Recommend Me Future Breeds?

Melle

I've always found these topics fun, and anyway, it's a bummer not getting to be as involved with dogs as I normally am and in the case I wanted a breed-specific career in the future, I'm curious what others think would be compatible with what I'd look for in a dog. Here goes!

Small to Medium-sized. Generally anywhere between 10 and 50lbs. I'll likely be living in an apartment for a while, and after that most likely a very cozy house with a little piece of property somewhere in rural DE.

Quiet. Goes along with living in an apartment, something that wouldn't want to bark or squeal at every little thing so that noise wouldn't be an issue.

Biddable. Definitely biddable. I don't really enjoy persuading dogs to work with me or interacting with the "Why should I?" type. I love breeds that are ready for partnership, are companionable and eager to please, and love to learn more. Plus, dog sports would interest me for the future and I enjoy teaching little tricks besides the basics.

Active! I love to get out and do things. Small hikes, walking around the neighborhood, fetch, some trick-training, frisbee, tug, all of that good stuff. I couldn't cope with a dog so high-strung that it would be spinning circles and bouncing off of walls; it would definitely need a good off-switch.

I have to admit, despite looking into a grooming-career, I don't want to do a lot of grooming at home. I don't mind brushing daily, but I'd prefer it not being too involved like...Collie involved. But some brushing, a little combing, sure!

Oh, and reactivity. I can work with it to a point but yeah I don't do well with ongoing reactivity. One of those things I just want to go without. So maybe a breed less likely to be reactive, if possible specifically toward stranger and other dogs.

What do you guys think?

Melle

I had a feeling Whippet would be one of the first! A lot of people say they'd be great for me and they've definitely grown on me :3 Although now that I have a cat, puts a little flag on that path.

Slick

Kristina
Well, you just perfectly described Leo in every single regard. But he isn't your typical bordercollie/acd mix (at least in the quiet regard).

What I am trying to say is, I think the right adult dog of many breeds would fit you. You just have to wait and find the right one.

I had a very similar list to yours, but I was also set on a border collie or border collie mix. It was all just about waiting for the right one to come along.

iriskai

Chiming in on Whippets, because.. well.. yeah. :)

Small to medium. My 'large' boy is about 45 lbs and Whippets are typically very good in apartments, provided they have an outlet.

Quiet. This depends. Both of mine are pretty quiet, though my girl is good with alert barking. However, I know a couple that are NOISY. Backtalking, chatty fools.

Biddable. HAH. Depends. Even my more trainable girl needs something in it for her and I get the 'why should I' look pretty regularly from both of them. Whippets don't typically work just to make their owners happy, just not in their makeup. Want a dog with 100% trustworthy recall? Not going to happen. I say this as someone who has a Whippet with VERY good recall that spent most of the day on the show grounds offlead. That said, Mimi has been quite competitive in our novice agility ventures. My trainer is encouraging of a MACH and she LOVES the agility game. Very self rewarding for her.

Active. Got it! Neither of mine are 'toy' dogs, but I know plenty of Whippets successful in flyball and with good toy drives. Bonus, they have a killer off switch. Go from catching lures to couch potato PDQ.

Grooming is a breeze, I have a hacksaw shedding blade to pull loose coat, no doggy smell, they're clean overall and not houndy. On reactivity, they ignore most people and dogs on our walks. Squirrel? Chipmunk? Bunny? All bets are off, hope you braced your shoulder.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I think a small Labrador bitch may be doable? The only question would be the apartment, but if you plan on providing plenty of physical activity it should be fine. Abrams was raised in an apartment and I lived to tell the tale, so. *shrugs*

Maybe a field bred English Springer Spaniel? I've loved what I've heard of them and if I ever wanted a smaller dog, that's probably where I'd look. Other Spaniel breeds may be worth looking in to as well!

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I was going to suggest a spaniel of some sort, I would never describe sighthounds as biddable. The spaniels I know are happy, friendly, willing, and good at settling. Some need clipping, but they look good clipped unlike collies/goldens/huskies.

Melle

Oops, didn't mean to disappear!

I'm actually rather taken by spaniels, they're pretty neat and all the one I've met are spiffy, smart little things. I like their size, and usually they don't have too much coat. I suppose field/working bred ones would tend to have less coat than those from show lines?

crazedACD

What about a Brittany? Not technically a spaniel but the coat is pretty wash and wear and they are good dogs. Active and relatively biddable without being over the top. Not always off-leash reliable (bred to range far for hunting). You can find them in rescue/shelters occasionally.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
All the brittanys I know are loud, neurotic, and far more interested in their environment than in engaging with a human. Nobody hunts with dogs out here though, so none are from hunting lines. Still, I would describe them as nervous, aloof and incapable of settling. Definitely not reliable off leash. Only sort of biddable.

Members online

No members online now.