one interested in dog training and all :lol-sign: And showing and potentially breeding him has been a fun adventure I never though I'd have, so I appreciate him for that reason.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Very happy! I loved growing up with a Collie, and now that I'm older and a bit more knowledgeable, a BC is a perfect match. :) There are A LOT of qualities that Paris has that remind me of Sally, but she definitely has more drive and focus, which I like.

Would you do it again?
Absolutely! Just not for a while. :) I really enjoy focusing on Paris and her training. I'll definitely own Rough Collies and BCs in the future, though.

Even those that did buy from a breeder, do you think the dog you ended up with was a good match for you (whether you chose or your breeder did)?
Yep, Paris is a PERFECT match for me. She's pretty much everything I wanted in a dog. She has lots of drive, lots of energy, but a phenomenal off-switch too. Because she's my first BC and performance dog, I really trusted my breeder to match me up with the most suitable puppy. I honestly couldn't be happier with her choice. :) I didn't find out which puppy I was getting until she was seven and a half weeks old, but it was absolutely worth it! Besides, she's was secretly my favourite from her litter. :p

I love Seamus to pieces and he was perfect for me when I was a teenager. :p He is such a low-maintenance dog and easy keeper, I'm so glad I got him when I did. I doubt I could have handled a very high energy dog back then. But I wouldn't consciously seek out a dog like him now. He has no drive at all and very little energy. He is perfectly content to sleep all day, which is awesome, but I like a dog that's a little more active. :)

SaraB

I am very happy with all of my dogs and their breeds. The koolies are ridiculously talented, even if they are giant PITAs. Zuma is the right amount of easy to counteract the difficultly of the koolies. The whippet keeps me from getting in the rut of training the same type of dog, keeps my brain thinking, plus she's pretty darn lazy at home so that's nice. My border staffy fills my clingy dog spot and lets me get all of my cuddle out, plus she's an absolute joy to work with. Edgar.... well Edgar provides comedy relief.

Would you do it again?
Yes, I would absolutely have this combination again. They balance each other so well, I really think I have a well-rounded, varied pack.

My only two dogs from a breeder are the koolies. Zinga is cookie-cutter perfect for me, so is everything I wanted and hoped for. Zip Tie is a great fit for my husband, which is why he was originally bought. He's an ok fit for me, I'm not sure how different that would have been if I had bonded with him more as a puppy.

I am! Zuma, Taboo, Mighty Mouse and Edgar are all wonderful. As with any dog, breeder bought or rescue, surprises pop up, however I never regret adding any of them. They all fill their niche, they all have their spot and they are all perfect in their own ways.

Toller_08

These are all very interesting to read! ANd I just have to say, I particularly love this:

I won't say they're perfect, I wouldn't like perfect. They have their issues but I can't imagine any other dogs laying next to me on the couch. I find myself grinning randomly while working with them, playing with them and just being with them because they are MY perfect.
That's such a good way to put it. Simply because often I say how perfect Journey is, and what I mean when I say that is that she is my perfect as well. She's certainly not perfect herself by any means haha. She, like any dog, has her quirks.

amberdyan

Obviously we all love our dogs, but for those of you who chose a specific breed (or breeds), are you happy with your choice? Would you do it again?

I definitely wanted a herder mix of some kind, although I went in to the shelter thinking I was fine with anyone under the age of 4, I exited the shelter with a 5 month old... But I'm very happy and yes I would do it again.

I rescued Hugo from the shelter where he had been for about a month. I'm so happy that I have him. He's nutty, high energy without losing his mind, has food and toy drive and loves nothing more than to spend a lazy sunday morning cuddling, and running through the woods that afternoon.

However, there are several times that I wish I could have gotten him younger. He was a stray (and they thought he had been for awhile, he was pretty rough when he came in) and then was in the shelter for around a month and I think all of the above contributed to his obsession with other dogs. It's incredibly hard for him to focus when there are other dogs around and he wants DESPERATELY to go meet/play with them. He's gotten to where he's fine on leash, but off leash it's a struggle. We're working with long lines and he's getting better.

katiem

Yes, my first dog was a Rottweiler, and he was perfect for me.

Would you do it again?
As soon as I can get over his death, which was almost two years ago, I'll have another. Right now I'm at the stage where all other Rotts are not as good as Levon was.

Some of my rescues are great, Daniel has always been a good boy, though since Levon's death he howls when he's out at night. I'm not the only one that was hit hard by his death.

Jeanie was a monster for the first year of her life, but is an awesome dog now.

I never thought I'd love a Pug, since I've always felt they were loaves of bread with heads, but Puggy was a great girl.

And old Loeke, who hated everyone but me, was a dear. I'd never hope for another like him, but he was loved.

On the other hand, my maniac Saint Bernard, my evil Mastiff x, my Coconut (who killed my Pug)...never again.

When I bought Levon, my only dog through a breeder, I was last in line and wanted a male, but was ending up with a female. After meeting the breeder and the pups I was handed the only male, and I was told he was mine. I was a first time dog owner, but the breeder saw something in me, I guess. I only had him for 6 years before osteosarcoma took him, but he couldn't have been a better match.

Absolutely completely happy.

Morrison- he was a craigslist rehome. At the time I was looking for a lab mix. I wasn't sure about a lab/hound mix because I had experience with beagles in the past and I knew they are not a breed for me. I didn't have any experience with basset hounds. I was a bit nervous at first but he turned out to be perfect for me. He is athletic and can go for hours if need be. He is also more than happy to spend days on end snoozing and snuggling on the couch. He is smart, gentle, and goofy. He is friendly but also be protective. He is great with any and all dogs he comes in contact with, he is great with ANY small animal (cats, rats, mice, birds). Anything I ask of him he will do. I also LOVE his build and different breed features from his labby head to his short stature, to his awesome hound bay.

When the day comes that Morrison passes away from old age I plan to actively seek out another lab/hound mix.

Fae and Leia were both "fall into my lap" dogs.... no pun intended ;). I had fostered for a few small dog rescues and found that I actually liked chihuahuas :yikes:. And I have always loved terriers. So when the opportunity knocked (twice) to own chi/terrier mixes. I jumped on it.

Both of my girls personalities tend to lean more on the terrier spectrum. They are two tenacious active girls who make me laugh daily. They are tough girls who definitely don't know how small are. They are hunters of rodents and shadows. They are not yappy or snappy. They great with adults, kids, cats, and other dogs (big or small). Like Morrison they love walks and can hike for hours but they also love their couch/lazy time.

They work out well for me because I do live in an urban area with a very small backyard. It would be hard for me to have 3 large active dogs in my home right now. But to have a medium sized dog and two "toy" dogs who are active but also have an "off" switch works out great.

Like Morrison if I had the opportunity to have another chi/yorkie or chi/toy fox terrier (or any chi/terrier mix) in my life I would definitely take it.

Members online

No members online now.