Digging with his muzzle?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Lucas just came in from outside with his muzzle covered in dirt. For some reason instead of digging and burrying his things like a normal dog would he just pushes the top soil over it with his muzzle. I keep stepping on his toys and find there is barely any dirt over them, there is just enough to hide the toy (even though you can see the little mounds). I find that really weird......any Idea's as to why he wouldn't just dig a hole like a normal dog would?

Not saying it's a problem, but I find it weird. :rolleyes:

Saje

Island dweller
I think it's normal. My dogs like to use there noses. Especially Nanook and Maverick. Nanook is always shoving and moving things with her nose. And Maverick really likes to stick his head in the water and search for clams with his nose.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Saje said:
I think it's normal. My dogs like to use there noses. Especially Nanook and Maverick. Nanook is always shoving and moving things with her nose. And Maverick really likes to stick his head in the water and search for clams with his nose.
But he has never dug anything with his paws.......I would think he would have dug something up. :confused:

S

stirder

its pretty normal and natural. the instinct is from wolves who usually dont have a bone to bury, they have a whole moose/caribou/elk/deer to save for later. they will scratch some dirt with their feet, muzzles, and sometimes urinate around the carcass. most dogs will just shovel a bit of dirt over the toy/treat. sometimes they will dig to bury.
strider likes to stick his head in the water all the way to his ears, then he blows air out his nose, then looks up at us with a dripping face like "wasnt that cool?"

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
OK.....I guess I was just more prepared for "dogs dig.....it's just what they do" then him not digging. Cause for Malamute breed discription it says they love to dig...so this just came as a surprise that he didn't dig I guess.....oh well Guess I got lucky :)

Saje

Island dweller
do you ever show him? we showed maverick in the sand on the beach and he's loved it ever since
I don't know if newfie's are known for digging

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Saje said:
do you ever show him? we showed maverick in the sand on the beach and he's loved it ever since
I don't know if newfie's are known for digging
Once I took him to the beach and started digging a River with him and he dug and he seemed to really enjoy himself, but he has never done it after that unless I start digging and cheering him on lol but even that takes alot of encouragement for him to start digging. I have never seen him dig just by himself or any holes or evidence of him digging.

Saje

Island dweller
You know, you'll probably regret it if he does start digging up your yard. Play with him when you take him to the river and it enjoy it then. Be glad you aren't filling in holes all the time.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Saje said:
You know, you'll probably regret it if he does start digging up your yard. Play with him when you take him to the river and it enjoy it then. Be glad you aren't filling in holes all the time.
Putting it that way makes me feel lucky :)
I just thought it was a little wierd. :rolleyes:

bubbatd

That's very normal. EliN's Yogi would even do " pretend" covering when he didn't want to eat.

Members online

No members online now.