Lurecoursing?

Red.Apricot

I sent in Elsie's entries for a nearby lure-coursing event and now I'm nervous! It's this weekend, and if she enjoys it/her foot holds up (she tore a nail a few weeks ago; the vet said she's good to go, I'm a worry-wort), she'll be doing four runs.

What should I know going into this? I have never been to a lure-coursing event, even as a spectator, so this is all new to me. Do I need a special lead/collar?

Help, lol!

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Definitely prepare yourself for a very looooong day of waiting around
We went to our first CAT last weekend, and yup, this is pretty much what I learned, haha.

The PrairieDobe write up is great. I didn't bring any sort of containment for Rowan, and it was too hot to leave him in the car, so I had him on a leash *away* from the field (he'd scream when he saw the lure) the entire time. I'll bring a crate or x-pen next time.

DJEtzel

Have a way to get out of the sun if the weather will be warm because you'll be waiting a lot.

No need to quiet your dogs down - screamers are welcome. ;)

Paviche

Duuuuude.
No need to quiet your dogs down - screamers are welcome. ;)
I'll emphasize that no one made me feel like I had to take him away... it was just that *I* was embarrassed to have the only screaming dog, LOL ;) I also didn't want him to wear himself out before he even ran!

DJEtzel

I'll emphasize that no one made me feel like I had to take him away... it was just that *I* was embarrassed to have the only screaming dog, LOL ;) I also didn't want him to wear himself out before he even ran!
That's always my biggest fear. I do coursing at the UKC premier, so I go to check in then hang out at the pool and check in periodically or my dogs will drive themselves tired. Same thing for Dock diving. I won't stand and wait with my dogs, I'll go get them when it's our turn or they'll hurt themselves/get too tired and demotivated, too.

The smaller trials don't have enough entries to wait around usually. I show up, course, and then go home. :D

That's always my biggest fear. I do coursing at the UKC premier, so I go to check in then hang out at the pool and check in periodically or my dogs will drive themselves tired. Same thing for Dock diving. I won't stand and wait with my dogs, I'll go get them when it's our turn or they'll hurt themselves/get too tired and demotivated, too.

The smaller trials don't have enough entries to wait around usually. I show up, course, and then go home. :D
Come course or jump with us. We'll make your dogs look good. Really good.

My little hellbeast draws all the dirty looks.

Red.Apricot

The advice here has been great, thanks!

My mom and I went ahead and made a slip-lead for her last night. I think it came out okay, considering we had no idea what we were doing!

Snark

Mutts to you
Congrats! It's the Stripey Dawg's favorite, too. No more CATs in our area this year, but the local coursing club is holding a fun run in Nov., we'll go to that.

Red.Apricot

Okay, lure-coursing is too fun for words, lol. We are totally hooked; Elsie just comes alive.

Elsie got her CA this weekend, and Zoey got two Qs (my dad didn't take her on Saturday).

Zoey running:

Red.Apricot

Thank you!

Oh and I forgot; we got to run the girls together after everything was done! That was really cool; Elsie's faster, but she hung back because Zoey'll bulldoze through her. Elsie was better at cutting corners and getting ahead though--it was really neat to see how differently they think.

Members online

No members online now.