Fence Dilemma

I'm finally getting the work done on my home, and with that comes a huge 6ft privacy fence. I'm so excited, this will be the first winter I don't have to freeze my tush off with taking out dogs. :)

Saying that, the dogs are the main and probably only, reason for this fence. We have been trying to figure out ways to put it so I can just open the door and let them out, but this is proving to be a challenge. The contractor had a good idea of putting up a deck, adding gates to it and allowing me to let the dogs out this way. But, I'm too leery about them seeing something too fun and hopping out the deck. I don't know, maybe I'm over reacting.

But what I'm trying to get at is I seen on this show [cats from hell] where these people wanted to confine their cat to the back patio, but the cat kept jumping and climbing the fence [duh]. To solve it, the guy put some netting tilted inwards on the top of the fence. Even though the cat could probably get through it if they really wanted to, it gave some illusion that they couldn't and the cat no longer jumped the border.

My question is would something like this work for dogs too, if I put something like that on just the deck? It is very important that my dogs don't get out and safe. Otherwise we are going to extend the fence around the deck part, but I am a little concerned this will look tacky, or funky. It just seems like it would be overkill and not look proper. I'm all ready fencing in the huge lot to my side, but to fence in the front too? I'm just so uneasy about this all.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Overhangs do work to contain dogs as well! You might also consider something like a coyote roller - it would look less prison-like. ;)

Oh thank you, this is an awesome idea...though I am unsure if the rollers would work on a deck with a wider base?

Not sure, but def going to look more into it and bring it up to contractor. They would look so much better than the idea I had, in that case. :)

I am being told a overhang will not work with a deck, and some dogs may still jump over being it's only a few feet. Are there any solutions at all for this, without having to go with a electronic collar [really don't want to mess with them].

The only other solution I can think of is to fence in the deck, but this really isn't appealing to me either. :(

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
It depends a lot on your dog and how they might jump - feet up on the edge would mean that the overhang or coyote rollers would both work, but if they clear it without touching, only added height will help.

Romy

Taxiderpy
It might look better to fence in the front yard, but instead of a privacy fence for the front do something more open like that aluminum stuff made to look like wrought iron. Not seeing your house it's hard to visualize how the deck and everything would be laid out.

Without seeing your deck it is hard to give a good suggestion. But, I sometimes use bird netting around the garden for deer and it is practically invisible. It might be better to just go ahead and put up a fence and be done with it. You have many choices in types of fencing. Maybe you could find one that would fit will with your house.

Deck

Are you thinking they are going to jump through the spaces in between the horizontal deck walls or over the top deck rail? If through, what about lattice?

I've seen photos of a kennel on half of a deck, with doors that allowed the dog to be let out from the home's sliding glass door to the deck, and the kennel funneled the dog down the deck steps to the fenced-in yard. Of course, now I can't find the photo! I thought it was a genius solution to this sort of problem.
Here is a pin of similar set up: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/127648970662550835/

Last edited:

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
We are also building a new fence, ours is a 4 ft wooden plank and galvanized steel rolled wire. We have two sides done but my folks went on a trio so we haven't been able to get any more done.

Thanks for the replies. I am mostly worried about them hurdling it, especially if seeing an animal or a leaf blowing across the road. It's just one of those things I would prefer not to take any chances on.

If I had a backyard [I have 2 large lots to each side of my house], I'd probably be more likely to do that idea you posted Three, but it's going off the front of my house and I'm not sure it'd look real good. I am now thinking about making the deck more of a privacy deck with some lower railings [but a bit higher than normal] with gates and bringing the fence off it still, but instead of using the deck as a main way out, just put a doggy door through the side of my entry way of the house and add some basic steps into the fenced area itself. Would look a little tacky and probably decrease resale a tad [though I'm not looking to move any time soon after this], but would take away the fear of the deck jumping. I could still have them up on deck, but when I am right there with them.

Members online

No members online now.