Terrifide of Storms!!!!

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
Pixie has a HUGE problem with rain and storms but it actually just they thunder that scares her. We have to make sure we knowthe weather everyday because if it is going to storm she has to be given her perscribed sedatives. If she does not take them she goes CRAZYYYYYYYYYY. SHe barks and growls and jumps on us. She also digs and has accidents inside do to stress and all. She also drools ALOT during these episodes and has soaked my blanket and pillow before. Its sad we have to medicate her because she does just sort of shut down and its just hard to see because she is usually so active. But the vet said she could cause harm to us or herself someday if she is'nt sedated.

I have heard of dogs being afraid of storms but not to this extent. Do any of you have a dog with the same problem or know a dog with the same problem? If there any other way I could help her through this was out the medication?

Also with out the sedatives during storms she will pace and pace pace and will NOT lay or sit down I mean she is in sheer panic.

bubbatd

I don't know how old she is, but this is something that should be approached in puppyhood. This was a long thread quite a while ago.......you have to make fun and games out of it....can anyone pull up the thread ???

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
bubbatd said:
I don't know how old she is, but this is something that should be approached in puppyhood. This was a long thread quite a while ago.......you have to make fun and games out of it....can anyone pull up the thread ???
She's 8 years old. Her previouse owners said she did not have a problem with storms until this past year. They claimed to not know what sparked the fear.

bubbatd

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! At her age, all I can think of is to take her to a porch during a storm and try to re-assure her it's O.K. Are you afraid of storms ???

amymarley

Doggie valuim.... settles the nerves. Just like anyone who may have anxiety about anything. Your vet should get you some. Most are pill form, but if your dog has epilepsy, than it's a syringe through the butt.... bet it goes quicker that way, so he/she might give it to you that way, if it's extreme. If you want quick relief, tell him/her that he/she bites him/her self, bites carpet, wall paper, etc... you should get some relief...

Athe

I have heard wonderful things about a calming herbal remedy called rescue remedy. In my area you can pick this up in most health food stores or supermarkets that sell dog foods and natural food items/vitamins.

Athe

http://www.herbalremedies.com/resrem10ml.html?source=google&engine=adwords!32&keyword=%28rescue+remedy%29&match_type=
Some info on Rescue Remedy

Amstaffer

I had a friend who had a Collie who was deathly afraid of storms. He bought one of the those CDs with thunderstorms on it and played it on real low while he went to work. Everyday for several weeks he continued to play it. Every couple of days he would turn it up just a little (he made sure his collie was ok with it before he left). He said that it somewhat got her (collie) used to storms but nothing helped for the real loud storms. He also moved her into the basement and turn up the TV a little louder and held pet her during storms. That help too.

On "becoming afraid" I had a 3yr rottie female who was never afraid of storms until one time we had a REALLY bad storm that even knocked stuff off of our walls; she was scared of storms forever after that :(

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
Ok thanks for all he suggestions I like that cd idea and we actually have a cd with storms on it. I just need to find it. Thank you all so much hopefully it helps her a bit.

Members online

No members online now.