Crossing into the US from Canada - with dog

Hi all. So Venice is going to visit a friend's cabin with us next week, which is 20 minutes over the NY state border. Said friend knows the border guards at that crossing well because he is back and forth every week, and they never ask him for his dog's papers anymore. He SEEMS to think all I need is her proof of vaccination, but it's been so long since he's brought his dog's proof he's not sure.

Any idea if I need anything more than her most recent vaccination certificate? This is the Quebec-New York border.

Assamiea

We've only ever needed proof of rabies vaccination, and quite honesty chances are that they won't even ask for that. Most of the time my dogs are in plain sight while crossing the border and we're never asked for anything regarding them. I think in hundreds of trips we've only been asked for proof of rabies vaccination once and when we first got Rocky one guard wanted to make sure we didn't buy him in the US and try to bring him over the border undeclared (the convo literally went - Border Guard: "did you get that puppy in the US", Me:"No from a breeder in Toronto", Border Guard: "Ok")

krissy

All you need is proof of current rabies. The tag is not enough though... you need to bring your actual certificate signed by your veterinarian.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Yeah we've done it a thousand times (family lives in Ohio and we visit a lot). You just need proof of rabies/vaccinations but we have never been asked once.

Thanks everyone. Supposedly they are a little pickier coming back into QC so will be sure to have the actual certificate with me. Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.