Are any of your family members 'dog people?'

teacuptiger

floor dancer
All my family has dogs, but I wouldn't really call them "dog people". They all like dogs, have had them for years, but basically average Joe about them, I guess you could say. Have dogs, like dog, however not dog savvy about things like health, nutrition, training, breeds, etc.

My grandma on my dad's side is a bit more dog savvy, however. She feeds better food and stuff like that.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
When I think "dog person", I think of someone who has researched things about their type of dog, have a breed or breeds they like, researched food, ect. Most attempt to make sure their dogs are good members of society and are interested in learning how to deal with issues. In general, I'd say you get that when you have someone who is interested in dog sports but you can also have it in people who aren't. :) I know this forum is a lot more lenient on a lot of this than others. Average dog owner is someone who has a dog and feeds it stuff from the grocery store and maybe keeps it inside and if they are lucky, they get to go on walks. Obviously this is my opinion.

As far as my family, the vast majority are average dog people. They have and mostly like dogs but they aren't dog nuts like me. The only two who I would say are "dog people" are my dad (who I can't attest to very well) and my sister. They have a Dutchie from Europe who they show in conformation. I know they've done quite a bit of research on the breed. They plan on breeding her, not sure if they are doing health testing or not. Pretty sure she eats Iams. When I was young, we did have a few litters of Labs. No health testing or contracts or anything. All parents were hunted, but did live outside.

I'm kind of hoping my sister catches onto some better habits in the future, tbh.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
No. They aren't people that should really own pets, for the most part. They don't get vet care (except my grandparents horses, they get pretty good vet care actually), they certainly don't get trained, etc.

Since Mollie passed my mom said she wasn't getting any more pets, and since then my sister dumped one of her dogs on my mom. It's just frustrating, and I feel so bad for the animals.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Yes this ^

As I have mentioned before I do not make the kind of income that allows me to participate in dog sports or events. Doesn't mean that I haven't always been interested in agility, flyball, dog diving, etc.

So because I can't afford to take the classes I can't call myself a genuine "dog person"? That is hilarious but sounds like the typical attitude.

But yeah I was always grew up thinking a dog person was a person who...um... loves dogs? But hey what do I know? LOL
Umm...I don't have a dog,& I've never owned one. But, I'd considered myself a "dog person". I'm not sure if others see it that way...because I don't have a dog.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
A lot of my family has dogs, who mostly lead pretty good pet lives. Pretty universally one dog max per household. Some indoors, some outdoors. Some good food, some Ol Roy. Some active, most not so much, few leave home very often. But as a rule they have food, shelter, health care, affection, and seem pretty happy.

There is one extended family member who does a lot of agility but she is vehemently anti-AKC and anti-Border Collie so we don't really talk about dogs at all haha. That's the only person in the competition side of the dog community.

BostonBanker

Nobody in my family, close or the extended family I really know, has even a single dog. I don't think my immediate family would have ever had any pets if it weren't for me. My parents both like dogs just fine, and go above and beyond taking care of mine when I'm at work, but they don't like feeling tied down by pets or dealing with the shedding and such.

We have a couple of cat people in the family, but pets in general just aren't a big thing. My maternal grandparents both love/loved animals, and I think my grandfather in particular loved dogs and also worked with horses logging. But they didn't own any in my lifetime.

Members online