Pug question

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Someone I know has an old pug. THe dog is blind, the eyes are completely crusted over. The gnats buzz those eyes when the dog is outside, which is only briefly to be relieved. It just seems like something could have been done..eye drops, gel, something to lubricate, I am not sure she wouldn't have been better off with the eyes removed and the eyelids sewn shut. I don't see how the dog can possibly blink over all that crust. Is this common?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Someone I know has an old pug. THe dog is blind, the eyes are completely crusted over. The gnats buzz those eyes when the dog is outside, which is only briefly to be relieved. It just seems like something could have been done..eye drops, gel, something to lubricate, I am not sure she wouldn't have been better off with the eyes removed and the eyelids sewn shut. I don't see how the dog can possibly blink over all that crust. Is this common?
Pugs are prone to having eye issues such as entropian, Ulcers, Distichiasis, Exposure keratopathy syndrome, Keratoconjunctivitis sicca, and Pigmentary keratitis which are all preventable or curable/treatable.

However there are a couple that are genetic (or thought to be) and are not curable. One is Progressive retinal atrophy which is not curable and there is no treatment, the other is Pannus which is thought to stem from an immune disease. Pannus however is treatable.

It sound like Pannus is what this dog has.

Pannus
An immunologic eye disease characterized by blood vessels and scar tissue invading the cornea. by abnormal growth of tissue over the cornea.
Signs: Fleshy growth on cornea
Causes: Unknown but certain risk factors, such as ultraviolet light, altitude, and breed are thought to be involved. Believed to be an immune mediated disease.
Treatment: Steroids (such as dexamethasone and prednisolone) provide some immunosuppression as a side effect. Cyclosporine (Optimmune), is an immunosuppressant and applied topically alone, or in combination with steroids often results in better control of pannus than the use of steroids alone.

It's not common persay, but it's obviously been known to happen... And common sense tells us that the sooner you start treating the better.

Saeleofu

If the eyes are non functional and are bothering the dog, we ALWAYS give people the option to have them removed. I've seen a couple dogs with both eyes removed and they do fine - much better than they did with painful nonfunctional eyes.

Lolas Dad

In addition to what the others have said how about a pair of doggles for the dogs eyes to keep the gnats from buzzing them when outside.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I think that was what bothered me most. Seeing them crawling with gnats and the dog not being able to blink. THere has to thick spiky crust all over them that makes it impossible for her to close her eyes. I have never seen her blink. Maybe she can but I don't see how and why she doesn't when bugs are on them. It makes me sick to see this.

Members online