Why (insert sport/activity)?

BostonBanker

Why did you first start whatever dog sport/activity you do?
Sad confession time (although I think I've already confessed it). I actually taught agility before I had ever seen it done. I got hired to teach dog training classes right out of college by one of my professors. It included some beginner agility classes. I liked it right from the start, and really wished at the time that I had a dog to take through classes (but the 13 year old Bedlington wasn't interested, thanks for asking). When it was time to get a dog again, I went in to it knowing I wanted to do some agility.

I also plan to refund all the people I taught their money if I ever get rich. Because seriously - I should not have been teaching agility.

What drew you too it, made you take that first class or go try it that first time?
The sheer panic of graduating from college and having no plan drew me to take the job offer.

As for getting in to agility - I was already very involved in horses and horse showing. I knew I liked the idea of competing with my pets. I liked the give and take and the training aspect. I liked that agility competitions felt less life threatening than showing the horse (Tristan was kind of a punk for a long time...). It felt like a cheaper, safer way to get my fix of competition and showing off how cool my animals are.

How fast did you become really interested in it?
I was interested from the start. When I adopted Meg, I figured agility was not going to happen because of her fears. I took one class to see if it would help make her braver...and we just never stopped. I think after probably 4 months or so of classes, when I started to see her really changing, I knew I wanted to keep working and try to get her ready to compete, even if just once.

AND what would your biggest/best piece of advice be for other newbies looking to wade into that sport or activity be?
Find someone who is producing competitive students to learn from, even if you think you just want to do it for fun. The ones who take it seriously and are training students to be successful are the ones who are most likely to be up to date on safety issues and the most effective training methods.

Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
People who are really exceptional don't need to bad mouth other people.
This +1.
Agreed. With a very few exceptions, the people I know who are successful are the ones who are either incredibly supportive, or at the very least not bothering to discuss other people. They don't need to do it to feel better about themselves. It always seems to be the people who are struggling themselves who want to tear at other people.

Slick

Kristina
Why did you first start whatever dog sport/activity you do?
Well, I play ultimate frisbee, so I always wanted to do disc dog as an extension of that. When I got Leo I transitioned him away from a ball and towards a frisbee in short order

What was that first experience getting your toes wet like?

I have only gone to one competition (throw and catch, not freestyle) because it is the only local one, but it was amazing and we did so much better than I thought. It was Leo's first competition and I wasn't even sure he would even play Frisbee with so many dogs around (at the time dogs took priority over Frisbee, this is no longer the case). But we ended up getting 4th place out of 30+ dogs which came as a huge surprise to me. We actually almost missed finals because I was so sure we hadn't done well enough that I almost left!

We haven't done freestyle yet, but I definitely want to. We just play around with tricks right now, I have never taken a class. Right now, I am the one of the two of us holding us back, because I just can't figure out how to teach him some of the tricks. Once I figure out how to communicate with him, he catches on like that. For instance, he learned how to rebound in two 5 minute sessions, but it took me two months prior to that to find a way to teach him how to do it.

Anyways, we just dabble, but I am excited to get more into it over time.

I haven't picked a sport for Pippa and I yet (although the more time I spend with her, the more I think about it), and I love reading through everyone's responses! Right now we are just going to take classes until something sticks. We just finished puppy basic, and the instructor has her heart set on turning Pip into an agility dog, but as yet she steers like a locomotive :rofl1:

Members online