Miniature Poodles

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Anyone know any well?

I'm really interested in these guys. I've always said NO poodle hair but I've discovered that I enjoy trimming dog hair (lol).

They seem like awesome little agility dogs. They seem to me to be very Summer-like? Not too difficult but have a lot of drive and biddability and are really great agility dogs. I've been very impressed by youtube videos of them!

I'd like to find a breed that is very similar to Summer. She's just great- nice and easy and confident. Not too demanding for exercise but happy to go do whatever. She LOVES to work and has exceptional biddability. She's athletic and lightly built. Very easy to live with and always has been easy to live with.

So yeah. Tell me about mini poodles. :popcorn:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
All I know is I want one. There are some that compete here in obedience and OMG I WANT ONE!

I'd keep it in a puppy clip all the time (or try to Bedlington clip it, because that's the only grooming I know how to do :rofl1:).

I want one.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'd have to just shave it down all the way. That's all I know how to do. I'm sooooo not paying for a groomer. :rofl1:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
A gal where I used to live has had mini poodles forever. Agility, obedience, rally, whatever. She has been tremendously successful with them and they are so fun to watch.

DJEtzel

I don't know any well, but I had a few hour long working interview as a dog trainer at an organization, and one of the dogs they bred to work for them that I got to work with was a black mini poodle. I thought, "Oh this should be fun :rolleyes:" but it actually was. She was a 10 month old named Cleo - my task was to get her to move three feet away from me and nose target a CD in as few reps as possible. She had never been taught targeting.

She picked it up LIKE THAT. Maybe 10 reps and she was successfully running back to the CD 3-5 feet from me. I would have taken her home on the spot. XD

And I'm not a poodle/small dog fan for my own dogs, typically. :)

(Ironically, paps are the other small dogs that I would own to do stuff with. I would totally adopt a random older little dog just to snuggle, but I don't like most small dogs for actually sporting with. I would with a pap or mini poodle if I ever needed a smaller dog.)

You'd have a blast with a mini poodle. Very easy to train, loads of fun, ready to go whenever you are but just as ready to be a cuddlebug.

FG167

There was one in Limit's agility class. She was awesome. Super fast, drivey, crazy tugging - absolutely awesome. And I am not really into poodles or small dogs...

Oko

Silence, peasants.
They're nice little dogs. My 'family dog' is one, we got her from a cat shelter when she was a year old, now she's 13. Seizures are a concern, as is separation anxiety. Cleo does have seizures, when she was younger they were infrequent and mild but they got really bad last year so now she's on daily meds. She was dog reactive when she was young and VERY LOUD, but who knows how she got to that point as that's where she was when we adopted her, let alone how she was bred. She's very much a one person dog. She is scary smart, Wes doesn't hold a candle to her problem solving skills.

Diesel is mostly poodle, I really believe that he is 3/4 mini poodle and 1/4 Yorkie, and he is great. Even though he wasnt introduced to anything for the first year of his life he has come around and really loves agility. He is easily trained and I LOVE his coat.

And just for fun lol.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I have a friend with a mini poodle and a standard :)

Her little guy is a fun little dog. He loves to train and he picks things up very quickly. He is a happy and incredibly sweet dog.

I think he is pretty awesome :)

Grab

The ones I've been around have been awesome, fun, drivey little dogs. :)

Locke

They're AWESOME!!!!

Minis tend to be the best poodle variety for sports. They have a lot of drive, speed, and smarts. They also tend to have fewer health issues associated with them than standard poodles. I find minis are more representative of poodles as a working dog, rather than frou frou show dogs. The ones I've met LOVE water, and retrieving, very handler focused, and are eager to do whatever you ask of them. They have been pretty aloof though, which, depending on your preference, could be good or bad.

I have a mini poodle (possible mix, but definitely 90% poodle), and he's just the best little guy. I rescued him last year, so he came with some reactivity issues, but with very little effort, we've worked through them and he's pretty freaking great.

He's easy to work with, extreme cuddle bug, is very active, but will find a toy or bone to amuse himself with if I'm busy. He has good dog manners, and is indifferent/shy with people outside, but as soon as they walk in the house, they're his best friend.

Once I can get my work schedule to coexist with training classes, we will start agility and I'm pretty sure he's going to be amazing at it.

It's also really fun to clip his hair. I had never touched clippers before getting him, and I think I keep him pretty decent looking. Plus the curls hide a lot of unevenness :p
A picture of him from today:

Doberluv

Well, as some of you know, last July I got two toy Poodles. One, my show dog, Matisse is 10" tall, the max for the toy standard and very athletic. When we complete his grand championship, we're planning to do agility. He's extremely busy, drivey, enthusiastic and very fun loving. He'll do anything. He's scary smart and can understand what I mean even if I don't. lol. Their ability to "get it" is just over the top. Learning something new takes just a few reps. What I've found though, is that compared to my Lab, Doberman, German Shepherds and even the Chihuahuas is that they do have a little independent streak...a little bit less willing to please than those dogs were. However, part if it might be that I have two the same age...even though I do things with them separately and they're quite focused on me when I'm interacting with them. But yeah....little bit minds of their own sometimes. I think they get bored easily and need some creative motivation at times. But very trainable nevertheless.

Maurice is more laid back...a real cuddle bug. Matisse will cuddle if I'm standing up. But if I sit down on the couch with him, it lasts about 15 seconds tops and he sees something he must go do. lol. Very busy. But that energetic, interested in everything...driviness and extreme speed and nimbleness will be an asset in agility.

Toy Poodles have the fewest health issues that they're prone to. But if you want a little bigger dog, I think a mini would be terrific. I wanted small after having Chihuahuas...love tiny so I chose the toy Poodles. Maurice is really small...3lbs, 14 oz last time I checked and about 9" tall. They both come from a spectacular breeder, very, very well known and Maurice just came out small. But he's healthy so far and has plenty of get up and go...just not as crazy as Matisse.

These are before he went into a Continental clip...still puppy clip. So he's a fru fru at the shows. The rest of the time, he's my wild child who plays outside in the yard, gets burs in his hair, mud on his feet and eats poo just like Jose` if he gets a chance. So, he's still a dog...just gets dressed up for shows. lol.

Maurice...he almost always stops in a stack. He wasn't trained to stack. He just free stacks naturally every time. lol You can see how demure he is next to Jose` who's about 10 lbs and I'm not sure how tall. It's easy to pick Maurice up with one hand. He's like a feather. But I must be careful of him...put him in his ex pen if I have a party because not only the black makes him hard to see on the Oriental rug I have in my family room, but he's just so small. So, there are considerations when having such a tiny dog. I wouldn't recommend the toys for families with little kids. A mini is a really nice middle ground.

Oh, one thing I really love after having a dog reactive breed is that they aren't typically. They tend to like everyone. My Poodles are very outgoing and friendly. They can be a tad reserved with strangers I've heard. Mine aren't but they are still young. So far though, the ones I know are very well socialized and just very nice dogs and easy to take places.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
They're incredibly naughty and can never be trusted! If Lincoln was a younger dog (he's almost 6) I'd try my hand at doing SAR with him. He's always on or into something, definitely a very smart breed that needs something to do.

From my experience, they're the healthiest out of all three sizes. I would even go as far to say they're most driviest/energetic as well.

Members online

No members online now.