The dog musing/vent thread

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
So just to be safe, I sent out a 4DX test on Juno juuuust to make sure there was no hidden Lyme disease going on with her - she's just been a little slower and seems a little stiffer, and while I haven't seen a tick on her in 5 years, we've been diagnosing Lyme disease in dogs left and right at work lately. She's coming up due for annual bloodwork anyway so we did the whole shebang with a 4DX, CBC, chemistry and fecal.

My dog has no tick disease, no heartworm disease, no intestinal parasites, and bloodwork still looks great. So... she is just getting older and slowing down :eek:

Also on the lab request form, I listed her age as 5 years 6 months. On the results, they have her age as 6 years. DO NOT ROUND UP JUNO IS NOT 6 YET NONONO.

xpaeanx

Ugh, tug bites. The worst... I usually just stop tug if they hit me. Oko's idea sounds like a good way to teach the concept.... Not sure my fingers agree though. LOL.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Ugh, tug bites. The worst... I usually just stop tug if they hit me. Oko's idea sounds like a good way to teach the concept.... Not sure my fingers agree though. LOL.
Gloves. Gloves are awesome. I personally like to combine those with the same type of training as Oko described. ;) My fav brand is sold only at Home Depot: Firm Grip multipurpose.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Oh I cared. I just...there was a lot going on at the time and it never really came up I guess. We don't really talk dog stuff. And somewhere along the line I truly forgot they didn't already know. Even when they did it wasn't a big deal...I brought him up to visit and a few said, "Wait, I haven't seen this one before have I...?" and they adored him and that was it. I guess it kinda made it easier because he was already obviously established in the household. Plus anything over one equates to crazy do lady ;)

As someone who has added the right dog at the not-ideal time before...my personal advice would be to try to find a way to make it work if you can. Because in six months or a year when you are settled in and ready to rock, he will be too. And because awesome dogs are worth it. And because you'll second-guess yourself either way and he is already home so give it a go with everything you got and if ot still doesn't work out he'll be that much better prepared for whatever lies ahead and you'll know that you chose to wait rather than allowing yourself to give in to external doubts.

But that's just my two cents :)
I love this post.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Someone come adopt the black Hank....

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30390960/

ETA: Holy crap that dog is listed as the exact same age as Hank. Housed at a different shelter but was pulled from Hank's shelter to get to the no kill... Was pulled probably the day or day before I adopted Hank based on when this posting popped up,

I wonder if they're related. :confused:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Our area is overrun by these kinds of dogs. I want them all.

Also considering what petfinder did to me last week I should probably not be browsing. But look at this one!!!!

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30430726/

And this one!

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30273259/

Omg. The face.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30334260/

A Hank with a tail.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30379894/

THIS GUY is adorable.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/29642805/

Aww girl at Hank's shelter: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30420539/

And this boy came in day after I got Hank. I like the name Rodeo.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30431462/

I still am convinced that one dog is a littermate though...

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
A lady from work persuaded me into bringing the dogs in on my day off so she could meet them.

Brought 3 of 4 (No Oz).

I just want to brag a little about how happy I was with Rigby. This woman literally did all the things that Rigby usually freaks out about (touching her hips while her back is turned was a huge one), and there was no reaction. Nothing.
Rigby actually LEANED IN for more pets.

Progress :)

Elrohwen

I have rules and we play a game once to make them clear. No getting it before I ask you to, out when I ask you to, bite my hand and the game is done. We play a game I learned from SG where you present the tug with your hands close together, and tell them to get it. They inevitably nail you, and you say oops or owww and take it away. Then hands further apart so that they have room to not hit your hands, praise and tug. Then a little closer, then a little closer-if they make an effort to be careful not to hit your hands, good, if as you move them closer they nail you again, oops/owww, toy goes away and fun is stopped, until if you offer a tug with your hands too close for them to get their mouth between them, they will not bite it. It was very effective for me.
I like this! I'll have to try it.

Watson's bigger problem is that when he brings a toy back, if you reach for it he drops it and bites your hand instead :rofl1: He's such an a**hole. He doesn't even bite down, but it's obnoxious, and if he's moving quickly it hurts because he's running into you with his teeth.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So I wrote a few days ago about freaking out about doing private sessions with Art, yeah....I'm over it. lol

Basically I went to the session with his trainer and told her my concerns and she is so freaking awesome! We discussed his issues (both behavioral and medical), my goals, what would be reasonable to aim for as far as sessions/costs etc. She normally requires you to pay/schedule a few private sessions at a time, but because she knows I will be working with my dogs, I will be there if I say I'm going to be there, and we are also doing the work-for-credit thing I am going to do it session by session. ^_^ Which works really well for me since my schedule is horrible right now. Plus she also mentioned that because of where Art is starting out at with his connection with me and his obedience, plus were I'm starting at out with my knowledge base, we won't have to do nearly as much sessions before reaching a trigger setup. So that's also really good! ^_^

But I went from being completely unsure before the private, to being completely satisfied and sure this is the route I want to take.

Art was tuckered out after our session and the day after the private session he was the happiest I've seen him in a long long time! He initiated play with Talon twice AND played for more than a few minutes! :hail: I'm taking that as a sign that, though it might be a little bit stressful for him, it's also a really good thing.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Confession time...
Once a upon a time, we were highly considering getting a Pug. It never happened. Why? Because, at that time I wasn't fond of them.

It is likely if I did say yes, I'd have a dog.

Why didn't I say yes? Why?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Can someone please adopt this dog?

He's at the rescue where I help with training classes and the coordinator kept insisting that he's "my type of dog."
So last night I used him instead of my own dogs to demo behaviours. And he catches on so quickly! He was very timid to begin with, but by the end of an hour he was working in front of the class totally focused on me.

If I thought he would stand up to Rigby (whom is much smaller than him by the way), I'd be finding a way to sneak him home lol.

I figure he's probably some sort of herding dog (ACD or Border Collie perhaps?) mixed with a Coonhound or other sort of scent hound. Super nice dog though. TONS of food and toy drive.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Confession time...
Once a upon a time, we were highly considering getting a Pug. It never happened. Why? Because, at that time I wasn't fond of them.

It is likely if I did say yes, I'd have a dog.

Why didn't I say yes? Why?
Because it wouldn't have been the right fit.

I had the opportunity to adopt a extremely well bred 10 week old American Bulldog puppy who had congenital ME, but was easily managed like Cynder is. I had Michael's blessing, all I had to do was say, "Yes, I will see you tomorrow" to the breeder.

I decided not to adopt the puppy. Not because of the ME, not because of the breed, but because after thinking about it, another large breed dog with the potential for breed restrictions is not really what I want. Would it have worked out? Probably. Do I wish I had a third do as a playmate for Abrams? Yes. But...my gut just told me it wasn't right, so I listened to my gut.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Good god Hank is so wild today. o_O

I think it must be the sudden temperature drop outside. Hes been great all week and last night and this morning is just being so incredibly hyper and obnoxious.

Yeah i'll blame the weather.

Elrohwen

I think it must be the sudden temperature drop outside. Hes been great all week and last night and this morning is just being so incredibly hyper and obnoxious.

Watson has also been a wild child for the past couple days. No idea why. I'll blame the weather too!

My dog hoards eggs. Last year, I found a stash of about a dozen hidden in the backyard. Today, I woke up and found him snuggled up to a single large egg under the covers. I have no idea where it came from.

This dog. I swear.

Brattina88

My dogs were wild last night And this morning too!
So I come to work.... Guess what? The kids are wild, too! :eek:

I blame the weather. Or maybe it's getting close to a full moon? :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.